Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the main option we wanted on our Caliber was the MusicGate but not one of the dozen cars in the area had the option...Since it is taking monthes to get one ordered, we settled for a loaded sxt sport with only bluetooth and musicgate missing...

Now I know the holes are all in the trim for the extra music gate components and I also know that somewhere in the eBay world, someone is gonna have a caliber and haul out their system to add their own. So, is it feasible to buy one on ebay and throw it in? would the panels all just not fit right afterwords or what?

Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok from what i have read here and what i understand about the musicgate system is way more than just 2 extra speakers... it's the whole setup with the boston acoustic system... the music gate system is powered not just by the head unit but also from an external amplifier sooo... theoretically if you were to get the housing with the speakers... add your own amplifier... probably meaning you need a new head unit then yea i guess you could add the music gate... however would def not be anywhere near as clean an install as the factory setup

·
Registered
689 Posts
You might be able to get the amp and speakers on Ebay, but thats probably all. You would need a complete interior side panel for the sub install to be MusicGate, and then for the fold down rear speakers, you would need not only the speakers, but you would need the entire inside rear panel.

And all that is really not going to be practical for someone to change out and put on Ebay, taking speakers or amp out for better speakers yeah, but not the panels. Cost would be the major factor.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
not to mention the wiring that goes all the way back there.. it was built as a musicGate-less sxt.. so odds are, the wiring isnt there either (unless there are other speakers there, that arent flipdown?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I did mean the entire musicgate system, not specificlly, nor even necessarily the flip down speakers... I'm interested in the entire BA system that maybe someone pulled out when they "pimped" it...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well like Suzq044 said, I doubt the wires would be there. So even if you got the system off eBay, you'd still have to put a lot of hours just into running the wires and then figuring out where they all go. I can't believe you can't find a Caliber with the MusicGate. It used to be that way in my area, but even now I'd say 75% of all Calibers on the lot have the MusicGate in them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
cdoran said:
yeah, I did mean the entire musicgate system, not specificlly, nor even necessarily the flip down speakers... I'm interested in the entire BA system that maybe someone pulled out when they "pimped" it...

Thanks guys
Even someone pimping it, it would be very strange for them to replace the side and rear door panels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ejfb said:
Even someone pimping it, it would be very strange for them to replace the side and rear door panels.
Just to clarify, why would the door panels change? They seem to be the same to me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
I can't believe you can't find a Caliber with the MusicGate.
I can believe it. I don't think they even were building them with Musicgate until very recently. That is what held up my order, I was told. Seems like everyone on this board who has been waiting for their SXT, and now either just got theirs or it is on the way, also had Musicgate as an option too.

·
Registered
689 Posts
cdoran said:
Just to clarify, why would the door panels change? They seem to be the same to me.
MusicGate has a different side panel on rear passenger side, to incorporate the subwoofer and whatever behind it. The rear tailgate panel is different to allow for the swingdown speakers.

·
Registered
901 Posts
katiescaliber said:
I can believe it. I don't think they even were building them with Musicgate until very recently. That is what held up my order, I was told. Seems like everyone on this board who has been waiting for their SXT, and now either just got theirs or it is on the way, also had Musicgate as an option too.
I've got MusicGate. Ordered March 6, delivered April 5. Come to think of it, the legendary "first owner" Silverfox had MusicGate too.
So it's not that it wasn't available.... Perhaps delays on parts happened for some other reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll agree that musicgate is a very good system, but as you'll prolly find out, its not that cheap to buy from ebay, if its even available. And, as people have already mentioned, it'll take you alot of work to wire it up, and you'd need panels because the subs and the speakers are different, theres 6 speakers instead of 4 I believe, so you need to make more room for the speakers. Hence, this alone will set you back a fair bit. That being said, if its kick ass sound you're looking for, consider kicker sound, its fairly expensive but its killer sound. If not, go for rockford fosgate, I was at best buy the other day, said they could install two 600 watt amps, a sub, and 6 speakers for around a grand. I figure if you try and do the BA system it won't look to stock, and its prolly inferior to fosgate sound with 150 more watts. Final conclusion:

Its not worth it man, just get aftermarket, it'll prolly sound equally as good if not better, and will prolly look better, and cost around the same.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah just upgrade you stock speakers with the bostons, as a matter of fact I have a pair of 6.5's for sale. It would just be easier to put in new speakers add a sub and an amp. Then you would have a better system then the musicgate though that system does sound nice in my wifes caliber.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the cut outs for the other 2 speakers are already there you just have to add the speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lukeinva said:
the cut outs for the other 2 speakers are already there you just have to add the speakers.
this is what started me thinking in the first place...it seems just the rear two panels would be the only things..

·
Registered
171 Posts
What I would do is just go to crutchfield find some good speakers and then replace all the ones that you have and the ones you dont have just add them. Get an amp hook the speakers to the amp, get a sub and another amp hook that up and bam your good to go. I did boston acoustics in my 300 7 speakers with rockford fosgate amps it cost $800. And once I get everything in its going to sound great heck I just have the 6x9's in the back and the 3in dash speakers then stock speakers in the doors and it sounds great now and I dont even have my amps or sub hooked up yet!

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just hooked up my sub and amp yesterday. its sounds so good. its a boston G2 12'' woofer and a JL 1200e amp. that combo makes this lil hatchback thump. i have a sxt with stock speaker and they are like 15 watt POS 6x9's. but in the near future i forsee aftermarket bostons. ive had bostons in every car ive ever owned and i stick to them.

·
Banned
554 Posts
^ Don't fix it if it's not broke I guess, but there's a lot better gear out there than what Boston has to offer. No offense. I was involved with with one of the leading subwoofer OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) in the world & used to be an "insider" when it comes to car audio products.

Have a look at the Dodge Ram in my sig if you think I'm just talking out my azz.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts