Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I want my windows tinted. However, being the fussbudget I am, I don't want to have my car look like one of the Mexican jalopies with the bubbled tint film down the road. I've seen some people's tint jobs (film style) done by a reputable place, and I still don't like it. (microscopic bubbles, showing edges, etc)

Now, my question to you all is this. Is it possible to get the glass smoked? Or is that something that is done while the glass is made, so I'd have to install all new glass. Might be a good excuse to open the rear windows at 100 MPH to see if they implode ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Find a Tint installer offering a lifetime warranty. Go with quality, name-brand tints (3M) and get laser-cut tints . Make sure they've been in business for a little while or your 'lifetime' warranty won't mean anything. Check with the better business bureau, and get some references and see how previous customers tints have held up. L8r.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Scottesh said:
I took mine to Ziebart and for under $300 I got mine tinted 50% rear and 35% front they offer lifetime warranty, and does have the laser edge cutting system. They offer lifetime warranty. I already took mine back for a little speck in the film andtheyreplaced it no hassles.

http://www.ziebart.com/prodServicesMain.htm
Why dd you go with a lighter tint in the rear? That' backwards from most people. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
Well, I want my windows tinted. However, being the fussbudget I am, I don't want to have my car look like one of the Mexican jalopies with the bubbled tint film down the road. I've seen some people's tint jobs (film style) done by a reputable place, and I still don't like it. (microscopic bubbles, showing edges, etc)

Now, my question to you all is this. Is it possible to get the glass smoked? Or is that something that is done while the glass is made, so I'd have to install all new glass. Might be a good excuse to open the rear windows at 100 MPH to see if they implode ;)
You're going to pay about $250-$300for a good tint job on the car, but it's well worth it. Shop around, and don't go to the place we did up in Miramar. They left the jagged edges, which can't be seen from the outside, or when the windows are rolled all the way up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The extra few dollars is worth avoiding aggravation later. I paid $100 to tint my old Lumina, lasted about 2 years before fade and peel. I'm going with a shop that has a great reputation, and charges for it. $225 for the Caliber, but lifetime guaruntee. As I went to the shop to check them out I saw they were working on a Maserati from the dealership as well as a few other more common models from dealerships which gives me the impression they have earned the right to charge what they do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MetroAWD said:
Make sure they've been in business for a little while or your 'lifetime' warranty won't mean anything.
Actually my tint is warrantied by the manufacturor. I could take it to any other authorized installer and get it fixed in the future :D

Nearly all bubbled/purple tint is either a bargain basement tint job or DIY projects.. I've never personally seen good quality professionally applied tinting have problems.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
the bubbled tints are from at least ... 12-13 years ago [they used a different film then.. ours wont do that]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts