Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is already a thread asking about fog lights HERE, however, it doesn't exactly cover the question I have.

Is it possible to install aftermarket fog lights behind the bars/louvers that cover the fog holes in a Caliber not equipped with fogs? If it is possible, what would be the possible down side to having the fogs behind the louvers? I think having the louvers there would protect the lights from damage and provide an interesting look having the lights shine through them.

From the other thread, it appears that if one wants the fogs without the louvers, they either have to be cut out or a new bumper cover installed. I want to know if ts possible to install fogs without doing either.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hello Michael,

Having the fogs behind the louvers would need some custom modification, unless there is an aftermarket company that produces them with all their mounting hardware. I do not know of any out there for that application.

The second way, I believe the Mopar/ Dodge will be coming out with a kit, again not sure if it out yet, that allows the fogs to be inserted the second way you mentioned. You may have to ask a dealer if the kit is available yet, but I thought I read somewhere that it will be available. It is a kit that requires the cutting out of the louvers to place or mount a black circular piece that the rest of the hardware will attach to. It should come with a stalk so you can control them from the inside like if it were to come OEM. Not sure how indepth it will be, but should be pretty easy if all the mounting wires in the bumper are capped for those without factory fogs, same with inside the steering column.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
Having the fogs behind the louvers would need some custom modification, unless there is an aftermarket company that produces them with all their mounting hardware. I do not know of any out there for that application.
Fabricating mounting brackets wouldn't be a problem. My neighbor is a professional fabricator and owes me a favor.

Other than the fabrication, I was just wondering if the black plastic piece behind the louvers is easy to remove, if there is room behind that area to accomodate fogs, and if there would be any serious downsides to having the louvers in place with fogs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
make sure any mod you do can pass inspection, that's #1.

the louvers will block some light if left in place, logical no? they might even being to melt over time if the lights get hot enough. the stock fogs probably not powerful enough for that (like their light output haha) but aftermarket fogs well who knows what flamethrowers you might get :)

stoneguard is a good product. basically thick but optically clear and non-distorting plastic film you cut and stick onto headlight glass. do that if you are worried about lens breakage.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The stoneguard film is awsome. Had some on my Dakot that I totaled in a wrek. Had went through thr sets of aftermarket fogs getting cracked lenses before I bought some of that to put on. The fogs surived my front end collision with no daage other than a knick out of the stonegurd. Was abl to remove the film and the fogs themselves look like new still.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree that the stone guard is useful with the cost of the new Fog lights as they can't change just the lense you could end up forking out a whole new unit.
I think all cars are designed so you can upgrade after a while if your pocket is getting heavy with other options but Fogs are a must in the countryside for too many badgers, foxes and rabbits are hard to spot at that raid height without a decent set of headlights.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The aftermarket fogs on my truck are actually brighter than my headlights. At least it seems that way. And I have higher wattage headlights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts