Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Caliber into the dealer last week, the service dept saw my aftermarket wheels. Today, I recieved a letter stating that if anything should happen to my car, and the aftermarket wheels are the cause, this will void my warranty.... :mad:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
901 Posts
yep, that's true of any mod or aftermarket add-on....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Were the wheels designed for your car? Correct lug nut spacing? Factory spec tire size?

If the answer to all those are yes, then no, it can't void your warranty, if no, then it would only void the warranty as far as wheel and tire, but like everything, if for some weird reason, the wheels damaged any other part of the car, highly unlikely, they are right, what ever they damage wouldn't be covered.

One thing I have noticed though, Chrysler's warranty kind of sucks for the most part.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ejfb said:
Were the wheels designed for your car? Correct lug nut spacing? Factory spec tire size?

If the answer to all those are yes, then no, it can't void your warranty, if no, then it would only void the warranty as far as wheel and tire, but like everything, if for some weird reason, the wheels damaged any other part of the car, highly unlikely, they are right, what ever they damage wouldn't be covered.

One thing I have noticed though, Chrysler's warranty kind of sucks for the most part.
ejfb said:

Yea, I know if the wheels damage any part of the front end, then those parts would be void, but the letter said, the warranty is void. I'll take there asses to court if they try to void my WHOLE warranty. To top it off, I have a $200.00 deductible!!! I called and spoke to a General Sales Manager, he asked me, what could he do to make me happy after I threatend to have a lawyer contact the dealership. I simply said, I wanted a lower deductible. He said he would look into it tomorrow morning, and he would call me. I'll keep yall posted.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amandyke said:
You mean a $200 deductable on the factory warranty??
Nope, I have a G.E. Extended Auto Warranty, paying $1581.00 for it too. :confused:
But, I shall prevail and get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Getting in the car will void the warranty:p :p :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
What a bunch of crap. They can't void it if it is at specs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The GE warranty does not become active until the OEM warranty expires. At least that's the way I've always seen the contracts written. Although I think that purchasing the extended warranty at the time of purchase is a bad idea, that's a completely different topic.

The description of the letter you received is not very complete. To understand the situation you are in, the sending party (dealership, Factory Warranty people, Aftermarket warranty people, etc) needs to be revealed. The actual text of the letter, not just your interpretation of it, needs to be revealed. Also the list of "cc's" at the bottom of the letter needs to be disclosed.

Without that info, I can give you specific interpretations, with examples, of how the letter you received could be 100% accurate, or false. The biggest help will be the actual text, as most people tend to interpret what they want to see, or what they fear, from wording that is intended to cause that response without actually saying that. A good example would be a recent thread where unoriginalname has no idea what I'm really talking about as I pull the strings that make him dance....:D They could be making you dance for no reason at all...

·
Registered
67 Posts
You may have bought an aftermarket rim that is the same bolt pattern and offset and diameter and offset of the stockers, BUT, if it does not weigh the same then you have changed the driveline dynamics and yes they can void the warranty on the driveline.
sucks but true.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dale Seeley said:
The GE warranty does not become active until the OEM warranty expires. At least that's the way I've always seen the contracts written. Although I think that purchasing the extended warranty at the time of purchase is a bad idea, that's a completely different topic.

The description of the letter you received is not very complete. To understand the situation you are in, the sending party (dealership, Factory Warranty people, Aftermarket warranty people, etc) needs to be revealed. The actual text of the letter, not just your interpretation of it, needs to be revealed. Also the list of "cc's" at the bottom of the letter needs to be disclosed.

Without that info, I can give you specific interpretations, with examples, of how the letter you received could be 100% accurate, or false. The biggest help will be the actual text, as most people tend to interpret what they want to see, or what they fear, from wording that is intended to cause that response without actually saying that. A good example would be a recent thread where unoriginalname has no idea what I'm really talking about as I pull the strings that make him dance....:D They could be making you dance for no reason at all...
I guess you could say that. But being that it was my FIRST TIME BUYING a brand new car, I'm sure you can imagine the pressure I was under. The finance manager told me, the only way I could lower my car payments (not that I couldn't afford a higher one), was to get the extended warranty. I know BS when I see/hear it, and this was bullshit to me. It will be dealt with, believe me.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Darnice said:
You may have bought an aftermarket rim that is the same bolt pattern and offset and diameter and offset of the stockers, BUT, if it does not weigh the same then you have changed the driveline dynamics and yes they can void the warranty on the driveline.
sucks but true.
Yada, yada, yada. It's not like I have 22's on there, They're friggin 18" wheels! The damn SRT4 has 19" wheels on it, and it's not even AWD.

·
Registered
506 Posts
well stipulation of the contract... i mean yea it's the same thing but who knows.. keep in mind there are people who would put 28 inch 50 inch wide rims on their car and wide rims will put a crazy strain on that front end... so that i'm sure is why the aftermarket rims will void the warranty... protect themselves against morons with OVERLY OVERSIZED DISTASTEFUL RIMS

·
Registered
506 Posts
granted i want a set of 18 inch OZ rims... and regardless of the warranty mine are gonna go on lol

·
Registered
506 Posts
anyone know how much the stock rims weigh? i got the SXT with 17" aluminum

·
Registered
689 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
I guess you could say that. But being that it was my FIRST TIME BUYING a brand new car, I'm sure you can imagine the pressure I was under. The finance manager told me, the only way I could lower my car payments (not that I couldn't afford a higher one), was to get the extended warranty. I know BS when I see/hear it, and this was bullshit to me. It will be dealt with, believe me.
Yeah that is a major sales tool to get you to buy the Extended Warranty, and it is totally false, it doesn't change a thing with the finance company, it just makes the dealer more money. Only advantage to it is that it is suppose to be cheaper at time of sale.

Now having said that, being that this is a totally new car, engine and transmission wise, an Extended Warranty sounds like a good move. But treat it like you would buying something, demand the best deal, you can even buy one on the net at a cheap price or use the internet price for negotiations at the dealership. I would suggest a Chrysler Warranty over anything else, you will have way less hassels.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So.... I just got off the phone with the GENERAL SALES MANAGER, he said he spoke to the insurance company, and that THEY said the lowest deductible, would be $50.00!!! But yesterday, I spoke to the insurance company, and THEY told me that the DEALER was responsible for the extended warranty, since the dealer sends them the application, which they (G.E.)then sign off on. The dealer makes money off the extended contract, not the company (G.E.)!!

Anyway, my deductible is now..... *DRUMROLL* $50.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice work! My auto insurance is really insane, I got a $1000 deductable, hopefully I dont get into any accidents...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great and GE should be ok, you will just have to use that dealer to make things go smoothly, anything else, other dealer or so, will be a pain in the you know what. But as far as making money, GE and dealer make money on the warranty, dealer has pretty good markup for profit. Remember GE gets to make money on your money for 3 years before they have to shell out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts