Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have photos / instructions about how they installed their aftermarket Sirius or XM radios? I'm looking mainly for the plug and play versions - I'm pretty sure my husband is buying me one for Christmas (!) and I want to see how easy the installation of the antenna might be to do ourselves, as well as different mounting ideas for the Caliber. I saw a couple of posts here and there by using the search feature on the boards, but I wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction for more details.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't currently have pics, but i ran my antenna in throught the top of the left rear door and around under the seals...then under the drivers seat. I have my radio velcroed at about a 45 degree angle in the space between the shifter and center console. I thought it was a good location, because of the proximity to the dc jack...very short run of exposed wire. I just tucked all the excess wire up under the side of the center console. No permanent alterations to the car. I can take pics if this sounds like something you're interested in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I installed a Sirius receiver in the wife's SXT. Attached the supplied mounting plate to 2 pieces of 2x2 wood and wedged it in the cubby below the radio. Antenna is all the way forward on the top of the dash. Power and antenna cables are messy but I plan to rout them through the back of the cubby out of sight. Works almost as well as the factory Sirius in my SXT Sport. Maybe a few more dropouts. I may move the antenna to the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put my antenna at the rear, just in front of the hatch. Ran the cable up to the front by tucking it under the plastic molding on the roof. Then into the engine compartment and into the cabin. Although the antenna had a magnetic base, I still used some black silicone adhesive to attach it to the roof. I'm at work right now till 4:00 am, but I'll try to post a picture of how it looks tomorrow morning when I get up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is it possible to just throw an antenna in the back seat or something and have it work well? I'm just wondering because I've noticed my handheld GPS unit doesn't seem to have any trouble being blocked by a car roof. I was going to pick up an XM unit (Maybe the Inno), but didn't want to route wires all over the car, I may move it to another car every once in a while.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I run a GPS controlled ham radio system in my Caliber here
are 2 pics of the combo antenna/12 channel rcvr.
Holder made from hand formed aluminum with small lip to
catch plastic edge of side trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
That looks pretty good. How is the reception? Does it drop out if you're facing a certain direction?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Principal said:
That looks pretty good. How is the reception? Does it drop out if you're facing a certain direction?
It only receives data from the GPS satellites and I can't really observe the
radio system it's connected to as it's installed it the rear under the side
panels.
Its only purpose is to report the location of my car and plot speeds,altitude
and register every turn while it's on.
The system is part of a world wide ham radio position reporting system
it very seldom misses a report data stream so I assume the antenna
location works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, folks. I would love descriptions of antenna placement too, as that's my major concern. :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My antenna is in the same place as Old_Dude put his. i to routed the wires under the black roof moulding up to the edge of the front door where the little seam is in front of the mirror. Tucked it under the black plastic triangle piece there, and up under the dash through the door. I used the little worthless cubby hole on the drivers side of the dash. I have a Roady XT, and just used double sided tape to hold the bas in the cuby. Fits perfect and looks good there. Plus it's in easy reach and visible for the driver. I cut a hole in the back of the cubby to route the wires, and bought a hard wired FM modulator and tucked it under the dash. It goes between the factory antenna and radio. When the XM is on, it cuts out the FM frequency I have programed into the XM(and quite a few others) so you have no outisde interference. If you want to listen to regular radio, you have to turn the XM off, or all the stations will be staticy. I have no visible wires in my set up. Cutting the hole in the back of the cubby and routing the wires isn't for the faint of heart, and was a PITA, but was worth the effort to hid all wireing. The 12V power cord is also hard wired into the cigarette lighter wires, and with the auto turn on function enabled on the XM, it powers on when the car starts, and turns off when I open the doors after truning the car off, just like the factory radio.

·
Registered
683 Posts
On my 2004 Durango I ran the antenna wire up the drivers side A-Pillar and tucked it along under the window/roof line weather strip to the rear. I then exited it out the rear high mount brake light and up onto the roof. Everything is hidded and looks factory. I prefer clean installs, no wires showing etc.

I'm sure this same method could easily be done with the Caliber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts