Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I just recently purchased a Caliber over memorial day that was a standard SE model on sale which didn't have A/C in it. I was just wondering if any of you know where you could get an A/C compressor for the Caliber and about how much it would probally be? Also, I was wondering if the Chill Zone will work since I didn't get a stock A/C. Thanks A Lot:D !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Installing AC in any car is somewhat of a major undertaking, an AC compressor is just one small part of it. You need hoses, evaporator, condensor, dryer, and many numerous other things to get it right. Not sure if it would be a practical thing to do yourself unless you were totally experienced in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
I am not sure why people do this, buy a car with no extras, because they dont want to pay more money, and then they turn around and spend double what it would have been from the factory for a system that will never work right.

If you dont have A/C in the Caliber you bought, think about selling it and buying one with A/C. It will save headaches down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
I am not sure why people do this, buy a car with no extras, because they dont want to pay more money, and then they turn around and spend double what it would have been from the factory for a system that will never work right.
My favorite:

"I bought an automatic 1.0 liter and now I want a stick 2.0 liter turbo. How hard is this to change and do I need more than a phillips head and a pair of needle nose pliers?

P.S.

I just graduated from High School (YAY!!) and money is tight (I got no job...yet!) so I gotta keep it cheap."

Yeah, I think Wal-Mart sells a 2.0L/Turbo/AT>MT Conversion Kit. It's one aisle over from the air fresheners. If not, try JC Whitney.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FlyingTurd said:
My favorite:

"I bought an automatic 1.0 liter and now I want a stick 2.0 liter turbo. How hard is this to change and do I need more than a phillips head and a pair of needle nose pliers?

P.S.

I just graduated from High School (YAY!!) and money is tight (I got no job...yet!) so I gotta keep it cheap."

Yeah, I think Wal-Mart sells a 2.0L/Turbo/AT>MT Conversion Kit. It's one aisle over from the air fresheners. If not, try JC Whitney.
Already checked JC Whitney, they don't have a thing for the caliber yet. Apparently what I am trying to do seems to be pretty hard then. If it is possible at all, about how much would all the parts be w/ install. Thanks!!!

And P.S. I am just graduating from highschool so you hit the nail on the head ;) .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
At minimum it would be in the $2000 range probably with labor and all, probably more. Really not a practical thing to do after the fact, see if dealer will take back and give a deal on another one with A/C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
To answer your question about the ChillZone... you get that with the factory a/c. If you didn't get a/c, the space is just another storage cubby. (No open/close vent, no bottle/can mat.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
DodgeDude said:
Hey there, I just recently purchased a Caliber over memorial day that was a standard SE model on sale which didn't have A/C in it. I was just wondering if any of you know where you could get an A/C compressor for the Caliber and about how much it would probally be? Also, I was wondering if the Chill Zone will work since I didn't get a stock A/C. Thanks A Lot:D !!!
I don't see it being worth it. Not to be rude, but I would say trade or sell it for a Caliber with A/C, maybe you can get a few other goodies along with it, and pay just about the same it would cost for a retrofit.

(I can't believe they sell cars without A/C still....:eek:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I installed A/C in my old Grand Cherokee a few years ago for less than $10. Only problem, every time I pulled out of the driveway the extension cord would unplug!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
that was hillariouse... dude try the factory 55x4 A/C 55 mph and 4 windows.. it works quite well actually lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
xlimodriver said:
I installed A/C in my old Grand Cherokee a few years ago for less than $10. Only problem, every time I pulled out of the driveway the extension cord would unplug!!!!
Thats funny!:D:D:D

mudstone said:
.. dude try the factory 55x4 A/C 55 mph and 4 windows..
Thats funny too, haven't heard that in a while!!:D:D:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
All estimates as I no longer have access to Mitchell-On-Demand and Mitchell Labor Guide or any dealer pricing.

New compressor - $400
New condensor - $300
Suction line assembly - $90
Discharge line assembly - $90
Expansion valve - $120
Orifice tube - $9
Evaporator - $500
Dash control unit - $275
Harness - $70
ChillZone assembly - $110
R-134a - Probably around 36 ounces so $27
Compressor oil - $12

The evaporator core is in the dash, the average dash tear down usually called for about 6 to 7 hours, average compressor labor was about 1.5 hours, condensor labor varied so let's estimate 2 hours. About everything else would fall under the same areas as those three main components. So we have about 12 hours worth of labor in all and at a $70 flat rate that is $840 in labor.

Now with the parts..

But before we do that, let's price out a non-A/C Caliber versus one with A/C: $13,985 versus $14,985. Only a $1,000 difference, so let's see what that figure is parts and labor to convert a non-A/C Caliber to one with:

$2843

So you are willing to pay almost three times as much than you would just trading back in for one with A/C?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I don't know if the SE has the plug-in under the armrest. If so, problem solved. Just yank the old 1500 BTU unit out of the bedroom window, prop it in one of the back windows and plug it in. No extension cord needed!!!!!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top