Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and couldn't find anyone else talking about this, but when I am driving with the air conditioning on, I turn on the recirculate by pressing the button, and the light comes on. But when I shut off the car and then start it again, it is not on, and I have to turn it back on again.

Anyone else think this is odd, or just me. My Dodge Ram truck has a button for the same thing, and when you shut off the truck with it on, it comes back on when you start it again.

Let me know if this is normal or not. Maybe I just need to read the owners manual, but it is in the car and it is at the dealership getting the paint and interior protection on.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's normal. It says something in the guide about not leaving it on all the time, sorry I can't remember why, and I don't have the guide handy. Just something that you have to remember to do each time you start it, if you want it on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My rear defroster and cruise control buttons on my current vehicle are the same way.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yea that took me a while to get used to… the AC works much better on a hot day with the recirc on. I think on my PT Cruiser it was a dial but I don’t remember anymore.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Wife's Dakota is on the Air Conditioning Dial, but my 2003 Dodge Ram has the same button, but it stays on. You are correct, the Air works much better on a hot day with the Recirc. Button on.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
901 Posts
Fitz said:
It's normal. It says something in the guide about not leaving it on all the time, sorry I can't remember why, and I don't have the guide handy. Just something that you have to remember to do each time you start it, if you want it on.
(got the book handy)
They recommend not leaving it on all the time because the inside air can get stuffy and window fogging may occur.
(Remember, you are recirculating the inside air and not pulling any fresh air in. So any moisture you exhale does build up. but SLOWLY. it's not like you're gonna suffocate or anything!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The reason for not having the recirculation on all the time is that in humid conditions the difference between the inside air and outside may result in fogging....usually at the worst time.

That and it gets friggin cold with it on all the time ;)

Regards

·
Registered
371 Posts
One thing I do when I'm the only one in the car, which is most of the time, is shut the far right passenger vent closed. It's kinda like hitting a second recirculate button. Even down here in the Houston area, the A/C blows mighty cold in my Caliber!:cool: :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Recce by Death said:
That and it gets friggin cold with it on all the time ;)
...says the canadian! :rolleyes:

Here in Texas we NEED it on.. otherwise the A/C doesn't ever really get "cold". In 110 degree weather recirculate is essential. The A/C in the caliber really doesn't put out enough cold air anyways - I had to add a desk fan to my back seat so my kids wouldn't overheat.

I posted about my annoyance with the recirculate "feature" in the things you don't like about your caliber thread.. along with the radio not keeping the "aux" mode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It also helps prevent the system from developing a moldy smell, when you use recirc as mentioned above the moisture is retained.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
easterbun said:

Here in Texas we NEED it on.. otherwise the A/C doesn't ever really get "cold". In 110 degree weather recirculate is essential. The A/C in the caliber really doesn't put out enough cold air anyways - I had to add a desk fan to my back seat so my kids wouldn't overheat.

I posted about my annoyance with the recirculate "feature" in the things you don't like about your caliber thread.. along with the radio not keeping the "aux" mode.
Get the windows tinted. It helps the A/C cool a lot better than not having tinted windows. The price to get them tinted is well worth the results. The car looks better and stays cooler. I'd be willing to bet it that on my Caliber on a hot day, it made a difference of about 5 degrees by having the windows tinted, and while 5 degrees doesn't sound like a lot, it is a huge difference in the car with tinted windows where the sun isn't beating down on you. We actually have to turn re-circulate off now, even in 90+ degree weather because it gets so cold in the car. And this is only on a 1/2 hour drive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine are tinted! 35% in the fronts (as dark as I can legally go) and 20% in the back. It's just insanely hot here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
easterbun said:
We have our warm spells as well....reaching 110 does happen. I won't get into winter.

Now if you want to compare Texas to say Dubai or Afghanistan heat....:p

Now onto the tinting...best thing I ever did and you may want to look into getting some put in. Most brands are UV rated and knock out about 98% or better.

It may cool your car a bit more.....and your kids as well. ;)

Regards

·
Registered
103 Posts
See above post ;) lol

Texas heat is different than Dubai or Afghan heat.. or even something like AZ heat.. it's HUMID here... so it's often 110 with 60-70% humidity.

·
Registered
371 Posts
easterbun said:
See above post ;) lol

Texas heat is different than Dubai or Afghan heat.. or even something like AZ heat.. it's HUMID here... so it's often 110 with 60-70% humidity.
I was in Oklahoma City not long ago, and I was painting my Caliber in 106 degree heat, which I didn't find all that bad, since the humidity was lower than ours. Up north when there's a heat wave, they can at least know it will end soon. Our heat wave lasts from March to November with no forgiveness. Don't know about Dubai or Afghan heat- never been there, but I hear it is pretty brutal.

What part of Texas ya from Easterbun?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I heard its bad for the A/C later in time. Having it on when you turn on your car makes the A/C run harder. People told me to have the A/C turn off when you start your car, it helps the engine and makes your A/C last longer.

I do however have a moldy smell when I turn it on, any suggestions on how to remove it? But it only last for a few seconds...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I remember Right, There is a filter behind the glove box. I don't know if it is on every model or not though. Maybe checking that would be a start.

The Manual says to remove the Glove Box Bin then there are 4 retaining clips that hold the cover in place. It says to replace once a year.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Scjon03 said:
I do however have a moldy smell when I turn it on, any suggestions on how to remove it? But it only last for a few seconds...
Yurn the A/C off and run straight vent for a couple minutes each time before you turn the car off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts