Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've noticed my first real problem but it's not a major issue.

The air vent direction selector control has a problem. When I turn the selector to all of the selections other than window defrost I feel it lock in letting me know it's selected. When I turn it all the way clockwise to window defrost I do not feel it lock in and when I turn the fans on HIGH the selector moves counter clockwise by itself off defrost. It seems to move 100% of the time when the temp is zero outside but not when it is warm in the car. In the plant all these contols are all checked to make sure they blow air out the correct selections, which mine does. I can see how this might have been missed since in the plant it worked correctly. The key here is that even warm you can feel it not locki into that selection. I have talked with the team leader in that area about the problem to try and catch any others that come down the line with the same problem. I'll note this is an outside vendor error, we don't build the dash/IP and no this is not a company secrect. Back on the Neon we UAW members built the whole dash/IP. We lost the IP line as a cost savings for the company so now lower paid non-UAW workers build them outside the plant. Most problems can be traced back to a vendor issue.

The repair guys in the repairhole that fix any problems written up on the cars said it sounds like one of the cable clips is not seated fully from the vendor. I wish DCX would allow employees to bring their car in to the plant to be serviced, too bad they don't. I'll give more detail after I get it fixed but not sure when I'll get around to that. I still have to make time to get the windows tinted that I've already paid in advance for and don't forget I have so many Calibers to still build! :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got a similar problem. When the fan is on high, it's really hard to turn the temperature control. It's OK to a certain point then it seizes. Feels like it's going to break if I force it. Strange thing is, when it's not on high, it doesn't do it...:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
kdogg said:
I've got a similar problem. When the fan is on high, it's really hard to turn the temperature control. It's OK to a certain point then it seizes. Feels like it's going to break if I force it. Strange thing is, when it's not on high, it doesn't do it...:confused: :confused:
Sounds like maybe the cables are crossed behind the controls. Have you had the controls removed at any time?

·
Registered
256 Posts
No I haven't, but that sounds like a definate possibility. I need to make an appointment to get a few other things done, so hopefully they can check it out. I use my car for work during the week, so when I take it in on the weekends for service, they only have the oil change guys working.

·
Registered
901 Posts
kdogg said:
Mine is getting tight too, in a certain range of motion. I've never had the panel taken out for anything. This is an odd one, for sure.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I noticed that my temp control had a spot right near the end of its travel
where it appeared hard to turn,one day forgot abt it and just turned
past that point and seems fine now although it did make a clunck
as I went past that point.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Mine was actually tight as well but after replacing the face it has been normal again. I think it might be the cables hanging up on each other.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine has the same thing going on. When the fan is on high, the temp.select dial is hard to turn from (approx) from the 2 to 3 o'clock position. The rest moves fine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
No problem on mine, the temperature control is free moving regardless of how high the fan motor is set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts