Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to say, I was sooo excited when I bought my new Caliber. I got a fairly good deal on it...they gave me AWESOME trade in value for my 2002 Ford Focus. This is my very first brand new car. I now have 1200 miles on it.

I read in this forum a lot about the pinging. I am experiencing this...not only when I park, but also when I'm idling.

Another thing is that whenever I accelerate, I hear a rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from under the floor on the passenger side. It only happens on acceleration and that almost leads me to believe that it's a tranny problem. I took it to the dealer and the mechanic told me he can't do anything and to wait until it becomes a performance issue. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

I also noticed also that my front end alignment is off two or three degrees...but it's brand new! It should be perfect!

AND...I make use of my auxillary jack on my stereo for my iPod. I went to take the plug out of it today and the auxillary jack is completely loose and moving around in the hole.

Every day it seems to be something new and I am really regretting buying a Caliber.

If anyone has had any of these problems...let me know. Is there any solution!

·
Registered
506 Posts
you're dealer should be adressing these issues... if they aren't go to another dodge...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Lissachck said:
Is there any solution!
Well there apparently is a solution to the exhaust ping-sound, because a few members here have had that prob fixed on their Calibers.

I'd just take the car back into the dealer and keep explaining the problems and request that they fix them. You bought a brand new car, it should be brand new.

And welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Auxiliary jacks, for all their usefulness, SUCK. every single stereo I've ever had in may car with an aux jack has had the same problem with a loose connector. My solution? I tear the damn thing apart, add solder to the connections, then epoxy the living daylights out of it. Problem solved.

The pinging/exhaust noise... I know this may sound odd and even contradictory to everyone else's posts about it... but... All cars do it. Some worse than others due to the inherent resonance of the system... the pinging is usually no louder in and of itself, but the amplification of said pinging is different from vehicle to vehicle... another thing to factor into the equation - ground clearance. If a car with 3" of ground clearance made the same noise, you wouldn't be hearing it at such a high volume due to natural suppression and the fact that the "line of sight" is at a much lower angle. Calibers have kickass ground clearance, but this allows for the pinging noise to be further amplified... Perhaps a mid-production materials change is forthcoming?

Alignment is always out of whack on new cars. I've had a new 2002 neon (pulled like hell to the right when I got it) and a new 2003 mustang (toe was all screwed up and it had no high-speed stability) a trip to the dealer for a quick toe setting is usually all that is needed to fix the issue.

the rattling is most likely an easily addressed clearance issue involving one of those stupid heat shields...

Your dealer, again, will almost assuredly be able to take care of these issues with a visit to the service dept.

Lastly, this is a brand new platform and there will be some issues here and there until everyone has reported back and informed dcx of their gripes. The caliber underwent approx. 2 million miles of on-road tests before production, and most likely the engineers that did the driving cared more about overall solidity and powertrain performance than rattles here and there. Unfortunately, that leaves the consumer to discover these issues on a much broader scale and report back to the dealer service dept. about them... In turn this info gets passed back to dcx and the issues get tsb's and are resolved on later production vehicles.

It's not just the caliber... it's every car ever built by anybody, anywhere.
feedback makes the quality go up.

just keep us all informed of what was done to fix the issues! :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
The pinging/exhaust noise... I know this may sound odd and even contradictory to everyone else's posts about it... but... All cars do it. Some worse than others due to the inherent resonance of the system... the pinging is usually no louder in and of itself, but the amplification of said pinging is different from vehicle to vehicle... another thing to factor into the equation - ground clearance. If a car with 3" of ground clearance made the same noise, you wouldn't be hearing it at such a high volume due to natural suppression and the fact that the "line of sight" is at a much lower angle. Calibers have kickass ground clearance, but this allows for the pinging noise to be further amplified...
Sounds like typical dealer BS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
GOT said:
Sounds like typical dealer BS.
huh? no. How could this be "typical dealer bs?" I've only been selling for 6 months, man. I used to sell apple computers until my boss sold the company out and I got cut by the new owner (typical). I'm a 26 year old car nut who just so happens to have been able to drive literally dozens and dozens of different cars over the years... The exhaust pinging noise is normal.

I've sold chevys and dodges, worked on mazdas, gmc's and buicks, owned many fords, and currently drive a honda civic. Every single vehicle has made pinging noises.

Until somebody can name me an alloy that doesn't expand when heated or contract while cooling to use for an exhaust, the noise will persist.

and don't tell me high-tech ceramics... a: they're still fragile, and b: they're silly expensive.

Here, go test drive 3 different cars from every manufacturer selling in the U.S. and tell me that not once you heard silence after shutdown. They all do it. Some are just worse than others at damping the noise.

Kepp in mind that the caliber is not a Lexus. It's a Neon replacement... a.k.a. "economy car."

It's not supposed to be perfect. Or cute.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
^^ My Matrix XRS never pinged once in 100,000 KM.... nor did my car before that in 80,000km... pinging/improper detonation is NOT normal and is damaging to the engine... ground clearance has nothing to do with the engine missfiring

·
Registered
689 Posts
Uh oh, two different things here, I think he is talking about the exhaust pinging, and you are talking about engine pinging.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
Kepp in mind that the caliber is not a Lexus. It's a Neon replacement... a.k.a. "economy car."

It's not supposed to be perfect. Or cute.
Wow, thanks for talking me out of wanting to buy one... we have a dealer saying when we fork over 20+K CND in a segment loaded with competition from the Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Honda Civic, VW Golf, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris etc. that we should expect poor build quality from Dodge since it is priced in the economy class yet the competition manages to produce small economy cars with defect per 100 unit ratios comarable/in line with more expensive cars

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
Wow, thanks for talking me out of wanting to buy one... we have a dealer saying when we fork over 20+K CND in a segment loaded with competition from the Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Honda Civic, VW Golf, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris etc. that we should expect poor build quality from Dodge since it is priced in the economy class yet the competition manages to produce small economy cars with defect per 100 unit ratios comarable/in line with more expensive cars
Poor build quality? A pinging exhaust does not constitute poor build quality. Metal expands and contracts. All exhausts ping. If you don't hear it from a lexus it's because the exhaust on said lexus cost $3000 more than the exhaust on the caliber because lexus buyers have a tendency to nitpick every single detail.

Also, if my simply stating that all exhausts contract and ping, and that the caliber is not a lexus convinces you not to buy a caliber... You didn't want one that bad to begin with. In the grand scheme of things, an exhaust that makes some noises after you shut off the engine is EXTREMELY insignificant. A Harley can get away with it... why not a Caliber? I actually think it's kinda cool that it creaks and groans a bit after shutdown... just like a race car!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this just with CVT-equipped Calibers?

Reason I'm asking is: the engine's torque-loading characteristics are vastly different if you've got a CVT tranny... the exhaust would, as a result, have to endure more heat and cool cycles than in a conventional situation. ...or at least that's my thinking. any takers?

I wonder if the CVT Nissan Murano's do the same thing? or that new CVT ford thing they have out (fusion?)... food for thought.

Try reading this over:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7201&highlight=exhaust

and this:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-47559.html

this one is from "Popular Mechanics"
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_clinic/1272046.html?page=3&c=y

here, too... on $50,000 Yukon Denalis
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t188572.html

Got this from Dodgeforum.com:
From Engineering:

"Customer complains of severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. A design change was made to relieve this tight fit. This will reduce the cooldown ticking noise from the exhaust to a normal level.
The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced if a customer complains of this condition. "

Clean point in production is 5/1/2006.
So with the Caliber it has a weird slip joint thingy that makes it louder than NORMAL, and the dealer can replace the slip joint thingy which should reduce the sound to NORMAL levels. It won't go away, but apparently the fix makes it less irritating.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
Poor build quality? A pinging exhaust does not constitute poor build quality. Metal expands and contracts. All exhausts ping. If you don't hear it from a lexus it's because the exhaust on said lexus cost $3000 more than the exhaust on the caliber because lexus buyers have a tendency to nitpick every single detail.

Also, if my simply stating that all exhausts contract and ping, and that the caliber is not a lexus convinces you not to buy a caliber... You didn't want one that bad to begin with.
salesman_type_guy said:
Kepp in mind that the caliber is not a Lexus. It's a Neon replacement... a.k.a. "economy car." It's not supposed to be perfect. Or cute.
Nice side step on the direction of your original post lol; I was more interested in the dealer saying "It is an "economy car, It's not supposed to be perfect"

·
Registered
81 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
Alignment is always out of whack on new cars. I've had a new 2002 neon (pulled like hell to the right when I got it) and a new 2003 mustang (toe was all screwed up and it had no high-speed stability) a trip to the dealer for a quick toe setting is usually all that is needed to fix the issue.
Sorry, s_t_g, but I gotta call "bullshit" on this one. Alignment is not "always" out of whack on new cars. If it was, the 5 new cars - 6 counting my perfectly aligned Caliber - I've purchased in my lifetime (46 years...) would have been back for alignment - none have ever needed it.

Sounds to me like you've just been through the "Bullshitting Customers 101" class during your indoctrination to car sales......:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
MikeinWoodstock said:
Sorry, s_t_g, but I gotta call "bullshit" on this one. Alignment is not "always" out of whack on new cars. If it was, the 5 new cars - 6 counting my perfectly aligned Caliber - I've purchased in my lifetime (46 years...) would have been back for alignment - none have ever needed it.

Sounds to me like you've just been through the "Bullshitting Customers 101" class during your indoctrination to car sales......:D
nah, just personal experience... come to think of it, neither of the 2 new cars I bought came with a PDI slip for me to take home, so I guess that might explain it... damn lazy stealerships. Funny thing is, when I revisit the old contract copies, I realize that I've been ripped off. Sucks.

I've only been a salesman for 6 months. I take home $184 a week if I don't sell anything, so I have to stretch the truth sometimes. I'm not trying to sell crap to anyone on here, so I can be perfectly honest and not get bitched at by the boss. Life's hard when you get less respect than a lawyer and 1/1000th the pay.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
salesman_type_guy said:
Cut me some slack.
ROTFL!!! Who put you on this BS-march? You need to wake up and smell the coffee. The loud constant exhaust ping is NOT normal most cars do NOT do it. I've only had one other car out of the 16 or so I've owned that even remotely made a similar cooling-down-exhaust ping and that was my 1966 air-cooler-VW-Beetle. Not a single other car I've owned made such a racket when cooling down. And 18 grand is not an economy car and a 14 grand car had better run and run well! The last three econo-box cars (89 Omni, 97 Cavalier, 02 Cavalier) I've owned over the last 13 years ran almost flawlessly and they all cost me under 14 grand (and none of them made the exhaust ping!!!)!

I like the Caliber and what Dodge is doing these days but your cronyism-bs is making you appear like a loser. Go back to school.

·
Registered
689 Posts
GOT said:
ROTFL!!! Who put you on this BS-march? You need to wake up and smell the coffee. The loud constant exhaust ping is NOT normal most cars do NOT do it. I've only had one other car out of the 16 or so I've owned that even remotely made a similar cooling-down-exhaust ping and that was my 1966 air-cooler-VW-Beetle. Not a single other car I've owned made such a racket when cooling down. And 18 grand is not an economy car and a 14 grand car had better run and run well! The last three econo-box cars (89 Omni, 97 Cavalier, 02 Cavalier) I've owned over the last 13 years ran almost flawlessly and they all cost me under 14 grand (and none of them made the exhaust ping!!!)!

I like the Caliber and what Dodge is doing these days but your cronyism-bs is making you appear like a loser. Go back to school.
Sorry, but I have to agree with STG, EVERY new car I have owned made the pinging exhaust sound, some not much, some a lot. And it does go away pretty much, with carbon coating from use. And I have owned ONLY new cars, 10 so far. Used cars I would expect the pinging has gone away by the time the next buyer buys it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts