Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
So a month ago I ordered my Caliber. I am very excited for it. At the time my dealer couldn't give me a timeframe (even estimate) or a price. I had configured what I wanted online and brought in a printout of that. He told me he'd order it. I gave him a deposit. He still has no information, no price no date, no idea about anything. I went to another dealer last week to see if they had any other or more enhanced info. The 2nd dealer is much larger. We talked about the car I wanted and he brought me to the "hooked up to the factory" computer and we configured my car. He gave me a soft estimate of late Oct, and gave me a price. He told me they had an allocation. The word peeked my interest. I told him I would be back. I went back to my orginal dealer and he said there is no such thing as an allocation for a caliber.

Who is right, should I cancel with the first guy and order from the 2nd? Is there an allocation for the caliber?

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is allocation for every model the dealer orders. Each dealer earns cars based on that models previous 90-Days sales, with their current availability factored into the equation. They must have allocation to get a car scheduled by the factory. I don't doubt that your salesperson has no knowledge of this, as they are usually not part of the ordering process.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer. Although it probably won't matter, Dealer 2 called me 5 minutes after this post to tell me he had the VIN on a Caliber coming to him in the next month that exactly fits what I want.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah the one dealer has to know about allocations for Calibers. All dealers have to deal with it. Its why you'll see some dealers have lots of Calibers and others get hardly any at all. Its Dodge's way of controlling things as best they can. So large dealers don't necessarily get more Calibers than smaller ones. If a smaller dealer sells a lot of Calibers and a large one next town over doesn't sell them very well, then the smaller dealer will tend to get more allocations to Calibers.

As it started out with Caliber's, allocations were based on previous Neon sales. I don't know if they still base it on Neon sales or past 90 days of Caliber sales. Although I think its hard to base it off Caliber sales right now because if you didn't get very many allocations to Calibers then obviously you haven't sold very many and so you'll continue to get hurt.

Anyways...it sounds like that one dealer is just playing dumb so you'll go elsewhere. Any dealer that won't give you a price or not tell you anything basically tells you they don't want your service. Any dealer can order the car right then and there and give you a price. They won't be able to give you a timeframe, but they can at least give you a price and tell if they get allocations to Calibers at the beginning of each month.

Glad you found one like you want coming to you. Hopefully they'll save it for you. I'd ask for my deposit back from the other dealer, cancel the order and put that money down on the Caliber coming in like you want so they'll be more apt to save it for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Actually, Calibers allocations were never based off of Neon sales. Initially, Caliber allocations were based off of Past 90 Days Dodge car sales (which did include Neon, but not exclusively). Currently, allocations are based off of past 90 days Caliber sales. Current availability is also factored into the equation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orangecalibersxt said:
Glad you found one like you want coming to you. Hopefully they'll save it for you. I'd ask for my deposit back from the other dealer, cancel the order and put that money down on the Caliber coming in like you want so they'll be more apt to save it for you.
I did exactly this, thanks, I will have my Caliber in 2 weeks!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
TommyLee said:
Actually, Calibers allocations were never based off of Neon sales. Initially, Caliber allocations were based off of Past 90 Days Dodge car sales (which did include Neon, but not exclusively). Currently, allocations are based off of past 90 days Caliber sales. Current availability is also factored into the equation.
Well I'm going off what my dealer said. I'm not going to call my dealer a liar as they have no reason to lie to me... You make the call.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Well I'm going off what my dealer said. I'm not going to call my dealer a liar as they have no reason to lie to me... You make the call.....
By no means am I telling you that the dealer knowingly lied to you, but the information I provided above is fact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts