Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can't go into specifics (anymore than I did in another post) but thought I'd show off some pics of a nekkid caliber:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/ultradark_2007/DSCF1600.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/ultradark_2007/DSCF1605.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/ultradark_2007/DSCF1599.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/ultradark_2007/DSCF1597.jpg

The saga continues....wish I could say more.. but my wife still loves her Caliber. Even if it is in this condition.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
holy crap! While its stripped dynomat!!!!! cover every bit of the interior in sound deadening!

Was it the dealer that stripped it all down like that? Its actually very easy to get to the main dash harness without removing the dash. I couldnt imagine doing all that just to get to it. These cars are very organized compared to the older stuff and contain a hell of alot less wire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fingernipp said:
holy crap! While its stripped dynomat!!!!! cover every bit of the interior in sound deadening!
Anyone wanna see a picture of an airbag module? Let's just say the interrior is 100% gutted. lotsa pics :)

Can't say much because it could get ugly, so I figured I'd show you what your caliber looks like nekkid.:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fingernipp said:

Was it the dealer that stripped it all down like that? Its actually very easy to get to the main dash harness without removing the dash. I couldnt imagine doing all that just to get to it. These cars are very organized compared to the older stuff and contain a hell of alot less wire.
It is at the dealer. Complete stripdown, replacement of FULL harness. It's all one piece. About 10-16 feet long actually.

Must say it is well organized though.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Too bad you cant play around... airbags can be pretty damn fun with a battery and a long length of wire. We used to half cars to replace front clips and we could not legally keep the airbags so we would bring em out to the parking lot to play :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fingernipp said:
Too bad you cant play around... airbags can be pretty damn fun with a battery and a long length of wire. We used to half cars to replace front clips and we could not legally keep the airbags so we would bring em out to the parking lot to play :)
It aparently is costing someone quite a bit of money to get this thing back in order.......I heard $3000 for a wiring harness alone (dealer cost). From what I can see it looks like a pretty well made car...

·
Registered
253 Posts
wow and i thought it looked goofey with out the front bumper on mine

·
Registered
277 Posts
??? all I can say is ??? please keep me posted as to what happens and what HAPPEND!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
so what is the actual problem

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
masterbm said:
so what is the actual problem
:D Wiring issues caused by either of the following:

A. A defect by Chrysler causing error codes to be present on the C.N.N.
B. Alarm company installed alarm improperly
C. Alarm company installed alarm properly, but dealer should have known there would be an issue.
D. All of the above.

We'll leave it up to you for now to decide, but the car is back together and was awaiting a few more parts when I spoke to the dealer today, but should be back to us early next week after the paint repair is done.

There were scratches on the vehicle when we bought it back in August, and the dealer sucked so bad we didn't go back to have them fixed. With all the trouble they caused us, they decided to finally complete the due bill...:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
well let just hope it goes better then with our mailbu it has been 7 timmes for some problem

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Cool photos. Thanks for showing. At first I thought something exciting was happening, like you were going to put a roll cage in or something. Sorry to hear that it's for problems. Hope it gets all cleared up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Now the *NEW* problem appears to be air bag related. The passenger-side airbag sensor in the seat is malfunctioning.

Chrysler really needs to just buy this car back. This has turned into a nightmare.

I think it's time I consult with my attorney.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ultradark said:
Now the problem appears to be air bag related. The passenger-side airbag sensor in the seat is malfunctioning.

Chrysler really needs to just buy this car back. This has turned into a nightmare.

I think it's time I consult with my attorney.
I have a question about that... I have only seen the "airbag off" light on just once, that was the first time I had my three year old in the front seat... (diving slow thru the neighborhood 5 houses down showing off car) since then, I have never seen it, with or without the kids or ppl in the front seat.... when is it supposed to go on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
enigmic said:
I have a question about that... I have only seen the "airbag off" light on just once, that was the first time I had my three year old in the front seat... (diving slow thru the neighborhood 5 houses down showing off car) since then, I have never seen it, with or without the kids or ppl in the front seat.... when is it supposed to go on?
The light on the console should be on when no one is in the seat (or under 70lbs), and should go out when someone is in the seat.

It may not stay on the entire time with no one in the seat though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here is a complete run down of the problems with the car since we've owned it:

#1. At about 2500 miles, the check engine light came on. Vehicle surging/hunting at idle. Took it to the dealer, reset computer. No issues. Hasn't happened since.

#2. We have had alarm problems since day 1. Alarm not disarming, kill switch not being deactivated. Took it to the dealer, replaced alarm brain with "compatible" unit.

3. Since the day we drove it off the lot, the Power Inverter has never worked. 1st Dealer Service (3K) we took it in, they misdiagnosed as cigarette lighter, saw no problem. Returned it to us. 2nd Dealer Service we took it in again, dealer replaced cigarette lighter and unit, returned to us. 3rd Dealer Service, I took the service guy out the car and plugged in my cell phone. "*OH* that has a power inverter, oh okay, we'll look at it". Called Monday, said they had to order parts. 7 Days later, return with vehicle, parts installed, now working..................................................

But they noticed that there was a fault in the C.C.N. related to power on the ignition wires. Diagnosed as alarm installation issue and suggested removal of alarm. We bought the alarm (KARR) at the dealership, it was ALREADY installed in the vehicle when we bought it and we didn't want holes in the dash, so we thought we were better off keeping it since it was a dealer installed option since they would warranty their work.

Dealership we had it serviced at, refuses to work on car, calls Chrysler who wants us to take it back to where we bought it. I picked up the car and drove it to the selling dealer, noticing crazy issues (like the seat belt light, check engine light..etc..etc coming on and going off randomly). Dealer looks at paperwork and says okay, we'll give you a rental and take a look at it.

We demand full replacement of factory wiring harness because they want to remove the KARR alarm and install a factory mopar alarm. We want our factory wiring restored, not a hack job. No problem, they will order a wiring harness. 3 weeks go by waiting for Dodge to send a wiring harness. Nothing being done to the car in the mean time. It could have gone to the paint shop while they waited, but NOOOO. First wiring harness comes in, nope car won't start, wrong harness, all kinds of sensors not reporting properly. Turns out to be a different harness with pins in a different location for different sensors.

Harness #2 arrives a week later. During this time, we find out that the dealer tech broke off the key in the ignition, so we gave him the extra key so that he wouldn't be messing up our ignition anymore. He was going to order a new key and reprogram the car. Don't know what happened with this one yet.

Harness #2 goes in okay, alarm is installed *NOTE* They drilled a NEW hole in the dash in a very retarted spot right on the top close to the gauge cluster, bad location, they really should have just used the FACTORY alarm LED light in the cluster itself, our comments are ignored. We note that the interrior panels, carpet, headliner and seats are filthy from mechanics touching them. Request a full detail of the car, as we brought it in JUST after my wife had it detailed ($155). They said no problem, we'll take care of that. From day 1 of the car being there, we said hey, while it's here why don't you fix the scratches that were there when we bought them and are listed on the due bill. They agree to do so, but after 45 days, it still has to goto the body shop and will only do so after the vehicle is supposedly fully running.

We also note that there are interrior panels that are scratched, some with deep black scratches, probably from lying on the shop floor. We request they replace them, and are told it would all be "taken care of", yet the parts are still in the car, scratched and all as of the last time I was at the dealer. I also note that they need to replace the dash trim because the KARR alarm removal left two large holes near the bottom. I expect a hole-free car. It needs to be returned to "FACTORY" condition.

#3 Rear window moulding on hatchback comming up. They put some glue on it and tacked it back down. Kind of lame if you ask me, should have been replaced.

#4 Rear window washer is leaking/dribiling after use. Told them about the TSB for check valve. Nothing ever done about it, "can't duplicate problem". Told them to wash the window, they said that they couldn't because if they did, they would have to replenish the resevior and that would cost them money. *GRUMBLE*

Dealer keeps pushing us off on company they contracted with to install the alarm. Chrysler's official word is that the "customer" is paying for the repairs, yet they know that the contracted alarm company is actually paying. Except that It's not the Alarm company's fault that Chrysler keeps sending the wrong parts, delaying things, but they continue to pay for the rental car. We are not customers of the Alarm company, the dealer is. We are the dealers customer. We shouldn't be told to contact the alarm company directly at all. Everything should've gone through the dealer.

Instead, we ask them politely to do a few simple customary things: Restore the Cars wiring to original integrity and factory spec, replace dash panel, replace alarm unit with a compatible unit, at the 30 day mark we asked for them to make a car payment and to refund the price of the alarm system minus dealer cost of the mopar alarm and $100 for them to install it.

All month long, they promise to make it right, and we hear they are discussing making a car payment, but 3 days before it's due they tell us that the alarm company won't pay a car payment because they are providing a rental car (*A BASE RENTAL CAR, NOT A CAR WITH ANY OF THE OPTIONS WE ARE PAYING FOR, WHICH IS COSTING US MORE MONEY IN GAS AND EXTRA LIABLITY BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF A RENTAL VEHICLE IS DAMAGED OR SCRATCHED, SOMETHING YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TOO MUCH WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING YOUR OWN VEHICLE*), and that if this was a Chrysler issue, they could cut us a "good-will check". They tell us to call the Alarm company, who tells us that they aren't even sure it's their fault and can't do anything until they investigate the matter further. Needless to say, were paying to insure a vehicle we can't drive and making a car payment on a vehicle that's been parked at the dealership.

Today, the service Manager and I speak about the vehicle. He says that Chrysler really should buy it back, because it's their problem that they sent the wrong parts, and are now paying labor to re-replace the parts that were wrong. He's supposed to contact the service representative tomorrow to discuss buyback, but I know it's not gonna happen.

In a nut-shell, you have the entire story with this car, purchased July 29, 2006. Getting the car back will still leave an uneasy feeling in our mind. We bought an extended warranty with the car, but that still does not make us feel better.

Will probably expect this to get legal quickly. I'm in contact with an attorney, but would rather spare Chrysler, the Dealership and the Alarm Company the expense of loosing in court. It's a complicated issue, but a slam dunk case.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What an incredible read to say the least! I don't know how you've lasted this long. You've got a Lemon Law case as far as I'm concerned. Actually I wouldn't want the car back at all. Keep us informed as things go along. I'm really sorry this happened to you. The car is jinxed.

Medic

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can play both sides here.....I am a costumer and I work at a dealership, as far as dodge sending the wrong parts, the people at your dealership are the ones ordering the parts they have to tell dodge what to send, so if they are getting the worng parts then it is the service dept. who is ordering the wrong parts. But being a customer I feel your pain! At least you are only a customer, you would think that working at the dealer would provide you with a little better service...not so. Even if I have an appt. if they are busy they will take other customers over my car because they know that my car will be here everyday and they can do it when they can. I have often thought about taking my cars to another dealer just so I can get better treatment! i hope all works out for you. Not everything is a slam dunk, and a lemon law requires that you have taken the car back 3 times for the same exact problem with no results. At least that is the case here in PA.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your story makes me sick. As for Chrysler sending the wrong parts, it happens. I order parts in the plant all the time to fix stuff and the very first thing I do when I get the part is make sure the part numbers match what I ordered. Clearly in your case the dealer/service dept didn't and therefore the labor to install the wrong part I feel is the dealers fault.

When I first seen the picture of how they had all of your Caliber parts after uninstall I went :eek:

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Your story makes me sick. As for Chrysler sending the wrong parts, it happens. I order parts in the plant all the time to fix stuff and the very first thing I do when I get the part is make sure the part numbers match what I ordered. Clearly in your case the dealer/service dept didn't and therefore the labor to install the wrong part I feel is the dealers fault.

When I first seen the picture of how they had all of your Caliber parts after uninstall I went :eek:

Please keep us updated!
Well..well...well.. New UPDATE!

Get ready...

Are you ready......

Okay...

Here it is....

The dealer is finally convinced that the vehicle needs to be bought back / replaced. This is great news because apparently the factory rep is in agreement too. Now it's a matter of how much the dealer and DCX will split between them as to who pays what amount of the car.

I see a new Dodge Caliber in my wife's future...an Orange one at that...and unless they can find an Orange SXT Sport w/ almost all the options, I think the only thing left is the Orange AWD R/T on the dealer lot which seems to fit the price...........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts