Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the oil filter special or has no one found a cross reference for the filter?

i guess i will take mine off tonight and go to the parts store and try to match it up.

haven't change my oil in 15,000 miles, still on the full mark?????

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Caliber Man said:
the service interval in 3000 miles/5000 KM or 3 months which ever comes 1st not really good to break in the engine.
If you actually read the manual, the 3000 mile oil change interval is only if you are driving in severely hot, or dusty conditions, or if you are driving in 90% stop and go traffic. Otherwise, it's 5000 mile change intervals.

·
Registered
77 Posts
orangeguzzi said:
is the oil filter special or has no one found a cross reference for the filter?

i guess i will take mine off tonight and go to the parts store and try to match it up.

haven't change my oil in 15,000 miles, still on the full mark?????
Say goodbye to your warrenty....you're wayyyyy over the service period.

·
Registered
129 Posts
WOW, 15,000 miles. No way would I ever let my new car go that long. I had mine in at 2600 miles. But, I have free oil changes for life, so you can guarantee it will be done every 3000 miles, or less.:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
HSKR said:
If you actually read the manual, the 3000 mile oil change interval is only if you are driving in severely hot, or dusty conditions, or if you are driving in 90% stop and go traffic. Otherwise, it's 5000 mile change intervals.
And what manufacturer's claim as "severe conditions" are normal conditions for quite a large area in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand what you are saying about the owners manual, But I am a Dodge Salesman and I still recommend my clients change their Oil and filter every 3000 miles or when using Full Synthetic oil 5000 miles

·
Registered
259 Posts
I always try to change mine every 3-5 k miles... not when it runs out :) I have never had a car that wasn't always on full and never had to add oil either.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You have 15,000 miles on it already!!!! :eek: Holy ****! You must have drove around the world a few times.

Honestly...15,000 miles is quite a lot for the first oil change. Thats not very good for your engine at all. I wouldn't be surprised if you have engine issues down the road.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Severe 3000 miles normal 5000 miles ?????

Either way you are far past either.

15,000 ????? Dude change your oil.

But hey it's your car. But if you start having engine problems later down the road, please don't start telling everybody that Calibers are crap. Remember to tell them that you would go 15,000 without an oil change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i said i haven't changed my oil in 15,000 miles. now that i think about it i haven't change my oil in years, i had the local repair shop do it. the rest of the story is the car had 12,5000 miles on it when i bought it. i was told by the dealer that it had been serviced. anyway i found a stp filter at auto zone, stp part number s10060 $3.69, at the dealer mopar cost $8.90. the oem filter is smaller and heavier then the stp filter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What do you mean you haven't changed the oil in years? The Caliber has only been shipping since February.

I still don't see how a Caliber can have 12,500 miles on it already. Even if it was originally sold in February, thats a ton of miles to have it in just a few months. Are we talking about the same vehicle?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Going in for the THIRD oil change already, yep at the magical 9000+ mark.

Had a relative that let their slant six go 60,000 without ever changing the oil. It died a miserable death. They were extremely old and we all thought they were getting the car serviced somewhere...... NOPE!!!

I don't think any new car engine would ever live this long without a change!!!!!!

15,000 is a lot of driving for a Caliber, but the dealer close to me has/had one for sale two weeks ago with an HONEST (I saw it) 17,900 miles on it!!! Early lease turn in I guess.....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
What do you mean you haven't changed the oil in years? The Caliber has only been shipping since February.

I still don't see how a Caliber can have 12,500 miles on it already. Even if it was originally sold in February, thats a ton of miles to have it in just a few months. Are we talking about the same vehicle?
On my '99 Dakota that I totaled, I averaged 700 miles a week with it from the day I bought it till I wrecked it. That would put 14000 in 5 months. Had 120K miles on it when I wrecked it. I buy my vehicles to drive, not sit and look pretty. Of course with gas prices now, I don't drive as much as I used to.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That was a silly thing to do...wreck it... Hmm.... :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
That was a silly thing to do...wreck it... Hmm.... :D
Yes, I know. ;) Wish I wouldn't have. Even though I bought another one to replace it. The new just isn't the same. The '99 I special ordered from the factory. Still have the window sticker saying "This vehicle made specially for Brian Cropp"

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
orangeguzzi said:
i said i haven't changed my oil in 15,000 miles. now that i think about it i haven't change my oil in years, i had the local repair shop do it. the rest of the story is the car had 12,5000 miles on it when i bought it...
orangecalibersxt said:
What do you mean you haven't changed the oil in years? The Caliber has only been shipping since February...
I'd speculate that you are misunderstanding his statement.

It was first misunderstood by several persons when he said "I haven't changed my oil..." (meaning HE didn't, a local repair shop did).

I speculate you are taking the second part of his remark incorrect.

I interpret that he is further saying he hasn't changed his own oil on ANY vehicle for years; that statement isn't just referring to his Caliber.

orangecalibersxt said:
If it was a leased vehicle used for a lot of travel (especially business use) or a long commute, that is very well possible. Even if it was owned for about 6 months and used 5 days a week - excluding all other use - putting 12,500 miles on it averages to just under 100 miles per day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts