Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

One for the uk owners Got sxt sport sunburst has any one got one if so do you have a chrome grille on the front i dont . Asked dealer and they said that the calier wont have chrome grille till end of year.Just looked at pics and they have them in germany any one now about this or are they pulling a fast one . Not that i need one cos i am colour coded and looks cool . But would be nice to no cheers

Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Top o´ the morning to you. :)

Hm...that won´t help you much, but afaik only the "pure" SXT versions have the chome grille, even here in Germany.
As soon as you choose the sport package, you lose the chrome grille, which imo sucks.
I also read in this forum, that the earlier SXT sport had the chrome one. Dunno why they changed it...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but in the US brochure, it shows the Chrome Grille on all models, except the SE. The Sport model shows Chrome, but during production in April, Chrysler decided to add more painted grilles to the mix, so they changed the Sport Grille to painted.

Also, in the Dodge line up history, the Sport version of most of its vehicles, has always had a painted grille, so I guess the change is really recognizing the fact that they made a mistake with the Chrome on the Sport Model.

I think what really happened is that the Chrome stands out a little more, and at first they wanted the World Car to stand out, and someone thought the Chrome should be on most models.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you look at the UK brochure, it clearly states that the Sport version has a chrome grille but everyone I've seen has the colour coded one :mad:

I'm going to check with my dealership to clarify the situation, but I get the feeling that they're not going to give me the answer I would like. If it doesn't come with a chrome grille I'll kick up a huge stink!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The UK brochure says in parentheses: late availability for the chrome grille surround, both for the SXT Sport (CVT) and the CRD SXT Sport (manual). My SXT (CVT) which is not the sport version has the chrome grille surround. Got mine 14th of July.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It looks like we must have different brochures then, mine's dated 06/06 and says under the Exterior Specification that both the SXT and the SXT Sport have the chrome grilles?

Welcoem to the forums by the way, how are you finding your Caliber?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, and thanks for the welcome.....I downloaded the spec brochure directly from the Dodge UK website.

I simply love the car so far! I don't drive it as much as I'd like; my husband has driven it more than I have! We've gotten a lot of looks, and one gentleman was intimately checking out the car when we were leaving a store, but hurried off when we approached. I wonder why he didn't ask us about it?

Anyway, we will be giving it a fairly good run this coming weekend when we go down south for a long overdo break. I will tell all when we get back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All UK owners...

Anyone from Scotland?....just ordered my caliber sxt, steel blue (Wife's choice!) dealer says delivery in 4 weeks........

Can't Wait

Mred

·
Registered
108 Posts
UKCaliber, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your new car - even if your being driven around in it!! I hope you have a great break.

Mred, you may well be the first Scot here, so welcome. Keep in contact with your dealer as I was told 6 weeks delivery on mine but it's rocked up in only 2!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I might become a Caliber owner on Friday 4th Aug..thats my test drive day ! and I cant wait....Sheesh ! I feel like I'm a little boy waiting for Christmas day.

I have opted for the 2 litre turbo diesel SE. I will probably go for the Sunburst Orange colour scheme too...whats the blue one look like in real life I havent seen one yet ??

Anyway, The Calibre hit me between the eyes with the wicked styling and low price and I was impressed to see a top notch VW power unit installed.

I have only read poor reviews about the caliber on whatcar, autocar and a few others but I am not going to be put off. They all tend to slag off the interior fit n finish but dont say a word about one of the worlds most reliable and powerful ( for its class ) engines.

To me the price of a car is everything and theres no way I would spend £18,000+ on a car. The calibre looks like its an 18k motor though and at £13,990 I think I'll get value for money.

So come on Friday..please !

Oh and I read that the drivers seat has only height adjust ?? is this another put off ploy, tell me it has forward and backward movement too because at 6'3" I'm an arkward sod at getting a seat just right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome to the Caliber Forums :)

I've seen the same reviews and to be honest, it's what I've come to expect from the British Motor Industry. As you've said, the Caliber is a lot of car for the money. I'm currently driving a Peugeot 307 GLX with all the bells and whistles but for that same car now, I'd have to pay at least £5,000 more than my Caliber.

I've been able to inspect 4 different Calibers at my local dealer and the issue with the interior fitout seems to be exaggerated. The only issue I agree with is that the centre armrest could have been padded and not solid plastic.

Good luck with your test drive and please let us know your thoughs afterward. The blue looks great but the Orange is amazing!! And I never thought I'd say that!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Drivers seat is the only one that goes up and down, they both go back and forth and the rear seat backs recline about 6 inches.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcoming, nice to be here.:)

Im in the UK too, just outside of Birminghams curry belt.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear the drivers seat is fully adjustable, the review I read was grossly misleading.

I think that with Dodge hitting or should I say gatecrashing into the UK car market with a 'desirable' and 'stealing' many prospective new Ford Focus, Peugeot, Mazda 3 and Volkswagen drivers, the British Car Industry along with these Japanese, French and German companies are not happy about it...at all !:mad:

Dodge are undercutting them by as much as 25% and a minimum of 10%.

When I went to my local Chrysler dealer ( 5 mins drive away ) and looked at the Calber I was impressed by the over all expensive look of it and couldnt believe that so much car was being offered for such a reasonable price.

I hope to get 17" alloys with the SE as part of the deal too. dont ask dont get !

With any 'cosmetic' discrepancies like the armrest as you say xlimodriver this could be covered over with a padded made to measure cover so it wont be a prob, I bet it would be fun and easy to make something too.

The most important part of any car is the engine. And with the VW 2 litre TDi which is the best of its class EVER as agreed by all motor correspondants I'm very very confident in future prospects of reliabilty and to me that is the most important criteria.

If any of you guys could post a brief reveiw of your Caliber in a new thread, I would love to read it...good points though, I'm tired of reading biased bad points from sour Ford journalist guys.

A Caliber Drivers Club UK would be cool too, shall we start one later lol....and I havent even got mine yet !

regards

·
Registered
141 Posts
ejfb said:
Hahahaha, of course it has forward and backward, no car would sell without that option.
The multi million selling Austin Mini did, for many years !

·
Registered
7 Posts
xlr8 said:
A Caliber Drivers Club UK would be cool too, shall we start one later lol....and I havent even go mine yet !
:D That would be too cool! Count me in!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi xlr8,

Just a quick question.......... which British Car Industry are you referring too ?

Oh, btw, I am british, I just live in Holland :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
DutchDave said:
Hi xlr8,

Just a quick question.......... which British Car Industry are you referring too ?

Oh, btw, I am british, I just live in Holland :)
Yeah I guess your right, since Rovers demise unless Vauxhall and Lotus are owned by foriegn car companies we havent got a British car industry.

Jaguar = Ford
Bentley = VW
Rolls Royce = BMW ( and the Rover Mini )
TVR = Russian
Land rover = Ford
Aston Martin = Ford

interesting to note too that Ford own Volvo
and General Motors own SAAB and Opel
whilst VW also own Lamborghini along with SEAT and Skoda

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually in hindsight, I think Lotus is owned by Proton and Vauxhall is another General Motors aquisition.

And even Dodge isnt Dodge anymore, now Chrysler-Daimler of course !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts