Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are crusing along and start to brake, but go back onto the throttle then brake again; you notice that the caliberr seems to contiune accelerating for a split second?

I thought it was odd. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
it also seems to me, at times, when you are braking that the car is still accelerating and that you have to mash the brake pedal even harder to get it to stop, seems as though it is pulling against you...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Haven't noticed it with my manual transmission.

Do both of you have CVT?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Caliber has a CVT and I've noticed similar issues, but not identical. Based on my own behavior I strongly suspect that these issues are caused by differing expectations of the driver. the key to remember is that the Caliber has two 'different' things in its drivetrain: the CVT, and a drive-by-wire system. The combination of the two makes for a different driving experience than a conventional transmission and/or cabled throttle assembly.

For example, one of the first things I noticed is that when I pull away from a dead stop, the car seems to "leap" forward as if I just dumped the clutch in first gear. In a car with a conventional transmission it pulls away much more smoothly for the same amount of pressure on the gas pedal.

Another thing I noticed is, when you're slowing down (as if to stop for a traffic light) and then release the brake and go back on the gas (as if the light just turned green and you hadn't stopped yet), you'll get a similar "leap" as the transaxle catches up with the engine.

I have never experienced this in any other car before so I assumed that the issue was specific to the Caliber's architecture. By changing my driving habits just a little, I was able to smooth out the Caliber's "driving flaws". Pretty much the only thing I needed to do was ease up on how quickly I put the accelerator down (which probably says a lot about how I drive). :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
yup, noticed it too, it's like a gap/lag in the drivetrain when you go from slowing down to accelerating, like it's catching up.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
kaj27 said:
If you are crusing along and start to brake, but go back onto the throttle then brake again; you notice that the caliberr seems to contiune accelerating for a split second?
When I took my first test drive back in March the salesman warned me about this. Now after 18,000 Kms. I hardly notice it, but it's still there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts