Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is leaving for work about 2 weeks ago and comes in to tell me her car is running very rough. I go check it, the engine light is on and it seems like it has a bad miss (dead cylinder). A few seconds later it dies and won't start at all.
We had it towed to the dealer and they tell us the PCM has taken a crap along with the coil. They fix it and give it back to us.
A day later the engine light comes back on, we take it to the dealer and they say the o2 sensor is bad from running so rich. They fix it and we're on our way again.
The next day the engine light comes on again. We take it to them and they said they were afraid of this happening. The secondary o2 sensor had gone out (Dodge will not let them replace both at the same time if the code goes away). They tell us it's ready and my wife goes to get it. She gets 2 blocks from the dealer and the light comes back on. She calls me at work and tells me and I just can't believe this. I've about had it with this car, it's already left her stranded once before. I'm really thinking we got a lemon.

The dealership has been great about things other than not fixing it the first time but they're as confused as I am. They have given us a brand new Ford Edge (which is very nice) to drive each time they had the car and free oil change and tire rotation coupons.

Is this common with these cars at all?

Sorry for the long rant

·
Registered
687 Posts
Re: Anyone else with this issue?

No it's not common. Reading the threads here of other owners you seem to have had the most problems and in such a short time frame. What is your build date? It's found on the drivers side door, white sticker.

As I type this I currently have a rental while mine visits the shop for the first time. I'll post about my shop result Friday after I get it back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone else with this issue?

IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
No it's not common. Reading the threads here of other owners you seem to have had the most problems and in such a short time frame. What is your build date? It's found on the drivers side door, white sticker.

As I type this I currently have a rental while mine visits the shop for the first time. I'll post about my shop result Friday after I get it back.
I'll have to get back to you on that...it's at the dealer:mad:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
LOL that would be nice if you could get a it replaced with an edge. They start at base model around where a fully loaded caliber R/T ends in price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
WOW thats alot of problems so close together. The dealership had my car for over a month and DCX had to get involved with it. My water pump started making squeeking noises and wasent working. They just couldnt replace the part due to it being a restricted item( should be failing so soon.) We only had the cali for about 4-5 months when we took it in.

NOW im having some weird ticking noise in the engine and I need to go take it back in to get looked at!

LOVE my car, but alot of problems!

Hope you get it fixed and your wife doesnt get stranded anymore!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they are putting another pcm in it today, hopefully this is the last of the engine light.

·
Registered
687 Posts
BatmobileSS - When the engine light was on before the car quit was it flashing or solid? The manual says if it's a serious problem that the engine light will flash and the car should be shutdown ASAP. With all the computer control in this car I question if it might shutdown the engine on it's own when a serious problem is detected by the onboard system check. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was solid when it was acting like it had a dead cylinder. It started flashing about 5 seconds before it shut itself down. I'm picking it up tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GRRRRR Picked it up today and 5 miles later the light is back on. This car is a POS!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine is in for the engine light being on too, but they found the reason is a bad intake manifold. Looking on the board, mine is not the only one and a 2.4 JEEP Compass has been posted with the same problem. I'd seriously question if this might not be your problem. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is in for the engine light being on too, but they found the reason is a bad intake manifold. Looking on the board, mine is not the only one and a 2.4 JEEP Compass has been posted with the same problem. I'd seriously question if this might not be your problem. :confused:
The only question I'm going to be asking is what car my wife wants next.
I'm looking into the lemon law monday morning. Missouri law is 4 times for the same issue. This will be the 5th in a 2 week period.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Did you ever look on the door for your build date? I question if it's anywhere close to mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you ever look on the door for your build date? I question if it's anywhere close to mine.
You just reminded me, it was built 6-06

·
Registered
687 Posts
:eek: IF these are the same problem it seems it MAY BE wide spread, because my build date is 11-2006. Only time will soon tell. Sorry to hear about all your problems. I'd say your dealership really has no idea what they are doing. I'll keep watching your thread, I'm interested how this all plays out.

Thanks again for your help. Your feedback has been GREAT!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:eek: IF these are the same problem it seems it MAY BE wide spread, because my build date is 11-2006. Only time will soon tell. Sorry to hear about all your problems. I'd say your dealership really has no idea what they are doing. I'll keep watching your thread, I'm interested how this all plays out.

Thanks again for your help. Your feedback has been GREAT!
The last couple times the car has been in the dealer they have been calling dealer support and following their repair procedures to fix it. I really have no problem with my dealers service department.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Has anyone at the dealership ruled out the intake manifold? My dealer said there we 14 on backorder and they were crossing their fingers that they would have a replacement part for me Monday. Why 14 on backorder? :eek:

Did you problems all start with this cold snap like mine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It did start with the cold. Why would the intake manifold be throwing o2 sensor codes. That's what doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm not sure, maybe either your dealer or mine is blowing smoke to cover up the lack of an answer. It just seems odd that the cold snap seems to have caused the problem with not only mine but your too.

Maybe your problem and mine are not the same, but obviously your dealer either didn't fix the problem (other than reset the computer codes and maybe replace things they thought were bad) or your car has lots of different problems that happened at once. Are you sure they really replaced the sensors? Did you ask for the old parts or see them? I'm sorry this just really has me thinking in every angle. Tonight will be the first time I return to work after being told I need a new intake manifold. You can bet I'm going to talk to guys in the repair hole about this problem. If it's really caused from the cold, I doubt that it's a problem they have seen before. I'll post what I find out, if anything. Keep an eye on my thread too for any updates I find.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here's something interesting for you. I posted all the problem i'm having on my local f-body board and a guy there is a mechanic for toyota here is what he told me.

Don't know if it helps but we were having the same problem with the Corollas at my work. Right down to the exact same things you described(even what we replaced). The light just kept coming back on. It ended up being an intake gasket. We had 4 cars all doing the same thing. It took us 3 weeks to get it figured out. Toyota was the one who called and told us to fix the gaskets, they said something about the extremely cold weather affecting it.
Sadly I'm done with the this car. We are contacting our attorney tomorrow to start moving forward with a buyback.
Also what plant do you work for? My wifes cousin is head of security in detroit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts