Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone who has had thier oil changed. Did the dealer use 5W-20 for the oil change? Just had mine done last friday, and according to my receipt, they used 10W-30. We get free oil changes for the first year, so it's not like I paid for it, but just wondering if it had any effect on my gas mileage on my trip from San Diego to Fallon, NV where I got a best of 28mpg. Previous best in my Caliober was over 30mpg. Just find it funny that the dealer would put in 10W-30 when the owners manual calls for 5W-20.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, they used 5w-30 in mine a few weeks ago. But the good news is this is the same oil i got my 31.2 mpg at, so i guess its all good.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My first oil change used Castrol Syntec 5W-20. This is the thinnest oil specified for any vehicle I've owned. I try to follow factory specs but wanted the synthetic to minimize worries about viscosity breakdown in thin mineral oil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
KimBo k. said:
5w20 is thick, so you need more power.
No....5W20 is actually thin comparitivly to 10W30, moreso at initial startup.

Before the engine starts up the oil's viscosity is 5 weight and as the oil warms up to operating temperature it thickens to 20 weight. It does this by the heat of the engine changing the micro-polymers in the oil by basically making them swell.

This ensures that the oil will do the following properly:

- act as a shock absourber between parts

- lubricate parts

- provide a viscouse layer for rotating parts to turn freely, thereby reducing friction.

- clean parts

- provides a medium for heat to be disipated.

10W30 is actually twice as thick at startup than 5W20, therefore it absorbs some energy from the engine comparitivly.

In hotter climates it makes sense to put in a thicker oil in the engine. This ensures that the oil doesn't have viscosity breakdown due to higher heat found in such climates.

In cooler climates (such as here in Canuckistan in winter) we normaly run a thinner oil.....some even go as far as putting in 0W15 for the really cold months, but that's way up above the tree line.

I normally ran 5W50 Castrol sythetic in my Peon and had no problems at any time of the year. The engine ran great and looked brand new after 12 years of being on the road. Even in the winter it started no problem due to the lower viscosity oil at start up.

My dealer has done 2 oil changes on the Caliber and has used 5W20 each time.

I'm thinking that Dodge may have given your dealers a directive to up the viscosity because of the warmer weather where you live. ;)

My $0.02 worth.

Regards

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recce by Death said:
I'm thinking that Dodge may have given your dealers a directive to up the viscosity because of the warmer weather where you live. ;)

My $0.02 worth.

Regards
It doesn't get real warm very often where I live in San Diego. pretty much moderate climate year round. Not too cold in winter, and upper 80's to low 90s in the summer right on the coast where I live to 100's inland every now and then. I'm going to go to the dealer when I get back hom and ask them. My wife took it in for the oil change, and we left early the next morning, so didn't have time to do it before I left.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine was just changed also, and it was 5w 30, quakerstate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
got my free oil change done today... 5 quarts of 5W20

·
Registered
108 Posts
My receipt read Mobil 1 10w40. I had asked for 5W20!!!! The dealer explained that their computer does not show 5W20 yet. So they just list it as 10w40. But they ensured me that they used 5W20 and showed me the empty bottles.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jguerra3235 said:
My receipt read Mobil 1 10w40. I had asked for 5W20!!!! The dealer explained that their computer does not show 5W20 yet. So they just list it as 10w40. But they ensured me that they used 5W20 and showed me the empty bottles.
Hope that is the same situation with mine. I am definitly going to stop in and ask them when I get back to San Diego. Got 30.3mpg my last tank, so if it was 10W-30, must not be hurting too bad. Also going to ask about the cabin air filter and how much they are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
chillywilly263 said:
5W20 is required for the variable valve timing to work correctly...
Not true its the oil pressure which regulates the Variable Valve timing. if there isn't enough oil the vvt won't work...........................

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mopar said:
Cabin air filter list price is $15.70, part# is 5058381aa.
Cool, going to have to pick one up for my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dealer gave me a sheet allowing me 5 years of free oil changes. I am told that is good at any delaership as long as i show the paperwork which allows for recording each oil change.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
flame614 said:
Not true its the oil pressure which regulates the Variable Valve timing. if there isn't enough oil the vvt won't work...........................
Well, according to my dad, who is a Chrysler tech and just went to school on the Caliber a little over a month ago, 5w20 is required for the vvt to work, and since that is what it says it takes, thats what you should go by.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is this true?

You certainly can use a 5W-20 if you choose to, however you do not need to use a 5W-20 oil. You do not have to use 5W-20 to maintain your warranty, even though some dealership personnel may lead you to believe that you have to use a 5W-20. Your warranty is still valid and has to be honored whether you choose to use a 5W-20 or another viscosity of oil, such as a 5W-30 for example. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of oil you want to use.
One of the main reasons 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. The change to a 5W-20 oil will allow and an auto companies overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.​
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts