Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how i can avoid putting my license plate on the front bumper? i remember when i lived in missouri...all i did was put it behind the front windshield...

i dont wanna put the license plate because it really doesnt look right on the caliber with it there...

most cars these days really don't have the license plate (in the front) when being designed...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a U.S. Marines plate on the front of my car. Juast keep the front plate in the trunk, just in case. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but....i dont wanna drill any holes in the front of the car...i just want a clean look in the front...does putting your license plate in the windshield still work in texas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine came with the license plate holder on the front.. I didn't have to do anything? Or do you just not want the license there at all?

I see people driving around all the time in beat up trucks with the license behind the windsheild, but I don't know how legal it is...

·
Registered
21 Posts
easterbun said:
Mine came with the license plate holder on the front.. I didn't have to do anything? Or do you just not want the license there at all?

I see people driving around all the time in beat up trucks with the license behind the windsheild, but I don't know how legal it is...
it isnt for most people. Only dealers can do that becuase they switch cars so often. I know in California we do not have to have a plate in the front,I would check with the local police or DMV.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You'll usually only get busted for a front plate infraction if you're pulled over for something else. More often than not, a cop will simply tell you to get the plate installed. I've never had an instance where a cop would pull someone over only for a front plate violation.

Hell, I'm driving without any plates right now. My dealer tag got ripped off in the recent storm. Four days and not one thing has been said. ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Silverfox said:
You'll usually only get busted for a front plate infraction if you're pulled over for something else. More often than not, a cop will simply tell you to get the plate installed. I've never had an instance where a cop would pull someone over only for a front plate violation.

Hell, I'm driving without any plates right now. My dealer tag got ripped off in the recent storm. Four days and not one thing has been said. ;)
This actually happened to me after someone backed into me at a red light. Yes, backed into me at a red light. Damaged the bumper pretty bad but absolutly destroyed the front licence plate bracket. I called my insurance company and they said not to touch it.

I wedged the now mangled plate inbetween the windshield and dash. Without fail the next day a police officer pulled me over, gave me a warning and told me to get it fixed that day. ($250 fine next time)

If your state requires a front plate, putting it on the inside is not a suitable location. Check with the DMV but I believe it must be on the front bumper. Not to mention you run the risk of ejecting your plate from the window during sharp/prolonged turns. Those aren’t cheap to replace either.

Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Silverfox said:
I've never had an instance where a cop would pull someone over only for a front plate violation.
I have! :eek: *Right* next to where I was living at the time too.. I was so peeved! They let me go with just a warning though, when I was able to show I'd just gone to Lowe's to get some screws to fix it... but I didn't have the tools I needed with me to get it done.

And this is rambling, but I rear-ended someone in my explorer back in October, there was no real damage that I could see to my car, but a few weeks after the accident my front license plate bracket fell off... luckily it was right in front of my house! I heard it scraping as I pulled in to check the mail, and it stopped as I slowed down... later I realized that must have been my license plate and there it was laying in the middle of the road.. d'oh!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
You're not alone RiCEADDiCTBOY! In N.Y. you have to have the plate in the front, when I get one I will not have it installed to see what happens. I'll keep it on me, but everyone is right, looks better without it.

Darn laws anyway......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Silverfox said:

I Live here in Texas, I got pulled over in my last car for driving without a front licsence plate,He said that was the reason he pulled me over,It was a cadillac and I just never wanted a plate in the front either,It don't even have anykind of mounting thing there for it,anyhow he was driving toward me I was driving the other direction and as soon as I passed him he turned his lights on made a u turn and came after me ,I didn't get a ticket only cause the police man knew my husband from school,so he said we could go but yea its illegal!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
daffysales said:
I know in California we do not have to have a plate in the front,I would check with the local police or DMV.
What are you smokin? California requires a front plate, but many do not run them. As mentioned before, 99% of the time you won't get pulled over just for no front plate.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Front plate is required in Texas, reason for front plates now is for the refective properties of them, for "lidar" purposes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Houston, they will pull you over and ticket you. The city needs the cash. Three co-workers have been ticketed in the past month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here in Austin I've been driving around for three years with no front plates on my Mustangs, in fact I've noticed many other cars without front plates around here. I've passed by several police cars on a number of occasions and they seemed like they could care less...although I'm certainly not going to bet the bank on not eventually getting stopped...I do have front plates on my Dakota and will more than likely put them on the new Caliber, I'm sure it's already got a front plate holder on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dispatch for a police department outside of Houston. Many officers will use any little infraction as probable cause to pull someone over. Not having a working light for the back LP is a big one at night along with not having a front LP & having one of those frames around the LP that covers any part of the wording &/or art work on the plate. Since I am not a police officer, I do not know what the law actually says about the display of the license plate on the front of the vehicle, but I believe it has to be visible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a requirement to have a front plate in TX, but most cops have better things to do than hassle you about it. I drove my F-150 for almost a year without one and never got stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in K-Town Tx, and have yet to have any problems with my license plate in my windshield in my Ram. I can talk to some of the PD’s that I know and see what they state is regulation on the plate. In most cases it is probably one of the things a officer can do to make a quota amount of tickets a day. I have seen and heard of officers doing this. But if they were to be busted by there superiors it could lead to trouble for them. So most likely it’s a case by case, city/county by city/county rules. The best thing to do is to contact the DMV in your area and ask them what the regulations are for that area. You can also use this page to contact them; it has some other useful information about plates: w.dmv.org/tx-texas/license-plates.php

·
Registered
497 Posts
I live in Dallas and drive 2k miles a month. Had my SRT for 6 months with no front plate. I even got a speeding ticket in Collin County and they did not write me for the plate.

My attitude is this. It is a stupid law. I am not going to follow it. I will pay the price for my choice if need be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts