Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but didn't find any hits. Has anyone installed a trailer wiring harness on their own? I'd like to know where it connects into. Also, what is so special about the $111 harness from Dodge?

Our owners manual (page 230) shows harness pinouts for the 4-pin flat & 7-pin round connectors....but doesn't mentione anything about existing vehicle wiring or where you're supposed to connect to. I didn't see anything under the back of the car.

J

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't think the caliber is pre-wired for a hitch, if it was, you'd have a socket with a cap somewhere under the rear of the car, usually tucked close to one of the rear fenders.
2 options still exist,
1) use a generic harness which you have to strip and tap the lines to the rear brakes, not hard to do once you identfy the lines.
2) (if it exists) most manufacturers come out with a module/socket that bridges the wiring that comes from the car and then to the lights. Its more of a plug and play system and the connections are that much better than option 1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I wouldn't try to haul anything too heavy, maybe a small trailer with a riding mower on it, but I don't really think the Caliber is set up to haul, being a 4 cylinder and all.

We sold both of our SUV's recently to get better gas mileage, and sometimes, I really need the hauling capabilities I had. My Hyundai Sonata is a 6 cyl, so it may actually be a better option for hauling, but I was gonna see if anyone had hooked up a trailer hitch to a Caliber and tried it out first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
*bump*

I'm really wanting to keep this at the top of the Active threads list :)

my band is needing to haul equipment and members and the caliber fits everyone nice and snugly but has nowhere near enough room for anything else except for a few cymbols and my guitar head. a small trailer would be perrrrrfect so i'd like to know more about this

someone has to have done this already... anyone?? even with a tiny U-HAUL?

·
Registered
199 Posts
You are in luck my friend. I got the factory accessory wiring harness from DCX and to tell you the truth, you get $200.00 (CAN) worth of material. It is a complete wiring harness and is easy to install if you follow the included directions. The wiring harness includes an integrated wiring system controlled direct from the engine compartment mounted computer. Yes it is wired into the front of the vehicle. Just unplug the indicated plug and insert the new one in-line. The harness follows the wiring / cable mounts under the drivers side of the frame to the rear, into the hitch area and the spare tire well. Some of the wiring is also hidden in the foam packing that deadens the rear bumper area at the back of the spare tire well. The dealer that ordered it for me never saw such a wiring harness in his life and was impressed to say the least. It took me about one hour to complete the install. It works perfectly. I first thought it would splice into the rear lights like most other harness I have installed in the past but this one is quite different.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ps I also hauled 1500 lb trailer with no problems (struggles up hill but quicker going down :) 1.8l 5 sp could be the culprit there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes i have the factory set and it runs from under the rear spare area to the engine compartment. The instructions are very good and you will have to drill a hole about 1 inch for a grommet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great! Thanks for the info....at least now I know why it costs ~$110 US & is more than just a short set of wires in the rear.

J

·
Registered
377 Posts
I towed a Uhaul trailer with my Hyundai Accent across Ontario with a couch and loveseat in it. I'm sure the Cali can handle that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought the harness for my Durango and was impressed with it. The problem with a simple rear tail light splice is that it then adds lights onto the same circuit. My Durangos harness had its own connection and relay to seperate the power draw. I assume the Calibers harness is similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts