Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the middle of the night and I needed to fill the tank, but the local gas station was out of regular gas so I filled up with premium.

I had forgotten that I had premium in the tank, but I noticed that the engine was behaving a bit differently. I thought it was because I was wearing new boots and was hitting the pedals differently, but the next day, I noticed it again, but this time, I was wearing my old boots. Then I remembered that I had put premium gas in the tank.

Anyone else notice this?

It wasn't a bad thing, it just felt like I was driving a different car.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Why spend the extra money?? If you don't need the higher octane, there are no performance benifits from it. If anything, your gas mileage will probably be lower. I've ran 89 just to see if there was a difference, but I didn't notice. Will probably take my car in and try to get the new "flash" that just came out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any more info on the new flash by chance? I am thinking about going to the dealer for it... but only if it's really worth it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Scheduled to take min in Saturday to have it done. Will report back after since i will be making a long trip on Sunday.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had it done yesterday. The best way to describe it, is like the anchor isn't as heavy. It's only for light to moderate aceleration from a stop. There won't be any difference on hard acceleration because the CVT still need to limit engine torque to prevent belt slippage.

As far as premium gas goes, don't make it a steady diet. The car isn't made for it, and it burns too slow resulting in unburned fuel that mucks up sensors and the catylitic converter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ooo, a new flash update? i'm definitely gonna do it. Its free, and it couldn't hurt. i'll do this asap and post my results

·
Registered
687 Posts
HSKR - Looking forward to seeing your mileage after the flash.

As for premium gas, I only use Shell 87% and get 30mpg hwy.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Walk down to the shady part of town and look for a guy wearing a long trench coat and a cheese eating grin on his face.

·
Registered
153 Posts
And if that don't work, go to your dealer and tell him you don't like the poor acceleration you're getting, and you heard there is a TSB to fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts