Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<-- Don't have the car yet, so I don't have the manual.

I was wondering about using synthetic oil. Not for the longer period between oil changes, but for the non-sludge and no-carbon-deposits nature of synthetic oil to keep the engine clean and running longer.

Opinions?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I always use Mobil 1 Synthetic Oils in all of my vehicles. It does make it so you can go longer on the oil and also protects the engine more. Also if you live in a wintery climate, it will help your engine in the winter by having thinner oil. Just make sure you still stick with what is recommended to put in your vehicle whether its 10w30, 5w30, etc...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm about to put Mobil1 in my Caliber as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi !

GOT said:
I'm about to put Mobil1 in my Caliber as well.
I always used Mobil1 5w50 in all my cars. Also in 2002 when I changed genuine oil in my wife's car ( a Renault twingo : a fantastic .... shit as all renault ) the MPG is down to more than 10% . ( now : more than 45 MPG ).

But for the Caliber ( witch one should arrive in september ) I don't know what to do because I don't want change oil by myself until the waranty is done. But we have a 5 years waranty !.

Maybe I will change it anyway ... :confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Devy: Changing the oil yourself should not void the warranty as long as you document when you did it. I would also keep the receipts from when you purchase the new oil and filters.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my caliber, and have since its first oil change. It's expensive and the 5W-20 is kind of hard to find, but I think it is worth the trouble and expense. I plan on driving this car until the drive shafts rust through, so I want to protect the engine as best I can.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I buy the Mobil1 on my own at O'reilly's and then take it to the dealer and make sure they use it. the first time they changed the oil they forgot to use it, so I made them go back and drain out their oil and put the Mobil1 in, then remove the charges from my invoice for their oil.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I use Mobile 1 as well but do not extend the change interval. The warranty dictates the change interval without regard to whether synthetic is used. While synthetic doesn't break down with age and heat as easily it still builds up the same amound of dirt etc. No substitute for having clean oil and the filter needs changing anyways. Cheap insurance for fewer problems later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dealer gives me free oil changes with the car, but I'm still debating on whether or not to use it!! I've always enjoyed doing my own oil, and I've always felt good knowing that I put the "good stuff" in there! I swear by Castrol stuff; never let me down! Does anyone know a good mileage point to start putting the synthetic in? I've heard that it's a good idea to wait a little bit to let the motor parts run it a bit before you put the synthetic in there. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The Great Mongo said:
My dealer gives me free oil changes with the car...
Yeah the salesguy I worked with told me he'd do the same thing. So when I ask him about it he keeps saying he’s going to send some sort of coupons in the mail (it's been over 3 months and still no coupons) whatever! I'm not interested in talking with him anymore and besides I'm going to change the oil myself anyways:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
GOT said:
Yeah the salesguy I worked with told me he'd do the same thing. So when I ask him about it he keeps saying he’s going to send some sort of coupons in the mail (it's been over 3 months and still no coupons) whatever! I'm not interested in talking with him anymore and besides I'm going to change the oil myself anyways:D
Coupons.......I got $50 coupons for sending away for DCX literature on various models, I now have 4 coupons, and it did take a few months. Catch is.... that you have to buy $200 of accessories before the coupon kiks in and you can only use one coupon per $200...........:eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, they never even offered me any coupons!! It was pretty much one of those deals where you take it or leave it. Oh well, I always enjoyed doing my own oil anyway. I figure it gives me a chance to get under there and take a look around once in a while, without waiting for one of those lovely mechanics over at the Dodge dealer tell you something's wrong. My mom had a bad experience with a Toyota dealer once. They detuned her timing and told her she needed a new engine!!!:eek::mad: And of course, this is after the warranty was expired. Now, I'm definately not saying that all dealer shops are the same, but damn, that's a very, very good reason to be watchful about what our babies go through over there....

·
Registered
377 Posts
As part of my extended warranty I got free oil changes for the full 5 years. It's good for me, cause I can drop off the car, they drop me off at work, then get it after work. Nice and simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a free oil change from the dealer when I bought the car which will be conventional oil when I get it done. After that I'm going to full synthetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil.... I was talking to Shannon(the girl who sold me the car) and she said that i could come in and get my oil changed their... I told her that i had always changed my own oil and used synthetic and she said ok dont bring it here then, do it yourself because we dont use synthetic...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Jeffro1069 said:
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil.... I was talking to Shannon(the girl who sold me the car) and she said that i could come in and get my oil changed their... I told her that i had always changed my own oil and used synthetic and she said ok dont bring it here then, do it yourself because we dont use synthetic...
Thats weird that they don't at least offer synthetic oil. I hope they don't service SRT vehicles because I think they require the use of synthetic oil. I know that my dealer will put in Mobil 1 if you ask for it although they're a certified SRT dealership including Viper certified. Of course you have to pay a little extra for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a hard time understanding why some dealers say they don't have synthetic oil.
I work at their parts depot, and I know how much Mopar/ Mobil 1 oil we ship to dealers every day.
Strange.

·
Registered
9 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Thats weird that they don't at least offer synthetic oil.
maybe if you have the srt model but i dont know... i just do it myself so i know whats going in there...
Has anyone found a stupid filter for it!? i dont want to use the mopar one again, FRAM makes that one and FRAM filters are crap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts