Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After washing my Wife's new Caliber yesterday, I finally got tired of those bright orange dealer plates advertising the dealership on our nickel.

Well, I had some black spray paint and some Hemis stickers laying around in the garage, so did a quick mod just for fun!!

My Wife will probably not even know the difference, heck we went to dinner in brand new Intrepid R/T years ago, and she finally figured out on the way home, it was a new one!!

Now the smaller Magnum engines ARE actually also Hemis, anyone know if the 2,0 liter engine has hemispherical features to the engine?? DC seems to like the design, just wondering, I'd love to get a plate for that says 'LIL HEMI
Here are photos of the temporary mod:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to say no. But there is a little room for debate.

All DOHC engines have some strong similarities to the hemi design, but it isn't really hemispherical. DOHC engines have flat surfaces with angles at the top of the combustion chamber. But, they're closer to a hemi than say a wedge.

On the other hand, the current Hemi has a polyspherical design instead of a hemispherical design, so one could argue that the DOHC head design is every bit as close to a true hemi as a polyspherical head, at least as far as the combustion chamber shape.

But since about every DOHC engine shares this trait, it would, IMHO, be silly. To be honest, it would probably generate the same reaction as sticking a "Type-R" sticker on it. But that's just me, and I'm an ass. :)

Anyway, that's my opinion. For more info on hemispherical vs polyspherical, go here:

http://classichemi.com/polywhat.shtml

For a cross section view of a DOHC head, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DOHC-Zylinderkopf-Schnitt.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would assume that the engine are closer to a Pent Roof Cylinder head, than a hemishperical cylinder head. Even the current product "Hemi" are NOT true HEMI's. :( Unless you buy the "off-road only" race HEMIs. Those are the real deal.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Correct. The current HEMI engines are actually pentroof. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
I dont mean to be an ass but you'll probably get car buff's laughing at you if they see the "yeah, it's got a hemi" plate on a car with no hemi.

That's just me though...

It's along the same lines as idiots putting "got boost" on their SRT4's... even though they DO have boost... it's still lame.

But whatever floats your boat :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it's funny. It doesn't bother me. If Dodge wants to misrepresent, that's their problem. I just wish the would produce a real street HEMI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts