Dodge Caliber Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
We're currently using County Companies, and have no complaints. Keep in mind that insurance companies usually give you a "deal" if you bundle their services together - homeowners coverage, renters coverage, auto, life - you get the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
like i said, check out esurance if you guys have good driving records and good credit. my wife and i are both 24, we both have credit scores in the mid 700's, shes never had a ticket. ive had about 5 speeding tickets but not in the past 6 years. given all that i was still expecting it to be double that per year because neither of us has ever carried insurance in our own names. she was joint with her mom and my vehicles were all insured only in my moms name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
CaliberChic said:
...(remember your credit affects your rates).
Good ole Canada. Credit doesn't affect us like it does you guys south of the border.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
I'm suprised that credit doesnt effect rates in Canada since many of the same companies write policies in both countries. The theory is that people with poor credit are not as responsible of a driver. Credit is also needed for better payment terms.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
j85 said:
like i said, check out esurance if you guys have good driving records and good credit. my wife and i are both 24, we both have credit scores in the mid 700's, shes never had a ticket. ive had about 5 speeding tickets but not in the past 6 years. given all that i was still expecting it to be double that per year because neither of us has ever carried insurance in our own names. she was joint with her mom and my vehicles were all insured only in my moms name.
Does Esurance rob your checking account? They told me that they only "auto" debit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
also heres some more proof of their cheap rates. i helped a woman i work with get insurance on a brand new magnum hemi. her credit sucks and her son has totalled 2 on here old insurance policy. she has a good driving record and her payment is 100$ per month. not too bad considering all the negatives she has and also considering she paid 150$ per month for a 97 caddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Does Esurance rob your checking account? They told me that they only "auto" debit.
I used to have Esurance and this is what got me. My bank sent me a new debit card with that PayPass function, and in the enclosed letter, it said that everything would remain the same, and I even verified that the card number was the same. Anyway, a couple weeks later I noticed that my scheduled payment with Esurance never went through, & lo and behold it turns out the 3 security digits on the back of the card had changed, causing my payment to decline. I called in less than 48 hours after the payment was declined, and they told me that they would charge me a whopping $35 fee! This was after being their customer for over 3 years and never missing one payment! After arguing with them, they still refused to waive the fee, so I told them I was just going to cancel my policy and look elsewhere, at which point they informed me there was a $50 cancelation fee!

I ended up canceling, paying that dammed fee (can't afford a blow to my credit), and switching to Allstate who quoted me a rate of $30/mo lower! Basically, IMO, avoid Esurance like the plague.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Huff said:
I'm suprised that credit doesnt effect rates in Canada since many of the same companies write policies in both countries. The theory is that people with poor credit are not as responsible of a driver. Credit is also needed for better payment terms.
BS! Insurance companies are thieves! What better way to jack up your rates by blaming your credit score. What a Croc!
In fact, I would think that someone with bad credit scores would try harder to drive safe since they know they can't afford another car. It has nothing to do with being a responsible driver. Many people are responsible drivers that also have poor credit. Some people have poor credit scores because of bad luck in the job market thru no fault of their own. In fact, people who have great credit scores have been know to be poor drivers. The bottom line: One has NOTHING to do with the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
we have AAA, been members for a long time, customer service is a 5... its a little bit pricey, but like they say... you get what you pay for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
The thing I wouldn't like about esurance, is there's no local place to do your business. I always like to have someone I can talk to face to face and not some person on the phone who is 500 miles away.

I've found that Allstate is pretty damn cheap. I was quoted $510/6 mo for a Dodge Caliber. I'm 23 and have never had any tickets or accidents (knock on wood). I have an Allstate place right downtown so if I have an issue, I can talk to someone right there. I can take my payment down there instead of sending it in. You can get to know the insurance agent face to face, something you can't do with an internet based insurance company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Thanks for replying MM! How's Geico's CUSTOMER SERVICE?
I have only had to deal with them a few times but they have always been great. I also have Roadside and my warranty for my car with them.

My only complaint is that they try to sell me an umbrella policy every time I call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
JohnC said:
BS! Insurance companies are thieves! What better way to jack up your rates by blaming your credit score. What a Croc!
In fact, I would think that someone with bad credit scores would try harder to drive safe since they know they can't afford another car. It has nothing to do with being a responsible driver. Many people are responsible drivers that also have poor credit. Some people have poor credit scores because of bad luck in the job market thru no fault of their own. In fact, people who have great credit scores have been know to be poor drivers. The bottom line: One has NOTHING to do with the other.
Soooo very true! Good post!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
when it comes to insurance first and foremost im looking at the best price. esurance has tbe same type of coverages as anybody else . i could care less about talking face to face with someone . whats the point unless you have a claim? b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
For anyone in the military, USAA has worked the best for me for insurance. i had Gieco, which always advertises about military discounts and stuff, but they raised my premium three times in a row at the end of a 6 month policy. After the third time, I decided to switch. Found USAA after a co-worker told me about it. Got a quote, called Gieco back, and the Gieco re told me to go with USAA because there was no way Gieco could match the quote. Been with them ever since. Quick with claims service. Have had to use them three different times. Each time, they were very prompt with getting me the money to fix my vehicle. One claim my vehicle got totaled after I wrecked it. They let me buy it back for a rediculously low price. Insurance through them now with the new caliber and my '00 Dakota R/T is $140 a month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I use Progressive and have never had a problem with them. In fact, when both my son's cars were totaled (other driver's fault both times), they did the contacting of the other driver's insurance company and got the ball rolling on the claim.

Don't have my Caliber yet but been playing around the website and it shows that full coverage on both the Caliber and my 2002 4x4 Chevy Tracker will be $95 and some change each month ($572 every six months)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
JohnC said:
BS! Insurance companies are thieves! What better way to jack up your rates by blaming your credit score. What a Croc!
In fact, I would think that someone with bad credit scores would try harder to drive safe since they know they can't afford another car. It has nothing to do with being a responsible driver. Many people are responsible drivers that also have poor credit. Some people have poor credit scores because of bad luck in the job market thru no fault of their own. In fact, people who have great credit scores have been know to be poor drivers. The bottom line: One has NOTHING to do with the other.
That's not always true. Most people with bad credit scores are just plain irresponsible. If someone doesn't give a crap about paying their bills on time and maintaining a good credit rating, what makes you think that person cares about not being able to afford another car? I've met a lot of people in my life (not that I'm old or anything), and noticed that most people just don't use their brains at all. It could be that I work in construction and meet a lot of blue-collar workers.

I understand some people have a run of bad luck through no fault of their own, but insurance companies make policies based on general trends, not individuals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
j85 said:
when it comes to insurance first and foremost im looking at the best price. esurance has tbe same type of coverages as anybody else . i could care less about talking face to face with someone . whats the point unless you have a claim? b
My point is, if you get to know your insurance agent, they know what kind of person you are and can get you a better choice. Also when the dreaded day comes of filing a claim, I know that I can go to my agent and he'll take care of it with no crap, no waiting on hold on the phone, etc... You can't do that with esurance. Also, best price isn't always the way to go. Sure you don't want to pay $1,000/6 mo. for insurance, but you also don't want an insurance company that will dick you around when you need to make a claim or take forever to get you some money when you need it most. You'll understand someday....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Sleazy said:
I understand some people have a run of bad luck through no fault of their own, but insurance companies make policies based on general trends, not individuals.
I disagree. Paying your bills has NOTHING to do with your driving record.

The problem I have with Insurance companies is just what you have stated above. Your insurance rates SHOULD be based on YOUR driving record, not everyone elses!
I have a excellent driving record-no accidents, tickets in 20+ years, but my credit is good, not great. And I do pay my bills! Yet my insurance is higher than I think it should be considering my DRIVING RECORD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Do you know for sure that it was your credit rating causing your higher than normal rates?

Do you know for sure that your rates are actually higher than normal?


Insurance companies also look at where you live and other factors. When I moved into the Bronx, my rates went up $100 a year. I was the same person driving the same car, but the rate went up simply due to a change of address. I thought that wasn't fair either, but then realized that it probably was. Before moving here, I witnessed no car accidents around my home, but in my new neighborhood, in one year, I witnessed 3 accidents just outside my window (one was a rollover). I guess the insurance companies took into account everyone else's driving record in my neighborhood. I might not cause any accidents, but the chances of some jackass broadsiding me went up.
 
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Top