Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know from a rental R/T Stratus how the auto stick works with a normal transmission, but how well does it work with the CVT?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I've never driven one with a normal transmission, but I'm willing to bet it's the same. I use mine about 50% of the time, and I like it. It would be nice if there was a more noticable change in RPM between the gears. I shift at about 5500.

Oh, Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
68 Posts
With a normal transmission the change will be more noticable. Since it must physically change gears, that is why you feel it more, with a CVT the change is instant and smooth as it just changes the ratio.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is fun and works good. But with 6 gears, you are shifting alot. Sometimes when traffic is slowing in front of me, I will be in drive and slap it to the left to downshift and it will go into 6th then slap it again to 5th and so on to help slow down. Don't know how it compares to other transmissions though but it does stay in the gear you put it in. I accidently hit it once and it went into 5th gear and I slowed down to about 15 mph then tried to give it gas, and it would not go. Gear was too high. Took me a second to realize I had hit the autostick.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
The great thing about the auto stick is that once you break 4000-4500 rpm in first...every gear picks up around 4k so it's just boost...boost..boost! I am getting really adjusted to using the auto stick to down shift and slow rather than braking. I just know to double tap to the left to drop gears. When you hit the stick while driving...it get engaged in the current gear...so you need the double tap.

·
Registered
256 Posts
High-Calibur Driver said:
The great thing about the auto stick is that once you break 4000-4500 rpm in first...every gear picks up around 4k so it's just boost...boost..boost! I am getting really adjusted to using the auto stick to down shift and slow rather than braking. I just know to double tap to the left to drop gears. When you hit the stick while driving...it get engaged in the current gear...so you need the double tap.
That's a much better description... boost, boost, boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts