Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of converting my SXT Sport to Autogas / LPG the cost of fuel in the the UK is a rip off - £1.00 per litre yet LPG 40pence per litre for the same fuel economy and performance.

HAs anyone done it?????
What is it like

·
Registered
683 Posts
In every vehicle I've seen LPG does not give the same performance. Not even close. This isn't a problem for most and the cost savings more than make up for it. The size of the LPG tank to be mounted where it will be safe as well as the lack of fill up locations at least here in the USA are issues. Are LPG stations common in some parts of Europe?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dept has some patrol cars that run on propane. It was the biggest mistake they ever made. They always break down. We get about 80 to 90 miles on a tank of propane. Sometimes we have to fill up twice a shift.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is only one alternative FUEL on the market today that gives you the same performance, same reliability and better gas mileage and it's only available for diesel engines, bio-diesel. LPG and ethanol are a crock.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CoolCallie said:
There is only one alternative FUEL on the market today that gives you the same performance, same reliability and better gas mileage and it's only available for diesel engines, bio-diesel. LPG and ethanol are a crock.
Actually, Ethanol is a very viable option for vehicles. Look at Brazil. They have been doing it for years and are totally energy independant. People get a bad feeling about ethanol because it's different, and it requires different tuning to run in the vehicles. But with the right tuning, it performs just as good as regular petrol. In fact, when I run the 10% ethanol blend in my Dakota, I actually get better performance and gas mileage out of it. And you can't use the differences of the flex fuel cars when running gas or ethanol, because they are tuned for optimum performance on either type due to having to be able to run both.

·
Registered
644 Posts
CoolCallie said:
or E-85 ......

·
Registered
377 Posts
HSKR said:
Actually, Ethanol is a very viable option for vehicles. Look at Brazil. They have been doing it for years and are totally energy independant. People get a bad feeling about ethanol because it's different, and it requires different tuning to run in the vehicles. But with the right tuning, it performs just as good as regular petrol. In fact, when I run the 10% ethanol blend in my Dakota, I actually get better performance and gas mileage out of it. And you can't use the differences of the flex fuel cars when running gas or ethanol, because they are tuned for optimum performance on either type due to having to be able to run both.
Alot of the 10% difference blend you find at gas stations is not 10% ethanol, but rather MTBE.

Completely energy independent eh? To farm ethanol, you need farm equipment and what does farm equipment run on? Last time I checked, gasoline or ethanol-fueled farm equipment was quite far and few between. They run on diesel. Department of Energy has stated the figure that it costs 7 barrels of oil to produce 8 barrels of ethanol, a profit, yes, but you still rely on foreign oil.

Ethanol has 2/3rds the energy content of gasoline, so you need nearly 50% more ethanol than you would over gasoline..

All of these facts put together, we can't produce enough ethanol to keep America fueled by E-85 alone, not to mention we would still have a dependence on foreign oil, though lightened somewhat.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Do your research on Brazil. They are energy independant. They do have oil feilds, and also make bio-deisel. And The 10% ethanol blend I was talking about is ethanol, not the MTBE junk that they can't use anymore. I'm from the midwest, and know the difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Husker is right. I'm from MN and actually converted a contour to run on 100% ethanol in high school shop class. The real problem when you do that is it is a very sweet fuel meaing it's exhaust has very distinct smell kinda sugary if you know what i mean. It was a pain though because after that, the teacher couldn't drive it anywhere outside of a 200 mile radius of the ethanol plant but it was good times though as it got really good gas milage even when we were beating the living hell out of it and it had decent range 400miles to a 12 gal tank, always around 31-32. What kills me is that ford and dodge have had flex fuel vehicles in the past and actually are a main reason that the stations started carrying e85 and now chevy is acting as though it is starting this revolution of vehicles that run on corn. One more thing befreo I go, most fuel in the midwest already has a 10% mixture of ethanol so by you adding another 10% you are actually running about a 19% ethanol mixture and it may compromise the fuel system as ethanol is a corrosive alchohol and can damage fuel lines and your tank.

·
Registered
377 Posts
rcompart said:
It was a pain though because after that, the teacher couldn't drive it anywhere outside of a 200 mile radius of the ethanol plant but it was good times though as it got really good gas milage even when we were beating the living hell out of it and it had decent range 400miles to a 12 gal tank, always around 31-32.
31 or 32 on the highway? City and highway average? If it's just highway then it is hardly impressive at all when you look at these mileage figures for the Contour:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1303519&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

·
Registered
118 Posts
rcompart said:
we were beating the living hell out of it
We never took it on road trips since we could only fill it up at the ethanol plant. I guess I don't know what he got for mileage but I'm sure it was better than what we got.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Decriminalize Hemp for commercial production. Hemp Fuel. Burns clean, easily renewable. Seeds are high in protein too. No pun intended.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
MetroAWD said:
Decriminalize Hemp for commercial production. Hemp Fuel. Burns clean, easily renewable. Seeds are high in protein too. No pun intended.
That would solve to many problem. Politicians will never go for that. Think of all the products that can be made form hemp. Pretty much anything made from wood can be made from hemp, clothing,.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts