Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the Charger forums, it seems some people have had some success using parts from the Magnum to make the headlights in their Chargers automatic.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Magnum parts would also go with the Caliber? I noticed the Caliber doesn't have the headlight control knob in the same place the Charger does (which is great, in the rental I had, I ALWAY knocked the knob off with my knee). My current car has auto headlights, and it's a feature I've grown rather fond of.......since I'm the forgetful type :D

I did some searching around over the past little while, but didn't come across anything about this. Any help/info would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
746 Posts
yeah the lx line comes with optional sunsensor which does exactly what the name states... it senses sunlight and turns on the light in any dark situation. i'm thinking the caliber doesn't have the programming for it in the ECU and i'm betting it doesn't have a wireharness to handle it... although i doubt this will stop an inventive mind... :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah well, I was hoping it could be done. IIRC, people were able to do it by using the u-Connect mirror from the magnum, and a new switch (along with some other wiring work).

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Principal, I didn't look for it at chargerforums, but I spotted this tonight at our other sister-site, 300cforums, and remembered your post: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/australian-forum/16896-free-automatic-headlights.html

I can't answer your question about the Magnum/Caliber parts compatiility, but I can steer you in the right direction... just so happens my buddy MAGNUM8R, a member here, owns both vehicles. I suggest you send him a PM and see what you can find out; tell him I sent you. :)

P.S. don't forget to come back and post your findings!

·
Registered
43 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Principal, I didn't look for it at chargerforums, but I spotted this tonight at our other sister-site, 300cforums, and remembered your post: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/australian-forum/16896-free-automatic-headlights.html

I can't answer your question about the Magnum/Caliber parts compatiility, but I can steer you in the right direction... just so happens my buddy MAGNUM8R, a member here, owns both vehicles. I suggest you send him a PM and see what you can find out; tell him I sent you. :)

Wouldn't work, since the Caliber's headlight switch in on a stalk that comes out of the steering column...

·
Registered
245 Posts
As a suggestion you could always inquire with your dealership parts department about a daytime running lights module. That way your lights are on all the time, ala Canada.

If you’re looking for an auto on/off feature, then it gets a bit more complicated.

Dan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DodgeInfoCenter said:
If you’re looking for an auto on/off feature, then it gets a bit more complicated.
That's what I was hoping for. I live in Canada, so I should be getting the Daytime Lights. as long as the car "dings" or "beeps" it shouldn't be too much trouble to remember to turn the lights off at night. I hoped it would be an easy mod.

VZGuy said:
Wouldn't work, since the Caliber's headlight switch in on a stalk that comes out of the steering column...
Looks like I'll have to find another useless feature to add to the car :D

HEMEEE said:
thanks for the post, I'm always bouncing around here....At least until i get my Caliber, then I hope to be out driving :)

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
VZGuy said:
Ah, I see... thanks for settin' me straight ;)

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
After I got my caliber i was flipping through the manual and i thouhgt i saw something about automatic headlights...the manual is in the car in the garage right now an i dont feel like going out there...will check tomorrow

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have read several posts about headlight operation and have come to a
conclusion that some features are changeable if you have the drivers
convenience group or have the dealer do it with Starscan.
My headlights come on when I remotely unlock the doors(great if
your looking for your car at nite) and another feature is the battery
saver,if you leave lights on by accident after 15-20 minutes they
shutoff by themselves.
I have not seen kit for Caliber auto on/off of driving lights.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Headlight switch location isn't a defining factor in auto headlight function - programming and sensors are...

No matter where the switch is, it only connects circuits together - programming of functions on the CAN Bus do the same thing (that is why the headlights can come on with remote unlock even though the switch is in the OFF position).

I miss my Auto Headlights in my Yukon XL as well so I plan on looking into this one...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts