Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the autostick feature on the R/T. Is this feature available to increase control of the engine RPMs? I don't mean to sound smart assy about this but isn't the CVT supposed to control the RPMs based on where the throttle is positioned? i.e. If you want more power (passing... or perhaps 1/4 mile :D ) you push the throttle to the floor and the CVT automatically adjusts to give you the best ratio for best acceleration.

I can see how the autostick feature can give the perception of accelerating faster because of the "shifting" sensation, but does it really make the car acclerate faster or give any other benefits besides being more fun?

I am pretty curious about how this works. I used this feature on a pacifica once but that was with a conventional auto tranny so it was basically manually controlling the gears without depressing a clutch, but with a CVT with no set gear ratios I guess i just don't understand how it works.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well... No facts to give you by 1/4 mile times (YET) but I think by manually shifting it goes faster. Seat of the pants observation only!!

I have done it both ways and I like the Autostick better, because I am used to feeling gears, (so is everybody else) but DCX says that letting the computer work for you is actually better. The autostick operation WILL detract gas mileage, even if slight. I have proven that by recpts.

Restating myself from another thread. " I own musclecars and have manual valve bodies in every one of them, so I like the autostick a LOT"

When you shift "gears" it controls the position of the belt within the pulleys, the pulleys get either closer or farther away and stay there until you "shift" gears, thats how you "feel" a different gear. Completely defeats the CVT operation.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The autostick is somewhat faster off of the line due to the CVT's torque converter (I think) that makes acceleration up to 20 mph a bitch. After that, the CVT2 itself takes over. Autostick somewhat controls this and therefor, is quicker off of the line. :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Somewhere on here also mentions that if the autostick is engaged it will "shift" automatically if the RPM reaches an endangered level, I don't know the "auto" shift points, maybe someone that has one can jump in again and let us know.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That point happens to be called "redline"

:D:D:eek:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quoted from Edmunds.com

Caliber First Drive, 17th paragraph:
" For most daily driving situations, the Caliber performs well. It rides comfortably without being too soft, and has a tight turning radius. Thanks to its relatively large and sticky tires, the Caliber R/T delivers decent grip on curvy roads, and it also comes with a sequential-shift mode (AutoStick) that creates artificial gear ratios for the CVT. Using AutoStick allows the driver to better keep the engine high in the rev range, though "upshifts" occur automatically when redline is reached."

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=109193/pageNumber=1

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
caliber4whoosh said:
Quoted from Edmunds.com

Caliber First Drive, 17th paragraph:
" For most daily driving situations, the Caliber performs well. It rides comfortably without being too soft, and has a tight turning radius. Thanks to its relatively large and sticky tires, the Caliber R/T delivers decent grip on curvy roads, and it also comes with a sequential-shift mode (AutoStick) that creates artificial gear ratios for the CVT. Using AutoStick allows the driver to better keep the engine high in the rev range, though "upshifts" occur automatically when redline is reached."

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=109193/pageNumber=1
Cool, thanks Sinan! Redline it is!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No prob dude! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Based on using my Autostick Edmunds is exactly right. I've tested it lots and lots. :D

The "shift" will come automatically when the car hits redline, but not until. The real difference the Autostick makes in my opinion is when you would normally be downshifting for more power, like when you want to pass an idiot doing 50 when the speed limit is 70. Sure you can stomp the gas pedal and wait for the system to realize that you want to go faster, but "downshifting" with the Autostick immediately gives you more power without having the depress the throttle further (although doing both at the same time is a worthwhile experience. :D ) The "shifts" come really quick, so you can go down two or three "gears" if necessary by tapping the stick towards you two or three times quickly. I think the autostick makes the car a lot more fun if you don't care about gas mileage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like you've used the autostick a lot clockmaker.

If you engage it when you're already at highway speed does it just put it to the closest "Gear" to where the CVT currently is? The few times I've used the autostick it was from a standstill, but I can see times where I would want to "engage" it for better acceleration or control after I was already in motion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
draed said:
Sounds like you've used the autostick a lot clockmaker.

If you engage it when you're already at highway speed does it just put it to the closest "Gear" to where the CVT currently is? The few times I've used the autostick it was from a standstill, but I can see times where I would want to "engage" it for better acceleration or control after I was already in motion.
Yes, the computer decides which "gear" you would be in under your present driving conditions and "shifts" to the next lower gear.

Example: I was in normal Drive and got behind an RV pulling a trailer on a 2 lane state highway. I had my cruise set at 60 mph and was turning about 2300 rpms if I remember correctly. He wasn't going 60, so when I got a clear chance to pass I pulled the stick towards me. My transmission indicator switched from drive to 6 to 5 in less than half a second with one tap of the stick, and my rpms started climing. I switched down to 4 to get out even faster, the Caliber took off and I was past the guy. I went back to 5 then 6 and then held the stick away from me again for a second to put it back in Drive and resumed cruising.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cool thanks clockmaker, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I played with it a little at lunch today, but haven't tried that scenario yet.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
clockmaker said:
Yes, the computer decides which "gear" you would be in under your present driving conditions and "shifts" to the next lower gear.

Example: I was in normal Drive and got behind an RV pulling a trailer on a 2 lane state highway. I had my cruise set at 60 mph and was turning about 2300 rpms if I remember correctly. He wasn't going 60, so when I got a clear chance to pass I pulled the stick towards me. My transmission indicator switched from drive to 6 to 5 in less than half a second with one tap of the stick, and my rpms started climing. I switched down to 4 to get out even faster, the Caliber took off and I was past the guy. I went back to 5 then 6 and then held the stick away from me again for a second to put it back in Drive and resumed cruising.
This system sounds soooo cool to use, thats what I want!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
REDLINE it is !!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hate that I've come in on this topic so late. The first day I got my R/T, I played with the autostick and found that it was THE most unforeseen joy. Clockmaker describes the scenario just as it happens. You want that power to pass "now" and two taps later you're bellowing power as you flip by the looker. ...and trust me, that person you just passed IS looking at the Caliber that just slipped by.

AUTOSTICK is cool!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts