Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's a fake manual gear box on the CVT. It's basically just a semi-manual option for R/T owners. You move the stick left to "down shift" and right to "upshift". All it does is forces the CVT into a fixed ratio for each of the 6 "gears".

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do you watch racing? Watch a road course race and you will see some (not all) race cars that have transmissions where all they do is pull back for up shifting and push it forward for downshifting. Except on the Caliber's Autostick, you pull it left to down shift and push to the right to upshift.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Not really the same.

Race cars utilize a direct sequential gearbox that uses a pair of clutches that are operated by onboard systems and actually depress the clutch, blip the revs and shift gears faster than a human can. This is also available in some higher end sports cars. The cheaper version in most other cars is just a manual over-ride of an automatic slushbox and is not really comparable. The auto-stick is just a bastardized version developed for the CVT and is also not comparable to the high end version seen in race cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its like shifting in a video game...you press the button when you want it to shift and it shifts: no depressing the clutch or letting off of the gas?

·
Registered
311 Posts
zildjian_drummer3 said:
What is Autostick? ...
The R/T AWD version of the Caliber comes with an autostick function. In that respect, the CVT2 can simulate a manual transmission by separating the transmission cones into six discrete steps...or six-gear manual transmission.

In spite of it being referred to as fake and cheap, I find it to be a very appealing part of the Caliber. From the line, I get a better feel of the get-up-and-go associated with regular automatic transmissions compared to the mushy 0-20 mph associated with the CVT2. Don't get me wrong, the CVT2 does have its advantages with respect to saving on fuel economy with the Caliber. I've needed to self-monitor my exploits of the autostick in order to conserve on gas. Two years ago, I would not have...but then again, two years ago the Caliber wasn't out there.

The autostick allows the driver to get the engine closer to the red-line than the CVT2 will ever allow. For those that are concerned with the 0-60 time sprint, near red-lining is a critical factor. I've pushed my rev to about 4500 RPM a couple times, but I'm careful not to push beyond that...for now.

When in the throws of traffic on my little stretch of four-lane parkway, I find it invigorating to jump from CVT2 mode into autostick, down-shifting for that quick reaction acceleration and up-shifting for the pronounced speed.

Autostick is only available with Caliber's R/T model. There is no clutch and you don't have to let up off the gas. Actually, it's preferred NOT to let up off the accelerator.

...my two cents on topic...

Tyke

·
Registered
911 Posts
ewitz said:
Not really the same.

Race cars utilize a direct sequential gearbox that uses a pair of clutches that are operated by onboard systems and actually depress the clutch, blip the revs and shift gears faster than a human can. This is also available in some higher end sports cars. The cheaper version in most other cars is just a manual over-ride of an automatic slushbox and is not really comparable. The auto-stick is just a bastardized version developed for the CVT and is also not comparable to the high end version seen in race cars.
I know its not exactly the same...was just trying to give him a better idea of what it was.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Autosticks have always been a savior from poor factory shift points. In fact in my old vehicle it was used to relieve a harsh 1-2 and 2-1 shifts. Plus they come in very handy during autocross when you wanted to stay in a certain gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now as far as I know, it is a program in the computer and a different shifter and that is it. I'd like to see someone install it in an sxt. I'm too chicken right now but if it works, i'd be the second to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts