Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the June 12th addition and I cannot provide you with an exact line for line review from Autoweek, but I assure you it went something like this.

-More I drive it, the less I liked it
-Certainly better than Neon
-Dreadful to drive on rough surfaces
-Hard plastics drove the reviewer nuts
-Would take it over a Yaris
-Lots of room
-Good value

That's pretty much it. It's not that much different than other things I've heard.

·
Registered
285 Posts
And yet we have plenty of people on this forum who love their Calibers. I'll trush the people I chat with everyday, not the people who like to pick apart cars unless the car is offered by their parent company.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Of course, if this was a Honda Caliber, or Toyota Caliber it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't believe everything you see/read in Magazines and on TV shows. If it was that bad of a car, Dodge wouldn't be 48,000+ orders behind. That there alone IMO kinda makes the magazines and TV shows sounds like dumbasses. "Its a shitty car, thats why everyone is buying it!"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Meh, no poing in always reading glowing reviews either... can't get usable input if it's always positive. Just like Mazda's new CX7 gets good reviews from some writers, but then some writers realize it's a family car and let it be known that the car falls short when you have to haul your wife and kid around too.

I wouldn't assume that a critic is stupid simply because their interests aren't aligned with yours. I've seen cars like the Matrix and the Mazda3 5-door receiving worse reviews than the Caliber (Dan Jedlicka over on MSN auto comes to mind), so it just depends on what you're reading and whether you care to remember the good reviews instead of dwelling on the bad ones.

If you do want to feel better, by hearing what you want to hear, check out this review:
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Dodge/review/2007-dodge-caliber-road-test/1680/0

·
Registered
285 Posts
holeydonut said:
Meh, no poing in always reading glowing reviews either... can't get usable input if it's always positive. Just like Mazda's new CX7 gets good reviews from some writers, but then some writers realize it's a family car and let it be known that the car falls short when you have to haul your wife and kid around too.

I wouldn't assume that a critic is stupid simply because their interests aren't aligned with yours. I've seen cars like the Matrix and the Mazda3 5-door receiving worse reviews than the Caliber (Dan Jedlicka over on MSN auto comes to mind), so it just depends on what you're reading and whether you care to remember the good reviews instead of dwelling on the bad ones.

If you do want to feel better, by hearing what you want to hear, check out this review:
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Dodge/review/2007-dodge-caliber-road-test/1680/0
I understand what you're saying. But the more I read those car mags, the more I realize they are biased. For instance, one just did a camparison of 5 aftermarket modern muscle cars to run up against a stock C6 (I think). The make the article sound like there's one car that's going to stack up against it. Well, the Hennessey Viper wins all but two of the categories. Yet, at the end of the atricle, they never call a winner. I just don't understand why they would do a comparison and not "call" out a winner or "top car."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I remember most comparo's between the Viper and the Vette seemed to always show the Viper edging out in most performance categories.... but ultimately people would choose the Vette since it wasn't so obnoxious to drive around and generally had better comfort and sporty feel (even though the feel didn't translate to better performance). I guess the price gap usually made those comparisons useless too.

I think the whole point of car reviews is to make people feel good about a car purchase. So they like to read good things about some cars, and then not-so-good things about other cars so they feel like they made the right choice. I doubt anybody out there thinks a beat-writer for cars is always spot on... they're always "wrong" because it's impossible to agree with them all the time.

People who rely on car reviews soley for their car research are doing themselves a disservice because there's no way a writer for some newspaper will appreciate the car in the way that each individual does. So, you can get 3 dozen reviews, and no nothing more about the car because most things that add up to a satisifed purchase are subjective. I don't hear most people say they liked a car simply because it could pull X number of G's on a skidpad or had a sweet 0-100-0 time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Real world testing is more accurate anyway. That's why this forum is so great, because we're getting true non-biased reviews on this car, mostly good and some not so much. But that's a much more reliable evaluation than what one group of "experts" in a car magazine say. They have the vehicles for a few days or weeks, we have them for months or years, and we do alot moreof the plain and ordinary driving to work and back with them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
RadioDude said:
Real world testing is more accurate anyway. That's why this forum is so great, because we're getting true non-biased reviews on this car, mostly good and some not so much. But that's a much more reliable evaluation than what one group of "experts" in a car magazine say. They have the vehicles for a few days or weeks, we have them for months or years, and we do alot moreof the plain and ordinary driving to work and back with them.
Agreed. Like I said, I'd trust you guys more than those magazine "experts" as you put it. :D

·
Banned
76 Posts
RadioDude said:
Non-biased? I would say an owners group is the most biased review you will get.

How many new car purchasers are going to turn around and say, "Yeah it's a real POS." after dropping some hard earned cash.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ewitz said:

How many new car purchasers are going to turn around and say, "Yeah it's a real POS." after dropping some hard earned cash.
I would for one. If I'm really having problem with the car, and I was on a forum such as this. I would want other people to know about my problems, so they could either make a more informed opinion about buying, or keep it in the back of their mind for those who have already purchased. That's what a forum like this is for. To share all relavent information, good and bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ewitz said:
Not all bias is positive!! ;)

I think that for the most part, enthusiasts are pretty HONEST about any issues/downfalls with a particular vehicle though... I'm sure you can tell by the posts, people have had issues, and they still love their calibers, for the most part. And there have been a few honest posts by people who got one, then changed their minds... it happens :rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts
we'll have to see how they rant and rave over the next gen Lancer which the Caliber is based on....I'm sure they'll love it and slam the Cali

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think there will be enough shared between the 2 cars to warrant the bashing based on the chassis alone. I really doubt the EvoX will have the same suspension setup, the same materials and finish on the inside, and I really doubt you'll have the same ride qualities. I think saying they share a same "platform" may be more accurate... as they'll do so much modification that you won't be able to find descrete similarities anymore.

Basically, shared chassis has nothing to do with the end appreciation of a car. This isn't the days of the brand enginnering for the old W-Body GM cars where you could be fooled by whether or not you were driving a Grand Prix or a Cutlass Supreme.

It's just like the Maxima having the same Nissan FF-L platform as the Quest. You could easily say the Quest blows just because it's a completely different vehicle than the Maxima. The Ford C1 platform is used in a Volvo S40 and a Mazda5. Again, it's easy to say the Mazda5 isn't the most inspiring car while being impressed by an AWD S40.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The further the journalist gets from the demographic of the people who would actually buy the car being reviewed the more odd the review seems by those who are reading it for information about that car.... Car and Driver did a sub 25k shoot out last year, SRT4 owned every single test but the back of the performance pack RSX won because it was more comfortable for their old behinds. My dad would pick the RSX over an SRT4 as well if for whatever reason he was looking at the two, but he never would and this is why you get the occasional dumb review; a journalist who cares/knows little about a car in a category that doesn't interest/apeal to them.

Regarding the accuracy and the example of the Viper Vs. Vette showdown (Car and Driver http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10243/comparison-test-review-2006-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2006-dodge-viper-srt10.html)
Sure, the Viper's 1:27.50 lap time was 1.50 seconds slower than the Vette's, but given the choice between the two of them on the track, all of us preferred the Viper. We scored the Viper's handling a 10 out of 10 and gave the Z06 a 6.

Unfortunately, handling was the only performance area where the Viper prevailed; it trailed the Z06 in every speed category. The Viper's 3.8-second 0-to-60 sprint is still plenty quick, but it's almost a half-second slower than the Vette's. Some of that difference comes down to an issue of engine rpm and gearing. The Vette, for example, can reach 60 mph in first gear, whereas the Viper must use up a time-consuming gearshift. But in the quarter-mile, where the gearing isn't so much an issue, the Viper's 12.1-second time trails the Vette's by 0.3 second. As speeds increase, the Corvette's advantage widens. To hit 150 mph, the Viper needs 20.2 seconds, the Z06, 17.9. In a drag race, the Viper loses.
Seems like a fair comparo to me... Vette was faster in all the tests and less expensive, they gave the viper a nod for its handling though (despite being slower). We all love it when they write a review about how the less expensive SRT4 is a dragon slayer in disguise lol, it works both ways... this time GM won

1 - 14 of 14 Posts