Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions about my 5-speed caliber...
1) I'm only getting a reading of an AVG 18 mpg or so on my car. is this normal? the car has approx 300 miles on it so far. I thouht these cars were supposed to get like 28 for the 1.8. I understand its realistically gonna be a little less than that, but to me, 18 mpg seems too low.
2) I have this weird button under my Rear View Mirror that I cannot figure out what it does lol. It looks like a power button and it has 2 green lights, one on either side of the button. When I press this weird 'power' button, only the left greed light lights up. I originally thought this was this UConnect thing that maybe I got installed in my car by accident (haha I wish), but everyone's rear view mirror that i see looks different than mine. Maybe i'm wrong? I don't know. If anyone knows whats up with that button that would be great, and also whats with my mpg? i tried reseting it and i still don't get over 20mpg.
Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw i'm gonna feel bad if this button was disscussed earlier in the forums somewhere. i tried doing some research on here about the button and I haven't found anything. The Instruction Manual for the car only talks about a "Auto Dimming" rear view mirror or some sun shade thing. anyway, the picture looks different than my rear view mirror

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ninbri64 said:
btw i'm gonna feel bad if this button was disscussed earlier in the forums somewhere. i tried doing some research on here about the button and I haven't found anything. The Instruction Manual for the car only talks about a "Auto Dimming" rear view mirror or some sun shade thing. anyway, the picture looks different than my rear view mirror
If it has a green light it should be the auto-dimming mirror. Green means it's auto-dimming and off is normal mode.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ninbri64 said:
I have two questions about my 5-speed caliber...
1) I'm only getting a reading of an AVG 18 mpg or so on my car. is this normal? the car has approx 300 miles on it so far. I thouht these cars were supposed to get like 28 for the 1.8. I understand its realistically gonna be a little less than that, but to me, 18 mpg seems too low...
It does seem a little low, especially for the 1.8.

However, and as you may have already assumed, this is another of those things that has been discussed in some previous threads here.

First of all, it seems that both mileage and performance noticeably improve during and after the Caliber's "break-in" period. Mine certainly has.

In addition, like any vehicle, your mileage may vary with driving conditions. Not only how it is driven by the operator, but local conditions as well. I average just over 20 MPG driving mostly in heavy stop-and-go tourist traffic, but 30 MPG on an "open road".

I believe some folks have noticed fuel efficiency improvement after a computer reflash involved with a TSB (technical service bulletin) and recall of certain production-run Calibers.

If I had time at the moment, I would look up some of the previous discussions about all this and provide links. However, you can easily find them with the search feature with keywords such as "mileage", etc and browsing the resulting list for the appropriate discussions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have have the 5speed but mine doesn't have the convenience package so I figure mine out manually by writing the miles on the receipt at every fill up. In the beginning I was averaging 24 city and 30 on highway but after the computer flash I had several tanks right around 17 and I am not sure why. After that it seems to go back to normal and continue to improve. Now I have 4500 miles on my car and it has gotten much better. My last highway trip I got a little over 35 MPG and my fill up last night was about 75% city and I got a littler over 28 MPG.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same (1.8L with auto dimming rear view) and my manual doesn't even mention the auto-dimming rear view mirror once (at least not that I found). So thanks for posting, cause I was wondering what that was myself. I had assumed it was the auto dimming button, but wasn't sure.

Don't have the mileage problem though. Hope you figure it out

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your responses. So I guess I do in fact have the auto dimming rear view mirror, but (now I feel really stupid haha) what does it do and how does it work? one user said its on auto dim when the light is green. I haven't noticed any difference if its on or off. Anyway, I guess as the engine breaks in, i'll see better gas mileage I hope. Thanks again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's one of those things where you don't notice it working until you don't have it. Basically it senses when there is a really bright light on it (jerk behind you with high beams) and it auto tilts itself a tiny bit so the light doesn't reflect right on to your face. It doesn't do much during the day though, becaues it can't distiguish the headlights behind you from sunlight.

At least that is how I believe it works, as that is what I've noticed in my dad's Buick, which also has auto dimming headlights.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, when mine is on green it works. I noticed the first night that I got it the headlights behind me all had a greenish tint and didn't hurt my eyes. I thought hey that auto dimming thing must be working. I forgot I had it. I noticed a big difference. It was nice not to have to adjust the mirror for night and put it back for the day. Not a big deal just convenient...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Best rear-view mirror to date IMO! I don't understand though why there's a button to shut it off, why would you ever want to do that. LOL

Your mileage sounds way off dude, even with a fresh engine. I don't know for sure though, I own an SXT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sherdog said:
Best rear-view mirror to date IMO! I don't understand though why there's a button to shut it off, why would you ever want to do that. LOL

Your mileage sounds way off dude, even with a fresh engine. I don't know for sure though, I own an SXT.
Maybe you want to have bright light in your face? :p

Anyway it works by sensing the light, when there is bright light it sends an electrical current to the mirror which causes it to darken.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Anyone can install an auto dimming mirror into you Cali. Just buy a used Auto dimming mirror off Ebay install it, and wire it up. You only need 12V power and ground, which are both located conveniently in your overhead console for the map lights. I will be adding one to my car soon. I have done it on both my previous cars which didn't come from the factory with it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
And it works by making the rearveiw get a greenish tint when it senses headlights behind you. The brighter the lights, the darker the tint. And if it's the factory installed one, when you put the transmission in reverse it overrides the dimming function as a safety feature. Has a light sensor in front for reference light, and one on the mirror itself to sense lighs behind you. Works good, even with tinted windows.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you have an auto-dimming mirror there will be a light sensor hole in the front of the mirror (facing the front of car). During the day try covering this hole with your hand. After about 30 seconds you should see the mirror dim.

There is a second light sensor facing the rear of the car. When the rear sensor has more light on it (indicating headlights from behind) than the front the mirror will dim cutting glare.

·
Registered
146 Posts
HSKR said:
Anyone can install an auto dimming mirror into you Cali. Just buy a used Auto dimming mirror off Ebay install it, and wire it up. You only need 12V power and ground, which are both located conveniently in your overhead console for the map lights. I will be adding one to my car soon. I have done it on both my previous cars which didn't come from the factory with it.
AWESOME to know, thanks HSKR!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts