·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For $500 on Manual Transmition only... go figure. I want it

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess we should have figured, it being brand new and all, that's why I'm waiting a little while to get the Nitro. So they can fine tune everything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
sorry... I'm drawing a blank... what's ESP???

·
Registered
256 Posts
The available Electronic Stability Program* (ESP) helps drivers maintain control by measuring the vehicle's steering angle, turning rate, and acceleration to detect spin (oversteer) or plow (understeer), and automatically applying the throttle and/or brakes when necessary.

I think...

·
Registered
82 Posts
think we can go back to the dealer and have them put in it?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't like how often Dodge plays this game of releasing a model then chaning it so much in a short period of time... primarly the reason i fear getting the first run of the Caliber SRT4 when it could get new features/colours etc. shortly after buying

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
I don't like how often Dodge plays this game of releasing a model then chaning it so much in a short period of time... primarly the reason i fear getting the first run of the Caliber SRT4 when it could get new features/colours etc. shortly after buying
I don't think they really changed anything. If I am right, I believe ESP was deemed Late Avalibility from the beginning.

·
Registered
911 Posts
spacenerd04 said:
think we can go back to the dealer and have them put in it?
No because it requires Anti-Lock brakes for one thing. So if you didn't get anti-lock brakes, you're already screwed and NO, the dealer cannot just add anti-lock brakes to your Caliber. Thats a whole different braking system.

Second of all, I believe it only works with 4-wheel disc anti-lock brakes.

Third, its more than just reflashing the computer with the ESP built into it. It doesn't quite work that way...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
I don't think they really changed anything. If I am right, I believe ESP was deemed Late Avalibility from the beginning.
You are correct. Its even in the Caliber booklet, marked as ESP being a late availability for R/T only. It never even mentioned the SXT as being able to get it. As to the reason why it may not of been available from the get go, Dodge probably didn't have all of the bugs worked out yet for it to function properly, and/or the parts to make it may not of been available until now. This is a common thing in the car industry. All car manufacturers have late availability options, not just Chrysler vehicles.

Don't get wrong, I would love to have it as well. I think it would kinda compensate a little for me not having AWD on mine here in these Upstate NY winters. Just glad I don't live in Buffalo right now!!!

One of the bigger things ESP does is keep you from rolling over in the event of a quick decision move in any driving conditions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
No because it requires Anti-Lock brakes for one thing. So if you didn't get anti-lock brakes, you're already screwed and NO, the dealer cannot just add anti-lock brakes to your Caliber. Thats a whole different braking system.

Second of all, I believe it only works with 4-wheel disc anti-lock brakes.

Third, its more than just reflashing the computer with the ESP built into it. It doesn't quite work that way...
yeah I know ... I was just kidding... I'm not an idiot :p

(..at least not all the time)

·
Registered
111 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
You are correct. Its even in the Caliber booklet, marked as ESP being a late availability for R/T only. It never even mentioned the SXT as being able to get it. As to the reason why it may not of been available from the get go, Dodge probably didn't have all of the bugs worked out yet for it to function properly, and/or the parts to make it may not of been available until now. This is a common thing in the car industry. All car manufacturers have late availability options, not just Chrysler vehicles.

Don't get wrong, I would love to have it as well. I think it would kinda compensate a little for me not having AWD on mine here in these Upstate NY winters. Just glad I don't live in Buffalo right now!!!

One of the bigger things ESP does is keep you from rolling over in the event of a quick decision move in any driving conditions.
In Finland and I think that in all around Europe you can have ESP on all models.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That could be... Maybe its a safety requirement in Europe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not necessarily a rquirement, but I think they coulnd´t have released it here without such a "standard" safety feature (just like ABS), which is common in all cars at this price range.

At least all Euro diesel models have the ESP and additionally TCS (Traction Control System) and BAS (Brake Assistant).

Sorry guys, but I have to pay about 10k$ more than you Americans, so there must be at least "some" advantage... ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got it on my R/T but who knows how well it works. Guess i'll have to wait for some snow to mess around in since i also have AWD......Could be fun!

·
Registered
911 Posts
DeMarco said:
Not necessarily a rquirement, but I think they coulnd´t have released it here without such a "standard" safety feature (just like ABS), which is common in all cars at this price range.

At least all Euro diesel models have the ESP and additionally TCS (Traction Control System) and BAS (Brake Assistant).

Sorry guys, but I have to pay about 10k$ more than you Americans, so there must be at least "some" advantage... ;)

Yeah you pay more because your currency is behind the US and also you have to pay to have it shipped overseas. Also I would consider Euro models, "special orders". You should be lucky the Caliber is even offered in Europe. I personally don't think it should be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I know how they calculate the Euro price & I (well, almost) gladly pay the 25k$ for such a unique car. I was just trying to be sarcastic, next time I try harder though. ;)

But why do you think the Caliber shouldn´t be offered here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We ordered our Cali. at the end of July, picked it up 2 weeks ago , Sunburst Orange SXT, Sport, 2.0 liter, CVT, ABS,ESP,Cruise, Sunroof, Heated Seats.Made sure the ESP was going to be available when the car was built, the dealer said he had no problem submitting the order. First thing we checked when we picked up the car was to make sure it had the ESP, which it does. There is a button on the lower center dash next to the heated seat swich marked ESP OFF, plus the light on the dash. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
You should be lucky the Caliber is even offered in Europe. I personally don't think it should be.
I think that american carmakers (isn't Dodge is now European owned = DCX) have no other way than seek markets outside USA. GM and Ford are in great problems nowadays.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts