Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I took my Caliber SXT on the highway. Took the off ramp at about 40mph and it felt like it was going to tip over. NOT very good. (In comparison, my mother's 300m can easily take the same exit at 45mph with just the tiniest bit of protest from the tires.)

What are my current options for fatter sway bars on both ends, polyurethane bushings, and a strut tower brace? Anything better on the horizon?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You can maybe look into how much of the R/T suspention can bolt up. It more than likely just has stiffer springs and struts/shocks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Strut tower braces are quite useless in cases like this vehicle and my past car, both cars had the strut towers built into the firewall. The firewall provides MUCH, MUCH more bracing between the two sides of the vehicle on the front end than some bar tieing across the top.

Though the rear is a different story..

The only true way to brace it much better than as it is, is by use of an ACTUAL strut tower bar which ties across the top AND a bar that goes down from the top of the strut tower and through the firewall tied to a cage, these two bars coming down cross each other before going through the firewall. I used to have a picture of one on an auto-x BMW.

There is probably room for improvement underneath the vehicle in the form of member/ladder braces similar to these:

The number one modification to any steering, suspension or braking system is always the same... tires, tires, tires. Proper tire selection is key. You would be surprised how much a different beast a vehicle can feel like with a properly chosen set of tires.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have found my SXT to be quite stable in the corners. Steering input is a little heavy for my liking. Like being on the sportbike, I slow down before the corner, and accellerate through the turn, and I've felt pretty comfortable with it, tires squealing and all.

Also, you have to compare apples with apples, not with oranges. My father owns a 300M special, and it's a much wider and lower car, with wider and higher quality wheels/tires. Obviously it will be more stable and planted in the corner. The Caliber is (estimated) about 1.5 feet narrower, 1.5 feet taller, and the tires are missing about 2 inches of rubber on the side. This car was also not made to be a speed demon. (SRT-4 exception) The same turn I take on my crotch rocket I have to take at half speed in the car, lol.

I will say these firestone tires are crap. I can't wait to get a set of Michelin's on it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts