Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some basic info on the Caliber

Where in the States is it built ?

Are the engines in the USA Calibers all made by Dodge? My Cali's engine will be a VW.

Do you all buy Automatics or are there any members who have the manual.

When did the first one go on sale in the States?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I can answer one of your questions definately.

It's built in Belvidere, Illinois.

I believe the Caliber went into production in March, 2006, but not sure about that. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I know some other members have purchased the manual, although my Cali is an automatic.

As for the engine, I'm totally in the dark on that one.:)

~M

·
Registered
377 Posts
All Gasoline engines are new World Engines built with help from Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi. I believe they are made in Michigan. The only other engine used is in Europe, and that is the 2.0 CRD VW Engine. North America does not offer a Diesel option yet. Most Calibers will have the automatic because it is the first one with the new CVT2 transmission. It is also the only option in NA for those that want the 2.0L or the 2.4L (I know there is a 5-Speed FWD RT in the works). If you want the 5-Speed you ahve to get the 1.8L engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responces. Meek 84 and Tigerr too.

Belvidere, Illinios.

Thats interesting I thought it may have been Detroit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most people think that all American cars are made in Detroit, but most aren't, Canada, Mexico and lots of states have manufacturing plants for assembly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think that the CVT is more popular because you can drive either fully automatic or you can use the Autostick feature which is like changing gears but without a clutch. I tend to use my Autostick at junctions and roundabouts so I feel more in control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StephenM UK said:
I think that the CVT is more popular because you can drive either fully automatic or you can use the Autostick feature which is like changing gears but without a clutch. I tend to use my Autostick at junctions and roundabouts so I feel more in control.
Mine will be 100% manaul because thats what I like...even in traffic jams, I'm not too fussed.

I have had auto's before and I wont slate them for their ease of driving my ROSPA instructor agreed that they are safer to drive as well as more concentration on driving over comes that of changing gears all the time.

The CVT looks like it presents a nice option there Stephen_M, full auto or semi-auto selector may take off in the UK..are there any other cars over here that use this configuration?

·
Registered
377 Posts
In NA the Autostick is only available on the RT with the 2.4L Engine. I think in Europe you guys can get it with any Engine. It may have been more popular here if it was available on the SXT with the 2.0L Engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My previous car (Peugoet 307) had the same function although I didn't realise that it's only available on the RT in the States??

I'm not so sure I'd have gone for the straight Auto though? Now, if the diesel had an Auto option I'd have had one of those!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would have bought a Diesel 5-Speed over anything else. Nefver had a Diesel before, but I am a great fan of the greater torque. Plus the gas cost and mileage are better as well.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Tigerr said:
All Gasoline engines are new World Engines built with help from Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi. I believe they are made in Michigan....
yes, the engines are built in Michigan. At the GEMA plant in Dundee.
http://www.gemaengine.com/
(GEMA = Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance)

Start of production was definitely earlier than March, because the first owner on this board (Silverfox) got his the 2nd week of February.

There are US owners on this board who have the 5-speed transmission. The Belvidere plant incorporated those on the assembly line in May 2006. Mudstone was able to place his order in December 2005, so the car was definitely for sale at that point.

Belvidere IL is about an hour north and west of Chicago, near Rockford and the Wisconsin border.
Dundee MI is about an hour south and west of Detroit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If the diesel would have been available in NA, I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.. I am a BIG fan of diesels as can be noted in my sig line ....of course, it would still have had to be RED..:D

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
yes, the engines are built in Michigan. At the GEMA plant in Dundee.
http://www.gemaengine.com/
(GEMA = Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance)

Start of production was definitely earlier than March, because the first owner on this board (Silverfox) got his the 2nd week of February.

There are US owners on this board who have the 5-speed transmission. The Belvidere plant incorporated those on the assembly line in May 2006. Mudstone was able to place his order in December 2005, so the car was definitely for sale at that point.

Belvidere IL is about an hour north and west of Chicago, near Rockford and the Wisconsin border.
Dundee MI is about an hour south and west of Detroit.
Wow ! You know your stuff ! You have answered all of my queries, you win a cookie !
Thanks !

·
Registered
901 Posts
xlr8 said:
Wow ! You know your stuff ! You have answered all of my queries, you win a cookie !
Thanks !
chocolate chip, please! :p ;)
you're welcome!!!

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
GypsyBill said:
If the diesel would have been available in NA, I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.. I am a BIG fan of diesels as can be noted in my sig line ....of course, it would still have had to be RED..:D
Someone told me that the reason the VW diesel isn't available in the States has to do with the quality of the diesel fuel. The new Euro diesel engines have less tolerance for poor(er) quality fuel (a trade off made for the better fuel economy and durability of the engines). In the U.S., the diesel fuel has a huch higher sulfer content as well as other impurities that make for a lower quality fuel. U.S. refineries aren't set up for refining the hgher quality fuel that the European refineries produce.

U.S. refineries are working to improve their processes to get the fuel quality up to European standards. Once that is complete, expect a flood of Euro diesel engines making their way into the U.S. market. I was told we should start seeing more Euro diesel engines in about five years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts