Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks! I just got my Caliber on Thursday and already someone scratched the piss out of it. It has about a 12" scratch on the front driver's side fender. I am lucky (right) though because it is "just" a light scratch that appears to have not damaged the paint, only the clear coat. As stated in the title, what brand works the best when trying to fill-in, buff out, just plain get rid of a scratch? I tried Meguiar's Scratch X, which my brother-in-law gave me to use. I tried it to no avail. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know. It is very hot here in Michigan at the moment. How long does the product need to dry before you buff it out? Thanks for all of the information and help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
you may need to take a low speed buffer to it with a light polishing compound. If you're not comfortable doing this, an auto detailer can do it for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Believe it or not, if it is a light scratch, use peanut butter. A little deeper, try toothpaste. Then buff with a wax.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I had some light scratches on mine when I bought it from the dealer, looks like it may have been cared for carelessly at the factory or dealer. I took it back to the dealer, and the service dept did a nice job of buffing and polishing everything out. No more scratches or anything in the paint. take it to the dealer, they will get it out. Just tell them the scratches were there. But whatever you do, DON'T USE ANY OF THE ABOVE^^ SUGGESTIONS! (ie; peanut butter, try toothpaste). Ouch!

·
Registered
377 Posts
While the peanut butter on the old toothbrush (Old being very soft and pliable bristles) is a detailer's trick, it's not used for scratches, it's used for getting the white residue left from too much wax or waxing in the sun.

About a year and a half ago now, at my old shop, we had a brand new, white 2004 Ford F-150 and one of the installers cut the turn too short bringing it into the shop and the hook that holds our safety chains scratched the side of the truck, from the front fender, across the doors and to the rear fender, a bright red scratch on white paint. You can't get any worse than that. Since it was a parts store as well as a full service facility, took a tube of Scratch-X and a 7" orbital buffer off the shelf. Thirty minutes later, not even the technician who did the buffing could even tell if the scratch was even there.

Just like waxing, you can't do it in direct sunlight and just take your time. Being a very light scratch, Scratch-X or any fine cut polishing compound will easily take it out. Really the best way to do it is to get or find someone with an ultrasonic paint depth gauge, any detailer worth their wit has one, it shows you the best spot in the paint, where it is the thickest, to use polishing compound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CoolCallie said:
While the peanut butter on the old toothbrush (Old being very soft and pliable bristles) is a detailer's trick, it's not used for scratches, it's used for getting the white residue left from too much wax or waxing in the sun.

...snip...
I dunno, gets scratches around door locks pretty well if they have just got the clear coat. Also works to remove dried on bugs. Dab on the peanutbutter in the garage, let is sit for about 1/2 hour and buff out with a damp rag.

Don't use crunchy, just plain, and use the cheap stuff. I keep a big jar in the garage right next to the synthetic grease. :D

Also FWIW, I'd never use a toothbrush on body panels. They are great for wheels, lugs, Headlights, valve stems, but never over painted stuff.

For lots of great clean-up, shine-up stuff, try http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

·
Banned
400 Posts
irloyal said:
I dunno, gets scratches around door locks pretty well if they have just got the clear coat. Also works to remove dried on bugs. Dab on the peanutbutter in the garage, let is sit for about 1/2 hour and buff out with a damp rag.

Don't use crunchy, just plain, and use the cheap stuff. I keep a big jar in the garage right next to the synthetic grease. :D

Also FWIW, I'd never use a toothbrush on body panels. They are great for wheels, lugs, Headlights, valve stems, but never over painted stuff.

For lots of great clean-up, shine-up stuff, try http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp
You keep any jelly next to that peanut butter & grease irloyal? lol. Seriously, that's a nice link you provided there! Saved it to my favorites, as I enjoy taking care of my beautiful Caliber.:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone with something deeper than a scratch. Langka works very well on paint chips (it's supposed to fix scratches too... but it's probably not the best thing to use). check it out:

http://www.langka.com/
http://www.langka.com/photos.php

I know this stuff seems gimicky, but really, quite a few people over at the Mazda3 forum have used it with varying degrees of luck... although I think the users who are actually patient (and literate) got it to work very well. The paint on 2004 model year Mazda3s was probably the worst paint that I've seen this side of a 90's GM product... so most early buyers had dozens of paint-chipped-holes across their hoods and front fascias.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=9385.0

·
Registered
96 Posts
irloyal said:

No wonder I have a dozen squirrills hanging around my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts