Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a possibility that a big brake kit already exists for our vehicle and has for quite some time? Perhaps they don't know what exactly it fits. A buyer's guide is a wonderful thing, Friction Master has come out and stated their existing line of CMX866 brake pads fit the front of our Caliber. Funny thing is, the 866s are found on quite a number of other vehicles, 2001+ Lancers, Eclipses, Stratus, Sebrings and Galants. Apparently DCX/Mitsubishi likes the parts bin as much as GM does.

So one is led to believe that if the brake pads are the same, then most likely the calipers are the same or very close. That also leads one to believe that rotors are the same or very close, especially when you consider that these other vehicles have the same bolt pattern and use the same offset/backspacing in their wheels as we do.

I haven't had the time to completely research the Lancer/Stratus/Sebring/Eclipse/Galant to see what all kinds of brake goodies they have, but a quick make/model search on Summit Racing returned these two kits for the Stratus, Eclipse and Galant:

Stainless Steel Brakes Force 10 2-piston front disc brake kit
SSB-A167-3
Front, 12" vented and slotted rotors, 2-piston calipers, brake lines included
$769.95

SSB-A167-4
Front, 13" vented and slotted rotors, 2-piston calipers, brake lines included
$879.95

Normally I am not a proponent of big brake kits, but I know alot people love them so I there you go.

·
Registered
644 Posts
what year eclipse does it match... i could always take my crossdrilleds off my eclipse and put them on my caliber... is it all models?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darren07RT said:
what year eclipse does it match... i could always take my crossdrilleds off my eclipse and put them on my caliber... is it all models?
2001-2005 Eclipse (Including Spyder)

·
Registered
644 Posts
in that case i can get these through my wholesale account
Power Slot
Big Brake Upgrade - FRONT - GT - BLACK - Diameter: 12.5" - Plus sized rotors with O.E. caliper relocation kit - 17" wheels or larger are required for caliper clearance - subject to wheel backspacing $450.00
and
Big Brake Upgrade - REAR - GT - BLACK - Diameter: 11.5" - Plus sized rotors with O.E. caliper relocation kit - 17" wheels or larger are required for caliper clearance - subject to wheel backspacing $200.00

for someone who might not want to spend as much money.

or if you dont want the big brake kit i can do
Performance Crossdrilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - ALL Mdls - FRONT - Silver Cadimum Plated - PAIR $140

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amandyke said:
You might want to mention that this only affects SXT's and maybe SE's. R/T's have bigger brakes all around.
But apparently the same pads, 866s listed for all of them in Friction Master and Raybestos catalogs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How would this affect the parking brake system? My SXT has rear drums which presumably are engaged with the parking brake. If I were to do a complete disc brake swap as Darren lists above, wouldn't I need to change the parking brake too?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Before anyone wastes money on any big brake upgrade listed for other cars, you might want to verify the calipers are mounted the same way as on the other vehicle. Just because the pads are the same, doesn't mean the calipers are the same, just means the calipers accept the same style pad.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HSKR said:
Before anyone wastes money on any big brake upgrade listed for other cars, you might want to verify the calipers are mounted the same way as on the other vehicle. Just because the pads are the same, doesn't mean the calipers are the same, just means the calipers accept the same style pad.
True, but as pointed out, DCX/Mitsu loves the parts bin just as much as GM and it shows when you find out how many parts from one vehicle are identical on another and another and another...

As for the rear of the R/T, it's pads are identically "the same type" as found on the rear of 04+ Lancers (Non-Evos) and 04+ Outlanders.

·
Registered
644 Posts
ya, i need to switch out my front rotors already... they dont stay cool enough for how i drive and there starting to warp already.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Darren07RT said:
ya, i need to switch out my front rotors already... they dont stay cool enough for how i drive and there starting to warp already.
Most warping comes from holding the brake after coming to a complete stop and not rolling forward a little bit. The pads hold the heat in on that part of the rotor while the rest of the rotor cools off. When i stop, I always roll forward after coming to a complete stop so the rotor doesn't sit in the same spot while I wait for the light to change or traffic to move again.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HSKR said:
Most warping comes from holding the brake after coming to a complete stop and not rolling forward a little bit. The pads hold the heat in on that part of the rotor while the rest of the rotor cools off. When i stop, I always roll forward after coming to a complete stop so the rotor doesn't sit in the same spot while I wait for the light to change or traffic to move again.
Which is why I loved the autostick in my old Mazda6, downshift coming up to a light so all I had to do was to press the brake to stop the vehicle, not slow it down. What an amazing concept, brakes to stop a car, not slow it down. I used to get on people all the time that kept coming back to the shop complaining our rotors were crap and they kept warping, I would ask them to take me on a test drive and let me observe how they drove the vehicle normally and point out how they needed to correct their errors to prevent warping.

Warping can also be caused by idiots at quick lubes or less professional tire shops using an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts instead of a torque wrench and doing it by hand. It got so bad for the Ford Taurus, Ford issued out a TSB about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
umm problem with this warping thing... mine doesn't do that... i've had a few cars and all of them i drive the absolute piss out of... sadly this includes the cali but i've never had the problem of the rotors warping... just MASSIVE brake fade... though not so much on the caliber... my one beef is... REAR DRUMS... just make them go away and someone please tell me how... even just to swap in the RT brake setup..

·
Registered
644 Posts
^^ cant help ya on that one... ive got discs...

im just annoyed when im doing 110+ on the highway and start to deccelerate the damn brakes vibrate.... never have that problem with xdrilleds... might switch um out if i get some extra cash any time soon.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
the caliber srt4 is going to use the parts bin from the larger lx cars and probally have fantastic stopping power... i think it'd be cheaper to find a stock Charger, 300C, Magnum setup than to go AM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts