Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am glad to be part of the club and I love my new car... It has everything I want in a car. I've had it for about a week and have 260 miles.

The car alignment is off but will get that done soon. The CVT transmission feels kinda weird and am still getting used to ... accelerating from a dead stop feels like a manual putting along. Braking seems to feel weird as the transmission doesnt down shift but once. This all is just NEW to me and I am not used to. But it is normal,right? (please leave feedback on the CVT - much appreciated)

Moving along, Steering is pretty tight, handling is decent.

Now breaking it in - I have been driving very lightly and accelerating slowly. I would like to know how everyone else is breaking in their caliber and would appreciate any tips.

last and not least... I'm almost at 300miles. Would that be a good time to change my oil, If not what mileage would?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like you got yours about the same time I got mine, last Tuesday. The dealer told me not to worry about an oil change till the usual 3000 mile mark. I've heard that a new car might benefit from an earlier one the first time but that was not from a professional. Don't know about the CVT. Mine's a manual SXT Sport in Marine Blue. I hope your having as much fun with yours as I am with mine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Acidbath,

Most prior discussions recommended the oil changes in the owners manual, and state why. As far as break in, most folks just avoid severe operation and operate the Caliber sensibly during that period. The general consensus is that gas mileage and performance improve noticeably as the vehicle is broken in.

You can review some of the previous posts for much more detailed information - locating these posts is easer by using the "search" feature and entering keywords like "oil change", "break in", and "CVT".

There is also extensive input by many members about the effect and impressions of the CVT transmission; mostly, it matches your statement and is considered a normal response.

These topics have been extensively covered in many previous discussions. Even though we've also had newer members with more recent experiences, many folks may hesitate to post the same info over and over each time the same questions are asked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts