Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have such a love-hate relationship with black vehicles.

Yesterday I was detailing in the morning, then had family stuff and finished detailing until almost 10 PM. When I finished washing the car in the morning, I was horrified to see probably the most swirl marks I've ever seen on a vehicle.

I used Nu Finish Scratch Doctor on the entire vehicle except the roof, buffed it out with an orbital, and than later in the day waxed it. The sun wasn't out so I wasn't able to check the results. I was not happy at all yesterday.

I also used that Armor All Wheel Protectant stuff, so we'll see how well that stuff works.

I pull it out of the garage this morning and wow. The paint looks extremely clear like a mirror good enough for a woman to do her make-up in.

So now, I'm so geeked on how awesome it looks (that will only last probably one day) that I love owning a black car. I swear it's like some magic spell.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
after i had my black camaro, i swore id never buy another black car again.

cars really do look good in black, but i cant stand to see swirl marks.

silver hides them REALLY well. which is another reason why its the BEST.

car looks good tho grease.

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
Looks good!

I too love black vehicles, but the maintenance on them to keep them looking 110% is too much for my schedule recently...and if you can't keep them at the top, they look like crap lol

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I learned thru the years that swirl marks are all caused by undisciplined car cleaning.

So if you get yourself a new car again, these are steps you want to follow:

#1 Tell dealership you don't want your cars exterior prepped for pickup. Ask them to just power wash and leave alone.

#2 Get BRAND NEW wash cloths/sponges for the new car. From the moment they get out of the wrapper, it should NEVER:

- Touch the ground
- Rest on the bottom of the bucket
- Left in the area where you can shoot wood chips or steel chips onto it. Never rest it on anything crappy in the garage to dry.

#3 Always have 2 sponges/cloths. One for your car and other for your wheels and lower parts of the car where most of the road grime is.

#4 If you can find one of those mesh things for the bottom of your bucket thats perfect! That way your cloth never rests on the bottom of the bucket.

#5 Always rinse the car first, Always wash the CAR first, Wheels and bottom parts of the car 2nd.

#6 NEVER use polishing/buffing compounds on the car. This is what will cause the swirl marks. Unless you have a high speed buffer don't ever touch it, but even w/ the high speed buffer you will leave swirls at times. Wax only masks these swirls..

I also use Rejex instead of wax and it works AWESOME! Zero swirl marks on this car and almost 3yrs.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I forgot to mention that car looks sexy! No color looks as sweet as black when it's clean!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
If you have swirl marks, the only way to really get rid of them, is to use a rotational buffer and a medium grade compound.

Done right and carefully, it will make the car look STUNNING again, and the results will last.

I have had to buff a few black cars at work, and they look SO much better after a good and proper buffing.

I may biff my car before the winter this year, and finish that up with a good polish, and then a couple coats of wax.

I normally clay the car before the winter, but as i just clayed my car a few weeks ago, im probably going to skip the claying this time around, and give it a good washing, and buff/polish/wax

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I had a black roadrunner which looked real nice at night under the city lights. Though I had fun shining it up, it was a bitch. Same thing with the swirl marks and I had to make sure people didn't lean up on the car. Worst if they wore jeans but body oils wasn't any better.

Black vehicles are very nice looking though in reality I'd never own one again.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
After owning my black/crome bike, I always said never again.
Sure enough, there is a Black CSRT sitting in my garage right now.

Black cars are like having a super hot girlfriend. Nice to look at, but damn, they are a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My crutch is automatic car washes. It's difficult to hand wash all the time due to time constraints or weather.

When I wash, I use all microfiber, have a sealed container for all my towels and such, and use the two bucket method.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My crutch is automatic car washes.
Yup, forgot to add those. If you go, only use touchless car wash. We live in the same climate, winter time I take it to one of those bays where you wash yourself, then just powerwash w/ soap then water.

I also thought about my car in winter time when I was building my house and had hot water tap installed in the garage :)..

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
Yup, forgot to add those. If you go, only use touchless car wash. We live in the same climate, winter time I take it to one of those bays where you wash yourself, then just powerwash w/ soap then water.

I also thought about my car in winter time when I was building my house and had hot water tap installed in the garage :)..
i use a touchless car wash every other day in the winter lol

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I am very selective on the touch ones I go to, but it still doesn't matter. What's probably worse are the towels they use to dry your car sitting outside all day.

I use touchless, but since I moved there isn't one near me. Those also aren't the greatest though because the chemicals used can be more harsh, but not as bad as salt and calcium chloride on your car.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I am very selective on the touch ones I go to, but it still doesn't matter. What's probably worse are the towels they use to dry your car sitting outside all day.

I use touchless, but since I moved there isn't one near me. Those also aren't the greatest though because the chemicals used can be more harsh, but not as bad as salt and calcium chloride on your car.
The touchless car washes in my area are pretty useless. Because of the lack of water preasure (believe the city service is ~60PSI on the main lines) they can never get all the soap and crap off the car.
I only use the U-wash places or wash it myself at home. Between washes, a light dust off with a California duster takes car of the dust on the back hatch and fenders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black is the best. Changing color because of a few marks - bad idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts