Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I ordered a Caliber SXT Sport in late February (it should arrive at the dealer any day now). The only feature that came with the Sport package that I'm not familiar with is "Black-Out Tape." Does anyone know what this is used for?

I can't wait for my Caliber to arrive. I actually saw an orange one on the road yesterday (I'm getting siver).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The "black-out" tape is used for looks and appears to be available with the Sport package only, not as a stand alone option. It brings together the lines of the windows. In my opinion, it looks a lot better with it than without it, especially with tinted windows.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I took some quick pics of what I believe you are referring to.

They show this tape on both sides of the rear pillar "C-post" area, an "interior-looking-outward" shot from that rearmost window, and around the windshield and rear windows:

·
Registered
901 Posts
(harley, I borrowed your pic and marked it up to ask this question....)

So the blackout tape is (A) - on the inside of windows??? I thought it was (B), exterior trim, also between the front and rear doors on each side....

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the picture posted by Harley and marked on by DodgeGirlKathy, the black-out tape is marked as "B". The black-out tape has nothing at all to do with the windows, inside or out. It is located where the front and rear doors meet and as shown in the picture above. As for superbang worrying about it ripping off over time, don't be. I have black-out tape on my '02 Dakota and i've had no problems with it ripping off.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
MiniMagnum said:
In the picture posted by Harley and marked on by DodgeGirlKathy, the black-out tape is marked as "B". The black-out tape has nothing at all to do with the windows, inside or out. It is located where the front and rear doors meet and as shown in the picture above. As for superbang worrying about it ripping off over time, don't be. I have black-out tape on my '02 Dakota and i've had no problems with it ripping off.
OK - I wondered about that.

When I read the initial posts, THAT is what SEEMED to be considered as the "black-out" tape, but it seems to be more of a COATING or FINISH than a "tape".

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Blackout tape is standard on he SXT-sport and the R/T. I like it a lot. Gives the car the pillar-less look (which exotics and luxury cars are known for... because it shows spaciousness and engineering prowess... not to mention a huge window area for the open-air feeling).

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
If you were albe to peel off the black-out tape off a car with it installed, is the pillar still painted?? Seems as though they paint all the doors pillar and all, and just add the tape and save some money. I don't see some going through a taping and painting stage. Seems as though they just add it for the SXT Sport. It has a slight rubber feeling to it, and if someone really wanted to remove it seems as though they could.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The black edge around the glass in all the pics is so the uv rays from the sun dosn't breakdown the urathane. I learned that from carlite the glass people

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought the vent visors from Ma Mopar and they don't look good on the rear windows with the black out tape. I did not put them on. The fronts are not so bad, have not put them on yet though. I think it's REALLY good sticky tape from what it feels like.

I really want in channel vent visors, those would look good! The vent visors would like fine (I believe) on cars without the tape stripe. It just looks bad because the tape stripe is wrinkle finish, and the visor is smoke shiny plastic. They clash(?).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Haha...clash? :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
OrangeRT said:
I bought the vent visors from Ma Mopar and they don't look good on the rear windows with the black out tape. I did not put them on. The fronts are not so bad, have not put them on yet though. I think it's REALLY good sticky tape from what it feels like.

I really want in channel vent visors, those would look good! The vent visors would like fine (I believe) on cars without the tape stripe. It just looks bad because the tape stripe is wrinkle finish, and the visor is smoke shiny plastic. They clash(?).
uh oh, the ventvisors don't look good? I just picked up a set of those too. I'll have to have someone hold them in place to check it out before I put the tape on. (which IS very sticky, btw. ya put 'em on crooked and too bad, can't peel them up to adjust.)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
OrangeRT said:

I would get mine painted body color!:D Which is what I had in mind to do depending..

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, body color for me...

Nice sig Joe! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
How do you get body color vent visors???? I put double sided carpet tape small pieces to just hold them in place. The rears just don't look good!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
OrangeRT said:
How do you get body color vent visors???? I put double sided carpet tape small pieces to just hold them in place. The rears just don't look good!!!!
I was thinking of taking it (when I get one, I don't have a Caliber, can never stop thinking mods though) when I get the mirrors painted I would get the visors sanded and painted too....and if they have not come out with body color handles (if I go SXT) before I bought one then that would happen too....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts