Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it! Got the bumper off, took out the headlights and painted the housing black. IMO I think it looks way better than the eBay "projectors" do, and it cost way less as well. It looks stunning, very smooth and clean from what I've been told by some people. I've got complete how to and DIY pictures if you would like.

I decided to leave the chrome rings and the > shape by the turn signal just so they wouldn't look so dull. They reflect the same amount of light as before and the car is perfectly visible in the dark.

Here's the before pic, I'm sure I don't actually need to post this pic...

And here's the after :D, it's nice to know this is the only car out there that has these...

Post your comments and feedback, I wanna know what Caliber ppl think.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reflectors

I took my reflectors out because I didn't like the look. Here's some pictures of the lights with reflectors I took just incase there were some curious ppl.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very nice job.

Mind posting step by step?

My frau is going to kill me...... :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the comments guys i really appreciate it. it seems easy but it's a lot of work. especially when no one else has done it and can guarantee they'll look good and when you have limited resources to figure out how to take the car apart without damaging anything.

i actually had these done last sunday but within 1 day they had moisture in them and got all fogged up. i guess rushing the sealant part wasn't a good idea. so this weekend i took them out on friday night and baked them. my plan was to open them and clean them out and reseal but as i was baking common sense kicked in and i realized the moisture can be heated out of there. so i let them sit an extra 10 min in the oven to fully dry and then applied 2 layers of sealant. 98% sure i won't have the moisture problem again. let the sealant cure from friday night to this morning and put the car together in record time of 30min. washed it and took these pics for you guys.

step by step coming soon. i've got pics on the whole process, will be posting soon.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i like it, looks sweet i also would like to know how you dit it or dit you buy the kit from ebay???.Cheers thomas

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tupmeier said:
i like it, looks sweet i also would like to know how you dit it or dit you buy the kit from ebay???.Cheers thomas
didn't buy anything from ebay, i looked at that one and didn't like the led's. i like the stock one just didn't like the silver and extra chrome so i just worked on what i already had. cost less than $40 for supplies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LLSJ07R/T said:
nice! :eek: you should put in the chrome/amber bulb and i like it with out the orange reflector. [email protected]@ks great anyway!
that's pretty cool. i totally forgot about the chrome one, i've been thinking about what kind of bulb i wanna put in there. i ordered a bunch of the blue-ish ones from ebay but still need aftermarket signals.

·
Registered
644 Posts
how long did it take you???

looks good btw. after seeing that vid. i was half tempted to try it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
it's hard to say because taking off the bumper for the first time took a while. i'd say the bumper alone took 1.5 hours the first time because i was being so carefull with everything.

after that, it's just how fast you work. you have to bake them, mask off the stuff you don't want to paint (this took a while for me, i've never done anything like this before), sand, prime, paint and re-seal.

ideally i guess it should take 45min for the bumper/lights to come apart. 30 min fo unseal them and take them apart. i'll say about 1-2 hours for masking. sanding doesn't take much, paint and prime need a couple hours to dry and resealing takes 20 min but needs some time to cure.

i'd say if you wanna do it in one day, your gonna need atleast 6 hours to do a good job... but i spread it out over a weekend. took teh car and lights apart on friday. masked, sanded and primed that night. painted sat morning. resealed sat night. assembled sunday morning and my car was ready for the week.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
deelow said:
Look's real good mybe one day you could do mine haha! Great job for real.
thanks, haha i don't know about that.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I definetly like it. If we dont get any real deal projected halogen aftermarket replacement lights i may have to do this as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fingernipp said:
I definetly like it. If we dont get any real deal projected halogen aftermarket replacement lights i may have to do this as well.
thank you... i got tired of waiting and didn't wanna shell out that money, i'm just gonna get some nice bulbs and i'll be set as far as headlights go. i don't think i'll be buying anything else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
mikemclawhon said:
Scale 1-10 how hard was this mod? It looks really good, I'm jealous. I think it looks better than the aftermarket lights I've seen.
i would say it's in the 7-ish range, although i've never done anythign like this. i'm 20 years old and the biggest mod i've done to a car before was change the bulbs and turn signals on a honda.

i would imagine it being a lot easier for someone else now that i've got pictures and directions on how to do it. i'm not so sure how it would look on a car that's not black, if you have a black car though... you should consider it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts