Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there is any major differences in boost gauges besides electronic/mechanical and boost pressures?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have heard the mechanical boost gauges are more reliable than the electric ones. they are cheaper too!

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard the mechanical boost gauges are more reliable than the electric ones. they are cheaper too!

Are there mechanical gauges with digital readouts?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

180 thousand percent incorrect. Take 2 seconds and really think about that that statement and I'm sure you'll figure it out.
I could take a pic of the pile of broken autometer mechanical boost gauges I have for visual evidence.

Are there mechanical gauges with digital readouts?
Not that I have seen.

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it necessary to have a vac/boost gauge as compared to just a boost gauge?

·
Registered
563 Posts
is it necessary to have a vac/boost gauge as compared to just a boost gauge?

There are units out there that combine Boost guage & boost controller. They both have digital readout and can allow you to read what the max. boost was. They both run off the vac. line off the throttle body.

1. AEM Truboost
2. eboost 2

I've had good luck with my AEM Truboost. While I keep hearing how crappy it is from others. I use it in conjunction with my AGP wastegate.

Holds 21-22 psi all the way to about 5,200 RPM then it starts falling to about 19 psi at redline.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The Truboost is a nightmare to operate compared to the Turbosmart E2. WGA alone should be able to accomplish what you are seeing at this point. Last summer I was running 22-23 falling to [email protected] That was on a retrofitted 1st generation AGP NSRT WGA.
It is not necessary to have VAC included with your boost gauge.

Want a cheap electric boost gauge? check these out: http://prosportgauges.com/premium_series_peak_warning_gauges.aspx

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there any reason to have vac on the gauge?

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Truboost is a nightmare to operate compared to the Turbosmart E2. WGA alone should be able to accomplish what you are seeing at this point. Last summer I was running 22-23 falling to [email protected] That was on a retrofitted 1st generation AGP NSRT WGA.
It is not necessary to have VAC included with your boost gauge.

Want a cheap electric boost gauge? check these out: http://prosportgauges.com/premium_series_peak_warning_gauges.aspx
Ya, it's a learning curve. The reason, why I like the true boost, is because, I don't have to get under the hood everytime I switch from pump and race gas.

My high boost is 23-24 falling towards 19psi after 5,200 rpm on race gas.

Once you get use to it, it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
get glowshift gauges

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
just got done installing my glowshift mech. boost gauge...love it, man it was a nightmare to install.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Tellin ya people, an electric gauge is waaayyy easier!!!!!

DvC, I find Vac useful for detecting boost leaks. If you always sit at say -20 in/hg at idle and for some reason your start seeing -18 in/hg more than likely you have a boost leak. You can also use boost PSI, as in if your seeing a large spike then won't hold for jack or boost creep.

Fastyz, I got ya on switching HI/LOW boost. Makes sense! I just HATE the menu system on that Truboost...Ricky Retardo for sure!

·
Registered
135 Posts
the vacuum is a good monitor for vacuum leaks, sticking valves ignition misfire, head gasket leak, excessive back pressure, basically any mechanical fault can be read by the vacuum

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i ordered one of those glowshift boost/vac gauges. for only forty bucks you cant really go wrong. see how it measures against my aeroscan.

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i ordered one of those glowshift boost/vac gauges. for only forty bucks you cant really go wrong. see how it measures against my aeroscan.

thanks for the help guys
For $40 more you could have had an electric gauge with warning and recall. Dead nuts accurate as well. Oh well, have fun running vac line to the stock boost gauge location:jester:

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
:bigthumb:hey dvc, i check my glowshift mech boost to the aeroscan....dead nuts the same!!!

Reactions: DvC
1 - 20 of 22 Posts