Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Heres Boston Acoustic Response to my email concernings the specs of the MusicGate Speaker System in Our Calibers :

Thank you for writing in. Congratulations on your recent purchase. The Boston Sound System found in many of the new Dodge Jeep and Chrysler vehicles are complete custom systems. Each one uses custom designed loudspeakers with digital amplification and a custom tuned DSP module optimized for each vehicle. We do not use standard aftermarket loudspeakers, and so the speakers in your Caliber do not have an associated model number, nor can they be purchased separately. This is in large part because the individual specifications do very little in describing the actual sound of the system. In fact one would need to know both the intricate details of the custom loudspeakers as well as the all of the tuning and adjustments made in the DSP module before even having a vague idea of what the response of the vehicle was like. Even with all of this information it comes down to the fact that numbers alone do not tell us what a sound system sounds like, that is a job best left to our ears. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions you may have.

Cheers,

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice. Still doesn't answer my question... It says 9 speakers. But then it says 6 (plus sub) Boston Accoustic speakers. Still only adds up to 7 Boston Accoustic speakers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kdogg said:
Nice. Still doesn't answer my question... It says 9 speakers. But then it says 6 (plus sub) Boston Accoustic speakers. Still only adds up to 7 Boston Accoustic speakers...

Look on Boston Acoustic web site they state 9 Speakers

They added the Caliber on there site Yesterday.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the info from the BA website. I see that now. But just trying to make a point. In the brochure from Dodge it says "9 total speakers including Boston Acoustics 6-speaker with sub..." Just being picky I guess...:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
kdogg said:
Thanks for the info from the BA website. I see that now. But just trying to make a point. In the brochure from Dodge it says "9 total speakers including Boston Acoustics 6-speaker with sub..." Just being picky I guess...:)
Mine has 9

·
Registered
256 Posts
Everyone's missing my point. All i was saying was: it says "9 speakers. 6 Boston Acoustics speakers plus sub." That to me adds up to 7 Boston Acoustic speakers. Leading me to believe the other 2 speakers aren't Boston Acoustics. I'm over it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
maybe the drop down speakers arnt actually made by BA?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's possible fingernipp. Or maybe BA is just being conservative. I always hate how companies try to pump up a product by fooling with numbers. The reality is that the 9 speakers include counting the front speakers which are separates (tweeter or full range in the dash along with a mid bass in the door) as 4 speakers instead of considering them as 2. One without the other would sound like garbage. But I guess they are in separate locations giving them the ability to call it like it is. Possibly dodge not BA calling it 9 speakers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My guess would be no at this moment....but i'm sure someone will come up with a kit/adapter/radio upgrade eventually. It could be possible though owners of the 9 speaker set up may not be so lucky......Wait and see!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fingernipp said:
maybe the drop down speakers arnt actually made by BA?
YIPEEEEE !!!! Someone understands me !!!!! Anybody else think the drop down speakers sound kinda tinny? :confused:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
EXcaliber said:
My guess would be no at this moment....but i'm sure someone will come up with a kit/adapter/radio upgrade eventually. It could be possible though owners of the 9 speaker set up may not be so lucky......Wait and see!
There are already adapter harness' available. While they may not be listed specifically for the Caliber, the wiring harness to the radio is the same as any other '06+ Dodge, and posibly '05+. Which is why you can put a used factory head unit from a Charger into a Caliber.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
kdogg said:
YIPEEEEE !!!! Someone understands me !!!!! Anybody else think the drop down speakers sound kinda tinny? :confused:
That's always been my understanding. The music gate speakers are not made by BA.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I 100% agree. The musicgate drop down speakers are very tinny. I usually open up the back doors and get some bass going. I love the configuration and that they drop down, but they need to have more bass and not sound like tweeters. And with the rear gate open, the bass speaker just does not give off the sound to overcome the tinny little musicgate speakers.

If anyone finds a good replacement for these, please post.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you look at the liftgate speakers they are alot smaller then expected when looking closely..............they are probrobly 3-4" speakers. Thats why they sound tinny. I'm willing to bet someone will have the balls to open the liftgate speakers up.........do a small mod, and put a larger speaker inside. Any takers!!!!!!!!!! LOL. If so post how you did it and some pics. I'm quite sure alot of people would be interested. I know i'm on that band wagon. Maybe i'll give i a shot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
kdogg said:
Everyone's missing my point. All i was saying was: it says "9 speakers. 6 Boston Acoustics speakers plus sub." That to me adds up to 7 Boston Acoustic speakers. Leading me to believe the other 2 speakers aren't Boston Acoustics. I'm over it.
That's odd because all of our material indicates they are in fact Boston Acoustics speakers.

"...the optional 458-watt MusicGate PowerTM sound system with nine Boston Acoustics® speakers including subwoofer and swing-down lift gate speakers is sure to draw a crowd."

"MusicGate Power™ Boston Acoustics® premium sound system includes 9 speakers, subwoofer, swing-down liftgate speakers, 458-watt total output and leather-wrapped steering wheel(5) with audio controls (ATJ)"

"Available 458-watt MusicGate Power sound system with nine Boston Acoustics speakers including subwoofer and swing-down liftgate speakers"

Here is a diagram from Boston Acoustics website

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/fac_vehicles_car8.aspx

Dan

·
Registered
256 Posts
kdogg said:
Back to my original post....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the Liftgate speakers in the back are the same exact speakers as the 3.5" Tweeters up front. Just a wild guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts