Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know if this has been covered... does anyone else brakes make a honking kinda noise when you goin in reverse and braking lightly? its kinda annoying...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not here. I've had cars do that do. I think what i did was slam on the brakes once or twice and it adjusted or something to where it didn't do it anymore... but don't quote me on that and I'm not an expert either.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In my Dakota, in the manual it mentioned something about self adjusting brakes, and when the brakes where applied in R they would adjust/reseat themselves.

Could be the same thing on the caliber, but I haven't seen any mention of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
in our durango, and the 97 ram 1500 we used to have... they both have/had self adjusting rear drum brakes... and my old 97 used to make noise ocassionaly... so that might be what you're hearing

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weird... hope i didnt get charged extra for that duck call in my breaks :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
You should hear my 2000 neon in the morning, holy hell....so embarassing sometimes. I had people give me the look, "Do you have ANY brakes left on that car??:eek::eek:"

I don't know how badly you are experiencing it, but maybe slight surface rust, and squeaks for a second when applied? Take back to dealer if it really gets annoying to you, it is a new car...let them know.

[Edited for spelling]

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, only happens like once outa every 20 times the cars in reverse... my luck id take it to them, theyd have it for 2 days and say it never made the noise....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had an 95 neon and an 01 neon, both cars had the same problem with brakes. They squealed like crazy in the morning, was very embarassing. I have not exp'ed this noise in the Caliber as of yet, hope not to either. My 01 neon also leaked like a sive through the rear tailight. If it would rain hard, my backseat floors got flooded.

·
Registered
506 Posts
that you def should have gotten checked out at the dealer.... i would have flipped a BIHOTCH about that....

·
Registered
126 Posts
mudstone said:
that you def should have gotten checked out at the dealer.... i would have flipped a BIHOTCH about that....
If you are talking about my 01 neon leaking problem through tailight, it started after the car was outta warranty and when the extended warranty ran out. Gotta love that S**T.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you ever find the cure? First time was the morning (with dew), convinced myself it was a rust film. Now it seems its anytime is parked for a few hours. Only reverse, rear brakes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
xcanuk said:
Did you ever find the cure? First time was the morning (with dew), convinced myself it was a rust film. Now it seems its anytime is parked for a few hours. Only reverse, rear brakes.
Well the weather(humid) has caused noises on all my cars going frontwards
or backwards,having said that I believe it may just the self adjusting of the
rear brakes I have heard it 2 or 3 times on my Caliber.

·
Registered
101 Posts
it happens to me all the time now... its getting a little bit annoying... but i dont think there is anything that can be done... i think it has to do with the rear discs...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya, still happens to e, dont know why... its only after the cars been turned off for at least a fiew minutes then put into reverse... very annoying.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine did it once in over 9000km's. The brakes were DIRTY from gravel roads...a good wash & have never heard it again. Another thought...are you letting it idle down before reversing? Cold start...like are the rpm's below a G before you put it in reverse?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts