Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
GOT said:
Hey Dan, do you know exactly what kind of oil is being put in the Caliber motors from the factory?

I'm wondering because I always run synthetic oil as soon as I take delivery. However it has recently come to my attention (see this thread at TheCarLounge.net http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2515790&page=1 ) that doing so may compromise the motor... or it may not. It looks like it may depend upon what happens at the factory.

How long is it recommended that the factory oil be left in the motor before synthetic is put in?

Will using synthetic too early harm the break-in period?

Is there any sort of precautions to take before using synthetic?

Thanks!
I would suggest leaving the factory oil in the vehicle until your first oil change to ensure a proper valve seating. The engine will also burn a small quantity of oil during its break in period. If you were set on changing the oil ahead of the suggested timeframe, 1000-1500 miles should be more then sufficient.

Here is what it lists under Oil Types (Page 269-270):
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API certified and meet the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard
MS-6395.

Conventional Engine Oils
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Your engine oil filler cap also states the recommended engine oil viscosity grade for your engine. Lubricants which do not have both, the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Synthetic Engine Oils
There are a number of engine oils being promoted as either synthetic or semi-synthetic. If you chose to use such a product, use only those oils that are American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified and have the recommended​
SAE viscosity grade. Follow the maintenance schedule that describes your driving type.

Materials Added To Engine Oils
The manufacture strongly recommends against the addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and it’s performance may be impaired by supplemental additives.

Dan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.