Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I live in Florida and no doubt we have bugs year round, and if there are any other floridians out there you all know the hazards of the hated love bug.... So My question is, what is the best bug remover out there??? I do not want to get one of the front of covers for my cali because they really peeled the paint off my last two cars. so far I have tried rainx, Mcquires, Turtle wax, and Simoniz and non really have helped at removing those stubborn guts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my PT Cruiser for 6 years and have taken it on numerous long, summertime trips. I've found the best way to keep bugs from being hard to remove is to keep the car waxed and use a detailing spray (such as Meguiar's Quik Detailer, or Mother's Showroom Shine) to remove bugs every day or every other day. I use a small terrycloth rag or towel to rub off the bug guts after letting the detail spray soak for about 10 seconds. Another rag to buff the area after wiping off the guts brings the shine back to the surface.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not trying to sound like a salesman, but a good coat of Zaino after a clay bar will keep the bugs from sticking as much. Spray the front of the vehicle with water and keep it wet for a litte bit before trying to wash it to allow the "guts" to soften up from the water. All the bug removers are kinda harsh IMO, and you will need to re-wax after applying them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
HSKR and his zaino...i think the guy will be buried with a bottle of there product in his hand. lol....i use some stuff(can't remember the name) in a green bottle from wal-mart - bug and tar remover....works very well. and i am originally from lakeland...where are you at?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
boostdog said:
HSKR and his zaino...i think the guy will be buried with a bottle of there product in his hand. lol
Hey, what can i say. I support what I use, and only speak from my own personal experience with it. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
oh i know i have used some of there wax...it is a great product. i was just giving you a hard time.

Bryan

·
Registered
108 Posts
HSKR said:
Hey, what can i say. I support what I use, and only speak from my own personal experience with it. It's good stuff.
HSKR,

What other products have you used? Zaino is an excellant product but for the price and availability (mail order) it's not the best product for me. My father in law's shop was given free samples of Zaino they were good but for a bussiness it doesn't make sense to use Zaino. I think the best quality waxes are Klasse, souveran, menzerna. These are better than Zaino but expensive and also mail order. Meguiar's waxes are just as good as the others if not better than some of them. Meguiar's are very affordable and easy to buy. I just go to my local paint and body supply shop. For the consumer's line I can even go to any local auto parts store. Comparing Zaino to Turtle wax, Rain Dance, and Simonize Zaino would be the best. How can you say oatmeal cookies are your favorite if you never tried chocolate chip?

But what's important is use what you like. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gunk Bug'n'Tar remover... followed by a wash/wax...

I cringe everytime people mention using WD-40 on their paint...It may not hurt it immediately, but after years of uses, you may see some differences...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the ideas everyone keep them coming:) I can tell you all however that I have had my cali for about 4mths now, and it has been waxed at the very least 6 times with mcquires tech wax. I also wash the cali with a safe non wax removing car wash by mcquires once or twice a week. but still the guts are hard to get off.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Why spend money trying out several products, when other people have already done the leg work, and you are using a product that works better than most people think. I've seen websites where people have compared Zaino to both Mothers, and meguire's products, as well as some more expensive mail order products. the Zaino lasted longer and looked better than the others. And this was a guy who swore by the higher price mail order stuff he was using before. He did the test to try and shut people up talking about the other products, and ended up realizing the stuff he was using wasn't the best. Like I said, in my experience with bugs, and the Zaino on my truck, the bugs washed off a lot easier than when washing cars without the Zaino on it. And I lived in the San Jauquin Valley in Cali for years where the bugs and honey bees were horrible in the summer. Bad enough that you alsmot had to clean your windsheild every day. Like i said, it was just my recomendation. A free sample used one time isn't going to give you a very good idea of how well a product actually works long term and applied properly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We still have lots of Zaino products. They were very generous. They have great products. You can't go wrong using Zaino. Unless your a bussiness, then it could be very expensive. Like I have said before I like Meguiar's because it's very high quality, very inexpensive, and easy to get. As far a letting other people do the leg work for you great idea. Go to
autopia.org
And see what other people are using. This is a site that is non speecific to any one product. It is a site for professional detailer and hard core enthusiast. There are many comparisions done there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
dawson said:
Gunk Bug'n'Tar remover... followed by a wash/wax...
x2 ftw...that stuff is awesome!

Im really picky about my wheel wells/liners and I spray it in there too and wipe it down and good as new :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found that using Turtle Wax Bug and tar remover after softening up the bugs with water and letting the remover soak for 5 mins and then using a bug sponge works quite well. I wash the bugs off of my caliber every few weeks and i havent noticed any ill effects on my paint job with using this product or the bug sponge.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was at Wal-mart today and I saw a whole end rack in the automotive section that had "Love-Bug Remover", made by Gunk. Didn't have time to read the lable yet, but was glad to see it on the shelf. I will be buying some real soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts