Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have some rediculous bump steer at highway speed? I brought my car in to the dealership for a pull i noticed around town and they didnt throw it on the alignment rack as i asked. Instead they rotated the tires and the pull is nearly unnoticable now. Due to my in town daily commute and nearly 0 highway miles on the car i hadnt really noticed the bump steer issue till a few days ago when i went on a short road trip. Even expantion joits will send the car nearly into the next lane. I set up another appointment for an alignment and im not leaving till its done, but im curious if anyone else had the same issue.

G

·
Fingernipp said:
Anyone else have some rediculous bump steer at highway speed? I brought my car in to the dealership for a pull i noticed around town and they didnt throw it on the alignment rack as i asked. Instead they rotated the tires and the pull is nearly unnoticable now. Due to my in town daily commute and nearly 0 highway miles on the car i hadnt really noticed the bump steer issue till a few days ago when i went on a short road trip. Even expantion joits will send the car nearly into the next lane. I set up another appointment for an alignment and im not leaving till its done, but im curious if anyone else had the same issue.
What day was the problem on ? The reason I ask is because I had the same problem on the highway the day after we had that storm last week. I had some ice frozen in the tires and rims. I brought it the dealership and they cleaned them all off for me and everything and it cleared it right up.

When I got on the highway the day it happened the cali just started shaking really bad and was all over the road because of it. But as soon as I left the dealer and everything it was fine.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh nah i had the ice issue and cleaned that out after that storm too. It has always had the bumpsteer issue but i just dont drive on the highway enough to have really been concerned about it, or realise the severity of it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have not noticed any sort of bump steer on ours... 10K+ miles and nothing like you have described.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nope. None here either. We've got a local section of highway on a hill that has developed some bad uneven dips due to subsidence. The Cali handles those actually quite well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have noticed only the slightest hint of it, but only when hitting large bumps at highway speeds while making sharp turns (like a cloverleaf ramp on the interstate). Nothing that worries me. My 2000 Dakota will nearly jump sideways on the same bump while the 2000 Neon I had before would not be upset in the slightest by the same bump. Does yours do it only while making sharper turns with bumps? If it wants to jerk sideways on a bump in the road that is fairly straight and rotating the tires helped, it is probably an alignment issue. If the dealer won't put it on the alignment rack, it would probably be worthwhile to take it somewhere else you trust and pay the 50-100 bucks for an alignment. That would be better than replacing tires that are worn out before their time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know its been more than two years, but I do experience the bump steer since puting back on my summer tires. They are on their 3rd summer and approx only 12,000 miles
Did not rotate teh tires ever, figuring this was still low mileage, maybe that is what it is.
what ended up fixing it for you guys, just rotating the tires or was it alignment.
never found anything else loose?
I am debating getting tires rotated and/or alignment done at a small shop before driving 2 hours to closest dealer for full inspection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts