Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_flaming:Just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. Not to make it seem like it will happen to everyone but it happened to me in less than 10,000Km and I have never “officially” raced it. And I have honestly NEVER dropped the clutch. But I do shift fast and hard on a rolling start but only because I know I suck off the line, so I just don’t do it.

Driving into work 2 weeks ago shifted from second to third and all of a sudden had a mad loud rattle. Seemed to still accelerate fine and the shift from 3 to 4 seemed just as loud. Opened the hood and it sounded like the motor or possibly the turbo. But wow did it sound bad. Crawled it to the dealership and, long story short, after about 2 ½ days of diagnostics they determined it to be the clutch! Anyway seems as if the flywheel had “excessive play internally”.
They took the whole thing apart to determine that, and ended up replacing the clutch, duo mass flywheel, and throw bearings. All happened under warranty but it took about a week and half for the flywheel to come in.

So hope this helps anyone that may run into the same problem. Not sure if it’s the way I drive but I have owned many standards over time and never blown a clutch like this. Especially not a clutch that is designed for abuse. If anyone is interested in the mechanics description from the work order I would be happy to post it.

If someone has any input in proper shifting with this car I would be happy to listen.

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And by the way....

For some reason the mechanic also mentions in his report that I was using Royal Purple oil. Not sure why that would make a difference....

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
:icon_flaming:Just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. Not to make it seem like it will happen to everyone but it happened to me in less than 10,000Km and I have never “officially” raced it. And I have honestly NEVER dropped the clutch. But I do shift fast and hard on a rolling start but only because I know I suck off the line, so I just don’t do it.

Driving into work 2 weeks ago shifted from second to third and all of a sudden had a mad loud rattle. Seemed to still accelerate fine and the shift from 3 to 4 seemed just as loud. Opened the hood and it sounded like the motor or possibly the turbo. But wow did it sound bad. Crawled it to the dealership and, long story short, after about 2 ½ days of diagnostics they determined it to be the clutch! Anyway seems as if the flywheel had “excessive play internally”.
They took the whole thing apart to determine that, and ended up replacing the clutch, duo mass flywheel, and throw bearings. All happened under warranty but it took about a week and half for the flywheel to come in.

So hope this helps anyone that may run into the same problem. Not sure if it’s the way I drive but I have owned many standards over time and never blown a clutch like this. Especially not a clutch that is designed for abuse. If anyone is interested in the mechanics description from the work order I would be happy to post it.

If someone has any input in proper shifting with this car I would be happy to listen.

Cheers
Think that is where your problem is at :bigthumb:

I honestly don't think our clutch is designed for much if any abuse by any standard..... I have had a few other standards in my time and never blown a clutch let alone explode one (I blew mine a month ago). Though Aaron @Realtune did bring this up a while ago (year or something) that our dual mass setup is a weakpoint in this car. Not made to handle such abuse that we do to this car.

I was at 20,000KM when I blew mine.... so I definitely know your pain!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wow. Can you describe the rattling noise? I think I've heard it on my car

·
Registered
995 Posts
Dang that noise is bad! I hear something similar to that, but only when I shut the car off..?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have 30,000kms on mine now and I heard a noise similar the other night, I stopped into a store and got out with the car still running and I heard a light tapping or rattling noise from the tranny area, I got back in the car and pushed the clutch and it went away and I never heard it since, scary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. Can you describe the rattling noise? I think I've heard it on my car
When it happened it was as I was shifting. There was no noise and then when I pushed the clutch in there was a loud grinding rattle. Loud enough that I couldn't hear the surge valve anymore. When I stopped and opened the hood you could hear it but not really locate it as it sounded like it was coming from everywhere. My original thought was the turbo.
Odd thing is that I heard when I pushed the clutch in and the dealership reported that the sound went away when the clutch was depressed. So go figure.
But they origianlly pulled the oil pan etc.. cause they thought it was a cracked piston or a worn valve.

So its going to be hard to notice if your experiencing the same sound but from my experience it was loud. Loud enough you aren't going to want to continue driving it.

Hope that helps

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 30,000kms on mine now and I heard a noise similar the other night, I stopped into a store and got out with the car still running and I heard a light tapping or rattling noise from the tranny area, I got back in the car and pushed the clutch and it went away and I never heard it since, scary.

Worth checking out at the dealership. Could be just the beginning of the issue. Who knows.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For some reason the mechanic also mentions in his report that I was using Royal Purple oil. Not sure why that would make a difference....
Are you running Royal Purple?
And, how the Hell can the mechanic tell the difference in the engine oil?
Seems as long as you are running a synthetic oil, you should be ok.
BUT, running a different engine oil, will NOT void warranty on a clutch!
I just do not understand why he would even mention the engine oil.
You best be talking with them to be sure they will warranty your vehicle, IF, you should have an internal problem.
Better to do it now, then later, IF, a problem should occur.
Hoping the best for your vehicle and that you do not have any more issues with your unit.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Better find some wood to knock on! :bigthumb:
Oh I already did :rofl:

Are you running Royal Purple?
And, how the Hell can the mechanic tell the difference in the engine oil?
Seems as long as you are running a synthetic oil, you should be ok.
BUT, running a different engine oil, will NOT void warranty on a clutch!
I just do not understand why he would even mention the engine oil.
You best be talking with them to be sure they will warranty your vehicle, IF, you should have an internal problem.
Better to do it now, then later, IF, a problem should occur.
Hoping the best for your vehicle and that you do not have any more issues with your unit.

x2 how did he know that you were running royal purple?? Does royal Purple look different or something?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
x2 how did he know that you were running royal purple?? Does royal Purple look different or something?
smells like grape...looks like Barney:wave:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems that with some mileage on Purple, the color would darken and then look just like any other oil.
It still should be allowed to use Purple, as it needs to meet OEM standard's!
They were looking for ANY way possible to weasel out of repair under warranty, by checking a few things on the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

I knew it.......... Its the evil oil........

Seems that with some mileage on Purple, the color would darken and then look just like any other oil.
It still should be allowed to use Purple, as it needs to meet OEM standard's!
They were looking for ANY way possible to weasel out of repair under warranty, by checking a few things on the vehicle itself.
lol sounds like a crappy dealer if you ask me...:twak:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i think i get the same noise. usually after a while of driving i hear a rattle that i originally thought was coming fromt the engine bay. after a while a realized it was coming from the tranny. it goes away when you push the clutch in. i remember reading that its the throw out bearing. im hoping thats what it is and it isnt a problem in my tranny.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That rattle, which varies from barely there to OMG MY ENGINE IS COMING APART, but goes away as soon as you press the clutch, or even changes if you press and release the clutch, IS throwout bearing.

This issue was legendary on the Daytona, and I'm still in awe at how quiet my CSRT4 is compared to my Daytona which has a new clutch and brand new TOB (really new, like 100 miles ago).

However, a few months back I had been driving my Daytona on the highway, speed limit and flat roads (so no serious load) when I slowed down I started getting this horrific scraping noise. It only went away in 5th, it was so loud in 1st and 2nd that I seriously was expecting parts to fly out at any moment. Long, painful story short, it turned out to be a pebble in my clutch housing that eventually fell out.

I'd say the amount of noise that gets into and around the car from anything clutch related is FAR out of proportion to how bad it really is. Some rattle on a Throwout bearing is completely normal, some people never even hear it while some are hypersensitive to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts