Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to location of the cabin filter is?

I have an SE and I don't think it comes with one. It'd be nice to know in the future when they do become available, to be able to install one.

Thanks,

[D]

·
Banned
76 Posts
diesel604 said:
Does anyone know where to location of the cabin filter is?

I have an SE and I don't think it comes with one. It'd be nice to know in the future when they do become available, to be able to install one.

Thanks,

[D]
I think that ship has sailed.

It is not just a matter of slipping in the filter. The ducts have to be routed through the filter box.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not necessarily, wouldn't make sense to make a whole new system for just a cabin filter, something might be there to allow for it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The cabin air filtration is a component of the Security Group. (However much sense THAT makes.) So if your Caliber does not have this optional group, you don't have the filter.

Now, pg 273 of the US owners manual mentions the "air cleaner element (filter)". I don't know if this is the same filter or not, because it doesn't say it's optional.
And the maintenance schedules at the back of the book list a "make-up air filter". Also no clue which filter this is referring to.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well the question was, if the filter can be added later. It is a strong possibility that even though it only comes with the security package, that the space or area for it, is there any way, even without the package. Only way to find out for sure, is to see where it is suppose to be.

The manual should call it the Cabin Filter, the Air Filter will be in the engine compartment, but the CABIN Filter should be either in the dash area or at the bottom of front window, where the air comes into the car.

·
Registered
901 Posts
ejfb said:
Well the question was, if the filter can be added later. It is a strong possibility that even though it only comes with the security package, that the space or area for it, is there any way, even without the package. Only way to find out for sure, is to see where it is suppose to be.

The manual should call it the Cabin Filter, the Air Filter will be in the engine compartment, but the CABIN Filter should be either in the dash area or at the bottom of front window, where the air comes into the car.
(aww you didn't read my mind??! hee.) ya, thats exactly why I got out the manual.... but did get on a lil tangent on my answer, sorry.

I'm not finding it in the owners manual. Perhaps someone with that PDF service manual (MrTyke?) could look it up?

·
Registered
901 Posts
ok i found it, page 190. But it still doesn't say WHERE the thing is. Apparently it's a dealer service item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks EJFB,

I will check the passenger dash and the firewall tomorrow.

I was thinkin' if there was a space there... maybe the other DCX cars (magnum, 300C, sebring, PT) share the same size cabin filter.

The locking gas cap I picked up was for a 2004 Neon fits perfectly...so just wishful thinking.

[D]

·
Registered
683 Posts
My dealer said it is located on the drivers side rear cargo sidewall. During recirculation mode air is drawn in through vents located here and the filter is back behind the panel. No idea if thats true since it was a sales guy that told me this (sales guys know about the cars they sell?).

·
Registered
94 Posts
The filter needs to located somewhere before the cabin and after the air intake under the windsheild wipers. On the PT Cruiser it was located in the air box right before the blower, and was just an filter element which you could buy and slip in for $15.00. Next time I go to the dealer I will check with parts, which will have the cost and blowup of where it is located.

·
Registered
976 Posts
steveb said:
The filter needs to located somewhere before the cabin and after the air intake under the windsheild wipers. On the PT Cruiser it was located in the air box right before the blower, and was just an filter element which you could buy and slip in for $15.00. Next time I go to the dealer I will check with parts, which will have the cost and blowup of where it is located.
It's behind the glove box below the chill zone according to the parts manual.
I have the parts manual in pdf form and it shows it BEHIND THE GLOVEBOX!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Driver's side rear cargo?? Most cars/trucks have it somewhere up front where all the ducts are. On my xterra (I know, apples and oranges), it was behind the glovebox, and could be added anytime. Same thing on a friend's Ford and on a Pontiac as well.
I simple cut with an exacto, remove the panel and the filter slipped in, can't imagine Dodge making it any mord difficult.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have done some research on this and we found that the cabin filter is located right behind the glove box. The filter can be added at anytime by dropping the glove box and opening the door on the blower housing and inserting the filter. The filters are p/n 5081358aa and they will cost you 12.00 shipping. We will have the filters added to our website today and we are writing a install "how to" with photos that we will post up later today.
Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glove box PDF instructions left out one item. My SXT Sport, mfg 5/24, has an air cushion cylinder on the right side that prevents the box from dropping too rapidly. I ended up pulling the piston out of the cylinder when I opened the box all the way. The piston rod end fits into a slot on the RH side of the box just behind the tab. It has to be released in step 3A before you lower the box otherwise you'll pull the piston out and have to remove two O ring bands to reinsert the piston into the cylinder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Badpenny, is there any way you could send us s few photos of that and we will amend the install docs. We are not a Dodge dealer, only Chrysler and Jeep, apparently this is Dodge specific. We do know that the housings are the same for the two vehicles, and that this will work on the Dodge.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Caliber glove box has an air cushion cylinder attached to the RH side. Picture 1 shows the mounting hole/slot just behind the tab. Picture 2 is the white cylinder with the black plastic piston. The round end has a molded pin that slips into the larger mounting hole and slides into the smaller hole to secure it. It's a tight fit to get your hand in to remove/install the pin.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts