·
Registered
13 Posts
right on good work

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, it was hard work and patience. the pc is mounted under the passenger seat. at first it was a pain to have it there because when driving it was moving too much to the point the HDD and audio cables would come loose! but i secured the pc to the floor using bungee cables. i also had to secure the HDD ide cables with zip ties. but its working great now. i now have navigation, wireless internet(dial up speed) mp3, video, & dvd. im working on phonecontrol & game emulator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, thanks to you. i got alot of ideas from your install.
once i saw yours, i got alot of inspiration to start mine.
thanks for the good info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
nice really nice i wish i could do it in my cali

but why u didn't painted it with a littile glitter on the red paint

maybe it well look much better

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ado0o_ said:
nice really nice i wish i could do it in my cali

but why u didn't painted it with a littile glitter on the red paint

maybe it well look much better
you cant see it in the pics but the little glitter is there. it would had came out better if i had more even coats. the top shows more glitter than the the face. the bottom doesnt show glitter that much and seem more dull. what can i say my 1st time painting. overall is good. i could have sanded it down and did it over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, you and George_Greece have inspired me and I think I may start a car PC project. If, that is, I get the ok from the wife. Going to do some research before I pitch the idea though.

I noticed that you used the Xenarc screen and George used the Lilliput. It looks like the xenarc is bigger since he had room for the full double din radio and yours is tight with the single din HU. Which Xenarc did you use the 7" or the 8"? I think I'm going with the Lilliput and using a single din HU since I don't want to refab the AC control area like George did but, I want to make sure the Lilliput won't be too small. Though, it would be nice to keep the stock HU and cut costs a bit.

Also, concerning the screen, do you get a lot of sun glare? I noticed they have the sunlight readable screens now but they're ridiculously expensive. I'd just like to get an idea of how much glare you are getting and how much it hinders the usage.

Lastly, a general power question. I'll be using a laptop for the project (again cutting down on price since I have a spare one) and will be mounting it under the passenger seat. I was thinking of taking power from the ac adapter under the center console armrest. Any reasons why this wouldn't work? I haven't completely thought it out yet but it doesn't seem to bad an idea. Though remote power on will take some thought with this method.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you might offer. If I get started, I'll start a new post with workblog.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SXTman said:
Well, you and George_Greece have inspired me and I think I may start a car PC project. If, that is, I get the ok from the wife. Going to do some research before I pitch the idea though.

I noticed that you used the Xenarc screen and George used the Lilliput. It looks like the xenarc is bigger since he had room for the full double din radio and yours is tight with the single din HU. Which Xenarc did you use the 7" or the 8"? I think I'm going with the Lilliput and using a single din HU since I don't want to refab the AC control area like George did but, I want to make sure the Lilliput won't be too small. Though, it would be nice to keep the stock HU and cut costs a bit.

Also, concerning the screen, do you get a lot of sun glare? I noticed they have the sunlight readable screens now but they're ridiculously expensive. I'd just like to get an idea of how much glare you are getting and how much it hinders the usage.

Lastly, a general power question. I'll be using a laptop for the project (again cutting down on price since I have a spare one) and will be mounting it under the passenger seat. I was thinking of taking power from the ac adapter under the center console armrest. Any reasons why this wouldn't work? I haven't completely thought it out yet but it doesn't seem to bad an idea. Though remote power on will take some thought with this method.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you might offer. If I get started, I'll start a new post with workblog.
hey glad to see that some else is inspired the same way I was.

as for the the screen size. i used 7" it may look bigger that the lilliput
but its the same. just fabricated different. 8" screen would be alittle too
big to fit. but can be done.

the sunglare is not that bad depending on what time of the day, i usually
find it is worst during the early afternoon hours. but in the morning its
readable. this was also a concern but it doesnt bother me as much. mainly
just the videos are poor depending on the quality. but who's watching vids
and driving on their way to work.

as for the power,i believe george_greece used the ac adapter to power his computer. as for using the laptop, check out mp3car.com. they have all the info you'll need for reserching your project.

lastly, the caliber is a great platform for a car pc. the dash has a nice flat surface for fabing the screen and single HU. there is a good amount of space under the seat for a mini cpu or laptop and the sound from the factory speakers are excellent. hope this was helpful and good luck with
your project.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm going to start drawing up some block diagrams for it (yes, I'm a tech nerd) and use that to start figuring out cost and physical layout. I should be able to get this going for just a few hundred dollars and some elbow grease.

One more question though. Is there a device I can use to hook up the factory Sirius receiver? I know about the one they have over at mp3car.com but, according to them, I'd need to buy a new receiver. I know it's inexpensive compared to some of the other components but, every little bit counts.

I'm also thinking of buying a new bezel to use so I don't ruin the one I have with the dremmel. Plus when I get a new car I can just change it right out. Anyone have one they'd like to sell or trade? I have a factory chrome grill I'd be willing to trade for it. Again, trying to cut costs.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
ado0o i like the eyelids you have on there! Got any more pics?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey what Pc specs are u using and can u tell me where u got parts from. Ready to build the one for my cali jus not quite what parts i should start with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts