Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been posted but thought you guys might like to know, saw this over at allpar.

I know you guys are aware of the frontal ratings but they just announced 5-Stars for side impact as well which I think is great.

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/t_inside.cfm?action=news_pick&storyID=24285

2007 Dodge Caliber Earns Top Safety Ratings in Government Crash Tests
July 18, 2006
www.fleet-central.com

WASHINGTON, D.C. The 2007 Dodge Caliber has received the government's highest ratings for side- and frontal-impact crash protection from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The Dodge Caliber's five-star rating for frontal crash protection makes it the 12th consecutive new product from Chrysler Group to achieve the top safety rating in the government's frontal crash tests.

In addition, Caliber received the government's highest crash ratings for protecting the driver and rear passenger in a side impact.

Dodge Caliber is equipped with many safety and security technologies including high-strength steel structure, all-wheel-drive capability, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with traction control, standard advanced multistage driver and front passenger air bags, standard side-curtain airbags, and a standard driver's side inflatable knee blocker.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great news! I was a little nervous buying a car when the crash test ratings weren't out yet (I got mine in April) but I'm so pleased that it has performed so well!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was wondering what the side ratings would be. It is easy to get a good rating in the front but the side is alittle different. I am very pleased with this vehicle and this helps out alot.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats great to hear! I think a lot of the safety is what causes the Caliber to be on the heavy side. Works for me!

I will say that I wish the USA tests were more stringent. Over 50% of cars tested get 5 star safety ratings. Rather than the straight head-on test they need to do a partial front end collision test. While its not required some manufactures do this test for their own publications. It's much tougher to pass and more representative of what happens in accidents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to know this because when I lean on the car's sides they buckle really easily and I found that a bit disconcerting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It must be the car's high-strength steel structure that makes it so heavy, but that's a good thing if it improves safety.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A forum member of a german Caliber forum had a really bad accident.
I don´t know all the details, but they had a side crash, the car flipped over and is totaled. I´d like to ask for pics, but that isn´t appropriate I think.

The good thing is, that the passengers only have slight injuries, but none of the airbags opened. An expert told them, that the side airbags were supposed to open in such a crash.
Although almost unhurt, she (I think it´s a woman) is very disappointed & won´t buy a Caliber again.

This at least proves my impression of "feeling safe & sound" in the Caliber when I had the test drive. I really felt like nothing could harm me, like sitting in a tank ("German Spähpanzer" comes to mind). :)

But airbags not opening is really bad though & reminds me of my terrible front crash with a small (but at this time brandnew) italian car, where my airbag didn´t open.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DeMarco said:
A forum member of a german Caliber forum had a really bad accident.
I don´t know all the details, but they had a side crash, the car flipped over and is totaled. I´d like to ask for pics, but that isn´t appropriate I think.

The good thing is, that the passengers only have slight injuries, but none of the airbags opened. An expert told them, that the side airbags were supposed to open in such a crash.
Although almost unhurt, she (I think it´s a woman) is very disappointed & won´t buy a Caliber again.

This at least proves my impression of "feeling safe & sound" in the Caliber when I had the test drive. I really felt like nothing could harm me, like sitting in a tank ("German Spähpanzer" comes to mind). :)

But airbags not opening is really bad though & reminds me of my terrible front crash with a small (but at this time brandnew) italian car, where my airbag didn´t open.
I am glad that they weren't hurt. I know that I would be pissed if my airbags didn't work. I hope that it isn't a widespread failure but either way I definitely would be talking to a lawyer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The owners manual clearly states that the air bags are not designed to deploy in a roll over. It requires a hard side impact although I would think a roll over would cause that condition to occur.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huff said:
The owners manual clearly states that the air bags are not designed to deploy in a roll over. It requires a hard side impact although I would think a roll over would cause that condition to occur.
Yeah exactly, there are some cases the air bags are better off not coming on or aren't designed to deploy. Some people have wondered why when they crash into something at 30km/h the air bags don't deploy. Well you were going so slow anyway, I'm sure if the Air Bags deployed when you crash when you were going 30km/h you might have come out worse (air bag burns, etc..). Though each case is different.

But regarding the rollover, the fact she had minor injuries without the Airbags goes to show you that DCX didn't skimp on safety. :cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought the Caliber as a family vehicle (are we calling it a car, truck, or SUV since it has integrated parts of all of them :) ) It makes me happy to know it is doing well in the crash tests. I to also wish the U.S. would test them more though. You have me a little worried with this rollover news. :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
BethJ said:
I bought the Caliber as a family vehicle (are we calling it a car, truck, or SUV since it has integrated parts of all of them :) ) It makes me happy to know it is doing well in the crash tests. I to also wish the U.S. would test them more though. You have me a little worried with this rollover news. :(
You shouldn't be worried about the rollover that much. The debate is about whether the airbags should have deployed, not the safety of the vehicle. I have had friends that have had to spend weeks in the hospital from a rollover. I wouldn't worry about the safety of this vehicle, since the lady only had minor injuries, which is great since rollovers are probably up there with getting T-boned as the worse accidents. I bought it to be a family vehicle as well and I am very pleased with it. I hope this helps ease your feelings a bit.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks :) It always makes you feel better when someone is there to reassure you :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
BethJ said:
Thanks :) It always makes you feel better when someone is there to reassure you :)
Glad that I could help you out. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
BethJ said:
Hm...since I´ve started this whole rollover debate I can give you some more information about the accident/injuries to show you that it really seems to be a safe car, because she clearly states, that the Caliber is a total wreck (but I´m still too shy to ask for pics).

The woman also says that the good brakes maybe safed her life (so much for the fading brakes) but overall she is disappointed with the safety because of the non deploying airbags.

So all I know is that somehow the car flipped over and the passengers had concussions, one sustained a fracture and they all had lots of bruises.
I keep all you guys informed when she posts again or when the issue with the non deploying airbags is solved, because she seems to be consulting another expert. The first one said that they were supposed to deploy in that crash...

Greetings & good night and in case I don't see ya, good morning, good afternoon, and good evening! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe we should also keep in mind that maybe there was a good reason they DIDN'T come out. Air bags do kill in some situations. I don't know exactly how good those computers are or how fast they calculate data but maybe the car decided what was best. You know kind of like in the passenger side when it decided if the bag will be on or off. WHO KNOWS! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
BethJ said:
Maybe we should also keep in mind that maybe there was a good reason they DIDN'T come out. Air bags do kill in some situations. I don't know exactly how good those computers are or how fast they calculate data but maybe the car decided what was best. You know kind of like in the passenger side when it decided if the bag will be on or off. WHO KNOWS! :)
What some people don't understand is that the side impact sensors are in the sides of the car just like the front seat airbag sensors are in the front bumper area. The impact must be significant enough to cause the bags to deploy as they do in the government tests. In may be possible to mash a Caliber at both ends all the way to the tires and have the roof caved in maybe six inches and still not have the side airbags deploy if the doors are not bent much. I have seen several Caliber rollover photos to date without the side impact bags deploying but there just did not seem to be much side damage to me. Most of the damage was in the front and roof area. Sensors would have to be installed in the roof to deploy the bags in such a case. As far as I know, no auto maker is doing that yet.

So I would not worry much about this situation because it is the same for nearly every vehicle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts