1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
269 Posts
hmmm, I don't see any pricing info on that page.... were they comparing apples to apples in terms of the features?

Also, I find it odd that the Dodge motor is a 4 valves per cylinder design while the Golf is a 2 valves per cylinder... weren't they supposed to have he same engine? But the displacement is the same for both cars... interesting. The Caliber did end up slower in accelleration, but it is heavier. That extra 125kg on the Caliber just seems to kill it for a lot of important metrics.

At least the Caliber was quieter inside :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
That´s interesting, I test-drove both cars here in Germany on the same day and my general (and at this time unbiased) opinion was in favour of the Caliber. And not only because of its looks....

Although I really don´t think much of the "AutoBild" and their reviews (because I never saw a foreign car there, which was better than a german one) they are right with 2 things.
First of all, in comparsion to almost ANY german car, the interior of the Caliber is really bad/ugly in terms of the used material and the finish (incl. the seats). Germans can be sophisticated little bitches when it comes to that. ;)
And I also can confirm that the brakes were indeed better in the Golf.

But apart from that I thought the Caliber engine was a lot more "zippier" and it was more fun to drive. No indication of handling and/or suspension problems in the Caliber I drove. The top speed/acceleration were also better than the figures they mention in the article, although the Golf wins by a narrow margin which surely is weight related.
I easily pushed the Caliber over 200km/h and I reached 100km/h in under 10 sec. on my girlfriend´s stopwatch. (Did I mention, that she will never test drive a car with me again in her life? :D)

Greetings & good night
DeMarco

·
Registered
83 Posts
german mag-testers are never fair when it comes to compare german cars to foreign ones.

the caliber in europe comes with the 140hp-engine but with a reduction to 120hp - at least in austria - which would explain the Nm-torque difference. as well as some other differences. i guess vw did not do a reduction on the tested golf.

materials in the cockpit... i do not like the german fluffy-buffy-soft-material-fetishism...

why do they have the navi? i want it too, but not for the 2800€ it costs here...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Finland they sell CRD with full power (103 kW (140 hv)).

·
Registered
160 Posts
jatael said:
In Finland they sell CRD with full power (103 kW (140 hv)).
Same over here in Germany - makes me really wonder about what is going on in Austria though....:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
holeydonut said:
hmmm, I don't see any pricing info on that page.... were they comparing apples to apples in terms of the features?

Also, I find it odd that the Dodge motor is a 4 valves per cylinder design while the Golf is a 2 valves per cylinder... weren't they supposed to have he same engine? But the displacement is the same for both cars... interesting. The Caliber did end up slower in accelleration, but it is heavier. That extra 125kg on the Caliber just seems to kill it for a lot of important metrics.

At least the Caliber was quieter inside :)
And costs about 6.200 bucks less than the Golf in this particular comparison :rolleyes:
Any more questions about the world famous "Auto-Bild"?

·
Registered
96 Posts
thrhymes said:
german mag-testers are never fair when it comes to compare german cars to foreign ones.

the caliber in europe comes with the 140hp-engine but with a reduction to 120hp - at least in austria - which would explain the Nm-torque difference. as well as some other differences. i guess vw did not do a reduction on the tested golf.

materials in the cockpit... i do not like the german fluffy-buffy-soft-material-fetishism...

why do they have the navi? i want it too, but not for the 2800€ it costs here...
Sounds like a German version of "Consumer Reports"

·
Registered
83 Posts
well, they said in austria they restict it to come as low as 6l/100km to make it more convincing or something... it still has the 310Nm torque and i guess, i can unplug whoatever they plugged inbetween :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts