Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I'm averaging about 20-22 MPG with 75% freeway driving. 750 miles so far on the car, and I've filled up 3 times. I'm not overly thrilled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Gas mileage won't be great until the rings and everything seat in the engine. Once you get a few more miles under you belt, you should see an improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

It will pick up. It always does. I've got almost 3K on mine and I never get below 26.

:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Wow, that's low! :(
Is it an RT? My dealer said they wouldn't be as good on gas with the AWD. But, then again, it isn't broke in yet, so maybe it will get better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Well, I just filled up my second tank of gas. So, my first tank got 26.97 MPG (basically you can say 27). I went 318.30 and put 11.8 gallons in the tank.

I can't wait to see what kind of MPG I get after it's broke in! This was just normal everyday driving, some highway...some city driving and I have an SXT 2.0 engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

I'm getting about 23MPG with 2 top-offs done and a total of about 425 on the odometer. That is with almost exclusively stop-and-go tourist-heavy traffic, with some open road tasks. I'm sure it will improve yet with more open-road driving and after it's break-in.

It's still a tremendous improvement over the vehilce this Caliber replaced, a Dodge conversion van with a 35gal tank and that only averaged 8-10MPG:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

For the full tanks I've had 70% Highway/30%City I'm averaging 26-28... The tank right now is almost all city... give me a week or two (at half tank) and we'll see how it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

OUWxGuesser said:
For the full tanks I've had 70% Highway/30%City I'm averaging 26-28... The tank right now is almost all city... give me a week or two (at half tank) and we'll see how it is.
Which model & transmission do you have?

J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Through a 1/2 tank I've gotten 170.5 miles. (My old '96 Neon only got about 200 miles for a whole tank!) Since the Caliber tank is 13.6 gallons, I can figure that I have gone through roughly 6.8 gallons of gas. The mileage I have so far is approx. 25 mpg, through mostly city/residential streets and a few larger thoroughfares. I probably have only logged 15-20 highway miles, so I'm pretty pleased with this performance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

JDK said:
Through a 1/2 tank I've gotten 170.5 miles. (My old '96 Neon only got about 200 miles for a whole tank!) Since the Caliber tank is 13.6 gallons, I can figure that I have gone through roughly 6.8 gallons of gas. The mileage I have so far is approx. 25 mpg, through mostly city/residential streets and a few larger thoroughfares. I probably have only logged 15-20 highway miles, so I'm pretty pleased with this performance.
Awesome, and in theory it should get better with engine break-in!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Yeah, it should get a noticable boost in performance and mileage if you break it in right. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

I've found that I can increase my fuel efficiency by 2-3 MPG...

... if I keep the stereo off and don't use my fog lights... :p ;) :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

hrough a 1/2 tank I've gotten 170.5 miles.
Be weary, the fuel-o-meter is suspect... it appears to consume gas much slower for the the first half of the tank, while much less for the latter part. So in reality, half tank I estimate is halfway between 3/4th tank and 1/2 tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

OUWxGuesser said:
Be weary, the fuel-o-meter is suspect... it appears to consume gas much slower for the the first half of the tank, while much less for the latter part. So in reality, half tank I estimate is halfway between 3/4th tank and 1/2 tank.
Every Chrysler product I've ever owned or otherwise operated was the same way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

I just put my fourth tank of gas in it and on my last tank I got 28.96 mpg, I am stoked! I have the 2.0L FWD. I have about 1100 miles now and I can't wait to see what kind of mpg I get when it's broke in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

ghoticov said:
I just put my fourth tank of gas in it and on my last tank I got 28.96 mpg, I am stoked! I have the 2.0L FWD. I have about 1100 miles now and I can't wait to see what kind of mpg I get when it's broke in.
What estimate 50/50, 60/40 so on split for city/highway are you driving to get those numbers?? Those are awesome numbers for only 1,100 miles!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Xtreme Thunder said:
What estimate 50/50, 60/40 so on split for city/highway are you driving to get those numbers?? Those are awesome numbers for only 1,100 miles!!
I would say I am just about 50/50....maybe 60 highway / 40 city. But I really have to say it is a mix.
 
1 - 20 of 589 Posts
Top